Archinect
anchor

Dubai's Thyssen Krupp competition...discussion and results

form1

LOL - well Nils, maybe I would have won if I pulled out all the stops with a high quality render like Donis used : )

May 11, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
form1

Did anyone else think there would be something that spoke more to environmental issues ?

May 11, 09 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
form1

Nils - I was just looking at your scheme again. What am I looking at on the 3rd page? It sort of looks like you were proposing some sort of lenses that were projecting imahges from one side of the wall to the other, sort of like a camera obscura. That would be a cool trick to pull off !

May 11, 09 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
form1

Nils - I was just looking at your scheme again. What am I looking at on the 3rd page? It sort of looks like you were proposing some sort of lenses that were projecting imahges from one side of the wall to the other, sort of like a camera obscura. That would be a cool trick to pull off !

May 11, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

form 1; Obviously, Dubai doesn't really care about environmental issues; they are the ones who built indoor ski slopes, and what was that, a chilled or conditioned beach? Look at the second place entry... big circle with artificial waterfall. I mean, I don't have to get into technicality or feasibility on pumping that much water up to there (how much energy will it require?), but just wasting that much water into the dry air in desert climate doesn't strike me as an environmentally conscious solution.

May 11, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
redent
http://some-like-it-not.blogspot.com/2009/05/dubais-been-framed.html

or this

http://www.skyscraperlife.com/447252-post44.html

Resulta que tienen proyectos juntos, el tal Fernando Donis y Rem Koolhaas.
Esto es una VERGÜENZA, al menos lo podía haber disimulado trabajando un poquito más.
Una falta de respeto a todos los participantes.

May 11, 09 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
form1

sigh - well, it sure looks like you're right fulcrum. I guess I was just impressed (or maybe taken in) by some other directions they seemed to be going.

May 11, 09 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I stumble onto this.

May 11, 09 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
blah

That thing in Argentina doesn't really work... I much prefer the Dubai example. The way the Argentinian frame is sited doesn't do much for the framed view. The structure is somewhat more realistic although you probably want to make it with obtuse angles and less vertical towers rather than with 90 degree angles Again the catenary is what the bending moment looks like and you are working against this. Also, those rigid connections will be insane.

May 11, 09 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

make, I don't think any of the winning entries will work.

May 11, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
form1

here's another entry I found -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uchronians/

May 11, 09 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
form1

Hey Nils -

I did see a drawing of a cross section of the ring scheme, though I can't seem to find it again ( I fell asleep, and then my computer crashed). Anywhoo, they seemed to have an idea of a sort of gimbaled or gyroscopic thing-a-majig.

May 12, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
blah

Form 1,

That emblem of the "Arabic World" looks a lot like Dr. Evil. ;-)

May 12, 09 1:17 am  · 
 · 
theids

longest thread EVER!!!!.......................

May 12, 09 1:32 am  · 
 · 
form1

huh????

May 12, 09 1:39 am  · 
 · 
nils

archiclub's project is by far the hottest one i've seen so far!
N

May 12, 09 3:59 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Al Hakawati is male. Where is his penis?

May 12, 09 6:33 am  · 
 · 
form1

yes, it would have been a lot less strange if the guy had a robe or something on.

May 12, 09 10:52 am  · 
 · 
form1

hehe -
i just got that joke make. Sorry, I was up past my bedtime.

I'm a little curious why that project seems as strange as it does, seeing as most folks are ok with the statue of liberty. Do you folks think it is because of the awkwardness of the figure itself, or has figural sculpture gone that far out of the mainstream?

May 12, 09 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
form1

this page has a bunch - http://europaconcorsi.com/results/96099-Un-segno-architettonico-per-Dubai/rankings

May 12, 09 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

I just checked out the winner and the other entries. I thought the winner was fine... until I saw the other entries! I like the ones that had a lot of thought put into them. The frame seems shallow in comparison.

Who would have thought they were looking for simplicity? Personally I would have favored which ever entry looked the most like the Death Star :o)

May 13, 09 3:00 am  · 
 · 
hillandrock

Did anyone here Thyssen Krupp just posted a billion dollar loss?

That may explain the final design.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUKLC79802320090512

But BBC world service just reported a billion dollar figure. But either way, it's a lot.

May 13, 09 3:11 am  · 
 · 
form1

Actually, wasn't it OMA that proposed the death star as a scheme in one of their Dubai projects?

May 13, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 
form1

More projects added to Bustler's "(Non)-Winners" feature:
http://www.bustler.net/index.php/article/any_love_for_the_losers_of_thyssenkrupp_elevators_dubai_competition/

May 14, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
nyc

Thyssenkrupp is not financing this project, they co-sponsored the competition, so their financial situation will have no effect on what and if something gets built, although it sounds like they could use the work. The Dubai municipality is forming an internal committee(distinct from the jury) to review the merits and feasibility of the winning scheme, AND any others they might prefer over the jury selection. Since the winning scheme is actually not a scheme at all, there is no way to determine whether it is feasible or not, it is difficult to know the feasibility of 4 lines. Lootah has been quoted numerous times saying that they will build one, a few or none of the submitted schemes, and if they build they may not build the winner.

May 18, 09 9:35 am  · 
 · 
nils

"there is no way to determine whether it is feasible or not"

you are kidding right....a 5 year's old could tell its not buildable!

anyway i'm wondering where all the buzz/ complaints will lead..is there anyway to get jury's reaction in some way? why was the jury incomplete and the minutes of its deliberations?

N.

May 18, 09 10:19 am  · 
 · 
nyc

Relax nils, that was a polite way of suggesting that the winner did not actually represent a valid idea let alone scheme and therefore it would be impossible to determine it's feasibility. It's clear that you can't build what little is illustrated, nor would anyone want to.

I'm not sure that Zaha's participation, or that of the other two would have been more meaningful but this does not past the smell test in any way. The result is the only evidence you need to indict the process and all involved. I suspect this will lead nowhere, but I hope that Architects will avoid competitions involving any or all of the jurors in the future.

May 18, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
nils

no harm, sorry my answer was harsh with no intention of beeing so..

i think the move you guys are doing with the AIA should be done also with our architecture associations, and make a point at some time indeed.
I'll see if i can find the time for that and publish an open letter to our french organisation.

N.

May 19, 09 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Maurício Santos

We have just finished a video showing our Dubai's project concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xWuCKh_fo&feature=channel_page

There's also some more info at our website: www.hypestudio.com.br

Hope you guys like it.

Jul 3, 09 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: