Archinect
anchor

AA School: DRL worth it?

nona

Hi,

I am wondering what people out there think about the AA and a value of the DRL programme in todays market. I have just been accepted to the DRL (!!!); this is the only school I've applied to for this coming fall. I am pondering the decision to move to London now a bit more seriously.

How does the DRL compare to US schools? I already have a BArch from USC and 4 years work experience. I want a different, more global, experience and think that the DRL will give that. But moving is a big decision, especially if family and relationships are involved. How worth it would it be?

Thoughts, experiences, and opinions welcome!

Feb 9, 09 1:49 pm
fays.panda

email the aadrl school blogger, he will fill u in

Feb 9, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

nona/ anyone else: how hard is the AA to get into? I'm making my list of potential grads and really dig their emergent technologies M. Arch path...

Feb 10, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
nona

Podzilla:

I don't really know how hard it is to get into....I've been trying to figure that out myself.

I have a BArch from USC; I worked on my portfolio for a while and I think its decent; aside from that, I think that the "Letter of Intent" is also important. I don't really have any statistics though....

Feb 16, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
soster

nona, have you decided on DRL? I, myself's also deciding between GSAPP and DRL, very last minute, wanted to hear your thoughts

May 3, 10 11:24 am  · 
 · 
revlis

anyone hear back who applied in March?

we are supposedly going to hear back any day now.

May 3, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

As far as getting into the AA:

A buddy of mine got into the AA back in March, maybe late Feb. Can't remember for sure, but it was definitely way before April.

She has a BArch from U.Miami, with a 3.4 - 3.6 GPA. Didn't have to take the GRE. Has several years work experience in design firms and in some construction, and has an artistic background. I would describe her drawing style as hyper realistic to surreal.

She also got into the Bartlett and oxford brookes university.. She thought of applying to Columbia and Sciarc, but wanted to get an overseas experience.

Wonder if that helps

May 3, 10 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
C-anad

@ podzilla: easy to get in! I know alot of ppl who got accepted to different programs of AA with not a really specific background! Though it admits mostly everyone, I believe its a good school, and u get worthy experiences (its location is effective, too)...

May 3, 10 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

AADRL-bound over here. totally worth it because of the international flavor it has. Just look at what theyre doing over there, work speaks for itself.

May 3, 10 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
tyMArchII

I got into the AADRL and GSAPP. It was a very hard decision, but I decided to join the GSAPP for several reasons.

The AA might seem very elite/prestigious because of its limited size (being 1 of 12 students to be accepted to the DRL is an honor), but I find the small size and the 100% group work to be a drawback. The things I wanted to focus on at the DRL are the same things that I plan to focus on at the GSAPP, but at the GSAPP I will be able to focus on many other things as well (through electives and studios). The size of the GSAPP means there is more opportunity to try new things. The DRL has 2 travel options a year, while the GSAPP has over 16 (which are paid for...!!).

I also knew that I wanted to end up in NYC, so it made sense to go the Columbia, where 95% of the professors are architects in the city. Plus, many GSAPP graduates go on to work in great offices all across the world, but it seems most of the DRL graduates either work for Hadid or start their own theory/think tank kinda firm that is super specialized in only 1 area of knowledge.

Also, even thought the tuition is twice as much at the GSAPP, my wife will be able to get a real job without having to get a work visa and she will be able to cover our cost of living while I'm in school (which is 4 months shorter than DRL's program).

The choice is yours, but don't think about the school or its rankings or how pretty their renderings are, just think about what you want to do upon graduation and which school will set you up best for attaining your goals.

May 4, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
soster

@tyMArchII good to hear someone was in the same boat as me... my choice between AADRL and Columbia has been extremely tough as my situation is slightly different than yours, my bf is european and he will also be at the AA next year to finish off his diploma program. In addition to that, AA has also offered me a bursary which covers close to half of the tuition, which is really helpful and I feel really honored as from my understanding scholarship from the AA is hard if not impossible to get.

although very tempted, I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but it still seems as though my scale's slightly leaning towards GSAPP for the above reasons you have mentioned. GSAPP seems abit more versatile and able to provide more options than parametric design/prototyping, and there's a hunch that I think GSAPP would provide more freedom for me enforce my own agenda than AADRL will allow... so maybe I will see you at GSAPP this summer

hopefully it will be worth the 40K difference.

May 4, 10 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: