Archinect
anchor

Re-Applying to Offices

.dwg

So I've applied to about 80 firms in the city before Christmas. I have a feeling offices just fade in December in terms of work momentum and in office work atmosphere. A lot of people and partners go on Christmas vacation, clients go on vacation, consultants work slower, making the arch offices generally slower, and even slower in bad economic times. That's my assumption.

Question is, I am still interested in the firms, but am wondering what to do after the new year now. Should I submit my portfolio again? I made some callbacks to the firms before Christmas as well but they weren't hiring.

What would you guys do? And for those who actually do the interviewing, what would you suggest?

Jan 21, 09 1:05 am
holz.box

don't resend the whole resume package/folio.

repeats are deemed unworthy

Jan 21, 09 1:20 am  · 
 · 

call them.

don't send a portfolio.

Jan 21, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

If you've already called them, less than a month ago even, and they weren't hiring, then don't call them again so soon. I would wait 2-3 months. Sorry.

Jan 21, 09 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

.dwg I pretty much in the same boat. Applied to a bunch of places, also wondering how long to wait until I contact them again. The thing is, you look at AIA sites, the Archinect job listings, and the survey on the front page of Archinect, and people just aren't hiring. What's NYC, something like 30% laying people off and only 8% hiring? Boston, 0% hiring? I know Philly is in really bad shape. I know of several firms that have completely gone under. I'm getting about a 10% interview rate from my applications, which is pretty good and tells me I would have a job by now if people were building. Unfortunately, none are producing jobs because the projects they were planning on staffing for didn't come through. I've contacted most of the firms where I interviewed and they just said that they don't need help now, just stay in touch. So I'd call or email, depending on what form of communication you've had with them. Good luck. I know how it is. Luckily (?) I'm living with the parents, so my expenses are low. Thinking about looking at Home Depot or Lowes to keep busy for a while. Not much else in good old South Central PA.

Jan 21, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
outthere

10% interview rate ...thats pretty good ..ive had about 5% in NYC

Jan 21, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

outthere, what happened to those interviews/positions after?

Jan 21, 09 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

well ..there were 3 interviews ...the first one I was told "after speaking with my financial advisor, we're not able to hire anyone at the moment...if things change I will be in touch"

The second one, was a couple of weeks ago ...the interviewer realized that I was more familiar with high rise buildings which was a different type of work then what they do ...right of the bat he was like "we'll thats not really what we do here and im not sure your a right fit for this position" ...i explained why I would be and I will call soon to follow up.

The third ...after I followed up, said they are interested in me and they will call me soon for a second interview

Jan 21, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

wow congrats outthere. i hope you land something soon.
any advice about NYC hunting lately after the new year?

Jan 22, 09 12:37 am  · 
 · 
outthere

thanks... me too

i sent you something, check your email

Jan 22, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

did you? thanks!
i didn't get anything lately... lemme try emailing you.

Jan 22, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

I think we could all learn a thing or two from this guy.

Jan 22, 09 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

ahhaha ...i love it ..LMAO

Jan 22, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

ok i'm reviving one of my old threads.

I am still kind of in the same position as when I wrote this post. I was wondering what you guys would suggest I say in my cover letter/email to the firms that are going to receive my re-submitting CV-portfolio.

It's been since mid-November for some firms that I want to contact again to see if they are hiring right now. Since then I've acquired my LEED AP status.

I know it's a long shot in this economy, but keeping myself afloat and "visible" to firms is almost the only way in this climate I think.

Advice?

Apr 19, 09 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I can't speak for other firms, but I know we keep records of applicants indefinitely. We know who are applicants we liked, even if we didn't have suitable openings for them at the time, and we might very well approach them when we do, even if it is a year or more later. If we need a portfolio or resume update we will ask for it. There's no need to reapply.

If you have a contact there, just call them and ask about prospects or status or request an informational interview. If they liked you and are keeping your application in ice for other reasons, they will probably get back to you with a meaningful response.

Apr 19, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I've been sending sort of a "project addendum" instead of a full portfolio, which basically lists projects I've worked on with some bullet points for each. But I'm at a point in my career where I'm not showing any grad school projects anymore except for my thesis.

In fact, I think sending a full portfolio to a firm is somewhat unusual... Anyone else agree? Though I did get my first job after sending a portfolio to a well-known firm. But they asked for it.

Apr 19, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I would add that my "project addendum" has one image for each project, with three or four projects per page. I got positive feedback on this idea when I first did it a few years ago, since it's sort of a quick "at a glance" summary.

Apr 19, 09 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

hey dwg ...congrats on getting LEED! ...sorry to here your still in the same situation... i landed somethgin in Feb. and what got me the job was my letter of recommendation ..i mean i had alot of good stuff but hands down that was the biggest part of my application.. also try to be the first to apply to any job ads out there, i used to check craigslist and archinect ever 2 hours during the day then a couple of times a night

Apr 19, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I'm pretty much in the same spot as you dwg. sucks

Apr 20, 09 3:47 am  · 
 · 
comb

In times like these, I find that there always are a few candidates who I make an effort to track, even though I might not be hiring. These are people whose files I keep at my desk, not buried among the ever growing stack of credentials filed in our recruitment cabinet.

As I look over what moves somebody into this special category, it's generally a combination of the candidate having strong education and experience, a demonstrable passion for our particular project type, a solid portfolio, and a certain persistance in communicating with me that tells me this person really wants to work at our firm (let me be crystal clear -- that last point is very different from "this person really wants a job").

In all of these cases, I've found that the candidate and I establish a fairly regular and routine correspondence through which we build a comfortable relationship -- such candidates are not a lot of trouble -- they're certainly not pests -- but they keep me informed of their interest in our firm and they let me know about things that might have changed in their world ... I do likewise.

When we start hiring again, this group of "pre-qualified" candidates is where I will look first to fill any vacant positions.

Apr 20, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

comb,

Thanks for the good feedback from an employer's point of view. I actually have been in touch with two firms that I've established this type of relationship with and I can truly say that I really have a keen and genuine interest in working for them. One office had interviewed me even if they were not hiring.

I am sometimes paranoid that I am being a pest to one of them, because they haven't given me an interview but also have not told me "no."

Apr 20, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
comb

it's somewhat ironic that the problem for employment candidates is almost exactly the same problem that firms face when trying to keep in touch with clients and prospective clients.

firms don't want to be a pest either, but we need to keep ourselves plugged in to what's going on in client organizations. it's a very subtle skill that takes years to develop -- i.e. knowing when to call, how to get through and just what to say when you do connect.

the key concept is "relationship" -- friends will take your call and be glad to hear from you, even if they have nothing to offer; strangers won't - they feel like you're "selling" and just wasting their time.

it's a bitch figuring out how to make the jump from one category to the next, but once it's done you realize what a wonderful transition you've accomplished

Apr 20, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven
In fact, I think sending a full portfolio to a firm is somewhat unusual... Anyone else agree? Though I did get my first job after sending a portfolio to a well-known firm. But they asked for it.

I've only heard of people sending full portfolios to top firms right after school - not after they've been working for a while.

although - I wonder what are the chances of getting a job at a well-known firm after working at a couple no-name places for a few years...

Apr 20, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: