Archinect
anchor

Survival wage or survival job?

DJ7910

OK-

I have BS Arch, working for 16yrs: CAD monkey, CAD monkey Mgr, 3D guru, Interior design, Arch Design, custom home design, store design,....

Sold our home at peak of boom, sitting on cash to weather the storm. Would like to return for M.Arch, but married w/kids, mortgage....

I can only generate a certain amount of paper architecture / RE Dev projects and remodeling work. Getting very bored and savings dwendling.

At what point would most of you be willing to go to a firm and propose working at survival wages, before taking a survival job outside of architecture?

Comments very appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 09 3:51 pm
med.

You seem to have it very good compared to a vast majority of the people fighting this storm.

Feb 5, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

Sorry- didin't add-
-No unemployment or other aid.
-Been submitting resume's in region since last August and convassing for contract work on west coast in and out of industry- nothing.
-Figure have another 6 months of saving.

Our area is Rural and 2hr outside major metro area. Unemployment "real" number are approaching 25%.

I don't think I'm fairing that much better.

Would others go to industry and take survival wage or survival job?

At this point groveling for a job is sounding like best approach.

Feb 5, 09 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

too bad you don't live in AZ you would have your stamp 10 years ago and broad range of reciprocity to transfer to any other state by now is all i can say to that.

i do wish i sold my 80 g house when it could have went for 200gs...

Feb 5, 09 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

do your kids a favor and get out of the boondocks - they will be less likely to get pregnant or drive drunk if you lived in a city. plus there is more work.

Feb 5, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

If you're currently unemployed, I would not return to get a MArch now to "ride out the economy". You need to conserve your cash to weather the terrible economic situation, which could easily last three or more years. Read the business web-blogs regarding finance and economy; there is a great deal of extreme "gloom and doom".

If you're in a non-urban area, it may be even more difficult to obtain an architecture-related position. It seems in non-urban areas, a great deal of construction is always done by contractors without benefit of architect. Construction as a whole has also drastically slowed down. It will get worse yet. If you relocated to an urban area, you're living expenses probably would increase dramatically, and the job hunt probably would still be long and difficult. I've been working for thirty years, and have never seen such gloomy long-term economic projections.

Before you decide whether to stop looking for a position in architecture, I'd suggest you review your family's budget needs. If you have enough cash-cushion to comfortably survive continued unemployment while looking for that architect opportunity, then do so. But if the cashflow looks bad, then I'd suggest broading the job search quickly to find a job with a living wage and insurance benefits. All sectors of real estate market are in terrible shape. People have also sharply curtailed their spending, so home remodeling jobs are also scarce.

Good luck. As a parent, I know that sometimes we need to make a decision "for the good of the family" at the sacrifice of our personal career goals.

Feb 5, 09 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

treekiller- My kids are too young to get drunk and can't get pregnant (boys).
Fortunately, the area we're in has a large population of retirees who seem to have solid cash reserves and support the community. So not a true redneck area.

Chicagoarchitect- I hear you on every point. I tune in daily to the mscnbc since 2005 and have been expecting the slump, but didn't anticipate it falling this deep. Though I think you're a bit gloomy on the subject. I'm trying to be realistic, but I want to be cautiously optomistic at the same time.

Oddly, I graduated from HS at the bottom of the early 80's dowturn and graduated from college at the bottom of the 90's S&L crises. Both were tough times, but we, US, pulled out and we will again.

I'm looking to commute (car or plane) weekly from the nearest metro area (2.5 hrs) with the best prospects. Have been thinking of overseas potential. I had a couple of offers for Dubia or Asia, but wife is not interested and would rather farm for a living.

Antisthenes- I've been wanting to get the licensing for the past 8yrs and have looked into other states requirements, but it hasn't come together yet. I keep thinking I "have" to get the M.Arch for some reason. Validation, everyone else has one, masochistic, not sure?

I was just on the "ARE Forum" site today and noticed a few postings regarding the requirements of other states. I'm thinking this might be the time to push hard for it.

Could you give me a little more detail on the steps, guidelines or testing details?

Still the question is - At what point would you go to a firm and ask for a survival wage instead of taking a survival job outside the field?

Thanks for the feedback

Feb 5, 09 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am working outside a somewhat major "metro" area, and i must disagree with the general assessment of rural areas. while i am sure there are boom and bust areas, there are also great opportunities; most large firms, with heavy overhead, chasing after the white whales have fucked themselves, when it comes to the locals. we have a ton of work, partly because relationships have been managed well.

Feb 5, 09 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

too young to get drunk...I didnt know such a thing existed

Feb 5, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

If your kids are young, they need a strong available male role model. Id say if your only architecture related option requires 2.5 hr commute (total or each way?) id say your family would trump that move and require you stepping out of the field for a year or two? Unless of course you moved. ID say, get a job (any job) for now, apply heavily to firms in this "metro area" once you secure a posistion you could possibly move closer, maybe not into the city but say 30-45 min outside of. THis way you have cash flow in the mean time, and keep shooting toward architecture until something bites. DO NOT MOVE until you have a job. Be best to take a step back and work hard at a goal. My dos cents

Feb 5, 09 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

go right to NCARB and see the broad range of experience option

prove 10 years pay a fee get polymetric testing approval i suppose, call, ask

Feb 5, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i would look into other fields...... and still send out resumes in arch.

Feb 5, 09 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
sierra

djohnson6940,

Your original post seemed to imply job situation will be easier outside of the design/ construction field. I experienced otherwise.

The current market is flooded with other highly qualified professionals, such as MBAs, engineers, lawyers.. whom you will be competing for the jobs outside of construction field. I have a B.A. in economics, but with a MLA practicing over 10 years. The business companies would first be suspicious about my motive of the career change, then compared me to the rest of the applicants who have MBA or engineering degrees. These competitors tend to be younger, because I could only start an entry level in another field. The result is clear.

I would suggest you testing the water by applying to all jobs that interest you inside or outside of design. Use all your network. You wouldn't need to decide until you get the offers, then you will be able to evaluate the real options in hand. Maybe Dubai or Asia will not be so far fetched as an option.

Best!

Feb 6, 09 2:19 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

I am going to keep harping on this issue.

You need to better yourself and separate yourself from the pack now. Everybody and his brother will be coming out of school with the March.

Get the engineering degree and become a master builder.

This will get you noticed, not the March. 40% of interns now have the March and for what?

Feb 6, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
binary

only reason to get a masters is to teach... (or get licensed if you need it)... experience has more value i would think than another 2 year degree...all depending on what you're after. i know people with masters that dont have a clue, and those that have experience that get over looked because of some b.s.

good luck

Feb 6, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Punch84

"only reason to get a masters is to teach..."

Couldn't be more wrong. A PhD will definitely land you a teaching position, MArch...maybe. The primary reason, as I see it, is you will get gain many more connections through the course of a Masters program via teachers and classmates. There are so many offices that start up simply because the principles attended school together. [Happens in every profession, but seems more likely MArch classmates starting a firm, than undergrad ones] Plus, I'm happy knowing that when I die I did 2 years less of cad monkey work.

To djohnson, Chicagoarchitect nailed what I wanted to say. I wouldn't take any bold moves [going back to school] to ride out the storm. The debt you'll accumulate won't be worth it. Unless you get a teaching assistant position, I wouldn't recommend it, especially with a family.

best

Feb 6, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: