Archinect
anchor

cloud like

allSTAR

i'm trying to find some info on an installation that was done a few years ago. it was on water and had a cloud like effect. i think it was an art gallery or something. it was basically a huge network of pipes with tiny sprinklers that formed the envelope and sprayed water to create a foggy cloud like effect.

any info would be appreciated

Feb 5, 09 8:50 pm

you're kidding, right?

google diller + scofidio. you'll be deluged with info.

Feb 5, 09 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, it's the blur by d&s

Feb 5, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

I don't know of allSTAR is an architecture student (which might explain his post) but the above request is a great example illustrating the current state of education in architecture academia. I don't blame allSTAR for not knowing the Blur Building. I blame his studio instructors and architecture faculty who are most likely recent graduates themselves and who are probably just as clueless as allSTAR. I honestly feel that architecture schools today have lost or strayed away from teaching the most basic and fundamental instruments to do research. I apologize if I am projecting too much allSTAR,no harm intended.
Here is a link to the building you are inquiring about:

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/DillerScofidio/blur_building/

Feb 5, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cool i never heard of that one before. thanks for posting it.

Feb 5, 09 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
tba_vebber

I think I just vomited it my mouth a little bit.

Feb 5, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that buildings like a 70s fog machine at a kiss concert. awesome.

Feb 5, 09 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
allSTAR

ovalle makes me feel like i'm in a review.
i understand what you're saying but i think you are blowing things out of proportion.
nobody is "born" with divine knowledge and information about every great building/installation in the history of mankind! no one is "obliged" to know about everything from day one!
we all start somewhere right?
and....this has nothing to do with the state of academia.

Feb 5, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

are you serious, ovalle?! someone comes on here with a random question, and suddenly it's an educational crisis?! We've all had that "oh shit, I know I've seen this building... what the heck was it again..." moments. No biggie -- chill out, dude. We have no clue who this person is or why they are asking that. You remind me of those "HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW XYZ BAND?!?!?!?!" doofuses that ruin a good show...

Feb 6, 09 12:09 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

onoz
i might be able to balance out ovalle's question, if that qualms your quifyness about the state of modern educations

Feb 6, 09 12:52 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

calms not qualms. damn rainier. damn it to hell.

Feb 6, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

Why should he bother knowing such a derivative work? EAT did it way before Disco.

It even featured adaptive algorithms and networked typologies and other such fancy schmancy shit.

http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/pepsi-pavillon/images/2/

Feb 6, 09 4:51 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

kiss sucks

Feb 6, 09 8:19 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

I have a phD in fancy schamncy and I am licensed in shit - don't oppress me!

Feb 6, 09 9:28 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

And here I thought your PhD was in fancy pants. I stand corrected.

Feb 6, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

not to mention the fact that the second Allstar gets to 2nd or 3rd year he/she will realize why the blur project is not architecture.

It only too one sentence from my second semester prof to make me go from liking that "building" to thinking it was BS.

"Why would an architect want to make non-existant architecture? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?"

Feb 6, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 

'architecture' as a pursuit must accommodate all gray area, not just black and white. the brilliance of the blur bldg is that it attempts to tease out a boundary between architecture and not - not to actually make non-existent architecture.

the rigidity and prescriptive nature of that prof's comments about it would have tried my patience, apurimac. he was either simply being a hater, willfully, or he was too obtuse to understand the what they were attempting.

Feb 6, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

its ******* cheesy

Feb 6, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot

Who hasn't wanted to be in a cloud!!! Didn't you want to fly as a kid!?!?!

Feb 6, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

KISS does not suck.

Feb 6, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Cool Project: http://www.zakros.com/projects/pavilion/original_new.html

Feb 6, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

cloud like effects?

source: darkroastedblend.com

Feb 6, 09 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

good point

Feb 6, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, apurimac, that's a really simplistic claim. is not architecture about the crafting of experiential space? the whole point of that project is to explore how that can be done without using specifically "built" elements.

Feb 6, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

**[i[experience in[/i] space. I'm tired.

Feb 6, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: