Archinect
anchor

I got a verbal offer and then lost it?

queen

I interviewed for an urban designer job before Christmas at a 9 people office. By then the one of the interviewers were not in and the principal interviewed me by himself. In the end that principal said to me they were interested in offering me a job because they have "LOTS" to do and a people with my skill level is in need. We even talked about the salary and when to start. But he also mensioned that he still would like me to meet with that senior designer who's absent.

After lots of waiting finally I made it to talk to this senior designer guy today. He appeared to like my work first and even showed me some of the work they have done before. So I thought we were already talking about me working there.

But in the end he's like: Well...Joe seems to be impressed by your work, but we have got a lot of resumes here and I can't make a decision now. We'll let you know...we don't have a lot to do right now...how much do you charge?

So what is this? He does not like my work and is trying not to hire me? This is freaky isn't everybody sacked desparately look for job right now?

Jan 20, 09 10:33 pm
holz.box

me thinks the principal is the face and the senior designer guy is the management and they don't really talk as much as they should.

Jan 21, 09 12:44 am  · 
 · 
queen

Great I'm going for the coffee shop training tomorrow for sure.

Jan 21, 09 2:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wait, i missed it, where in the above was the offer again? [i read it three times and could not find an offer.]

Jan 21, 09 7:55 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yeah I can't find an offer in there either.

Jan 21, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Shit like that happened even in good times. Had a friend interview at a place where they all but signed him up for the health insurance plan while he was there. (They asked him what he wanted on his business cards.) Then another guy came in for a interview a day later, they liked his portfolio better and hired him on the spot. My friend calls back a couple days later and asks when they want him to start and they tell him, oh sorry, we already hired someone else.

From what I've heard smaller firms are often dyslexic like that. Big corporate firms are by the book with written offer letters, etc., but the small guys are more shoot from the hip - can you work this afternoon - type people. In that atmosphere anyone can theoretically drop by after you and snake your offer.

Jan 21, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

agree with Holz and Aqua....
it could be any number of things, based on what the SD said, I'm thinking:
a. SD has buddy that is unemployed and begging for a job.
b. Principal is either not aware or in denial of work evaporating.
c. they are working up to a low ball offer to average down labor costs.

could be all 3

don't take it as them not liking your work. remember this is architecture, and we are all critics. If you like them and want a job, I would keep in touch with calls and emails until they tell you 'No' for sure.

Jan 21, 09 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

always ask for offers in writing, even if it's only an email.

also, after an interview, send a thank you email THE NEXT DAY. this is also a good way to clarify what you took away from the interview.

also, if they really did reneg, it's unprofessional, and you should call them out. make them admit that they made a mistake, and let them know how much your life was disrupted because of it. they should apologize. i don't know what the law says, but that is just common courtesy.

Jan 21, 09 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Sorry, but to me it sounds like he never formally offered you the job. I think it's clear that he wanted his senior designer to weigh in on the decision before a formal offer was made. That's just my interpretation from your description.

Jan 21, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

i think in these tough times, people bank on 'offers' more than usual. we tend to overanalyze before anything concrete is put on the table. at least i am catching myself doing that. my rule lately has always been, to keep moving before any official start date has been offered. that way there is no room for disappointment or wasted time for either parties.
let's keep moving!

Jan 21, 09 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

I once received a job offer after two interviews, and had a final lunch with principal to confirm acceptance and start date. Gave notice at old firm, bought tickets for a quick vacation before starting new job at given date, and came home to find a letter thanking me for my interest in same position which had been filled!

I called principal, politely told him about the rejection letter from his firm, and was told I had the job and that their human resources person had botched it.

Call back the principal and politely ask same.

Jan 21, 09 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

It's relatively common practice to talk about what your salary could or would be, and what starting date would work best for you, etc. during an interview. This does not in any way mean you have gotten the job. Unless they say something like, "We've discussed it and we'd really like you to join the firm. We're willing to offer you a salary of X, benefits of Y, etc. Do you accept?" then it's not an offer. Also, this should hopefully be in writing (if not, then you would of course ask for it in writing before accepting).

Jan 21, 09 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
simples

job hunting...4weeks have passed since your first interview...nowadays, a lot of "busy" firms have had many projects put on hold during that time...from what you've written, I'd suggest sending them a line (Both) thanking them for the interview, and telling them how excited you are at the prospect of joining their office. Note the positives in their work, and follow with your qualities and how they match. Conclude by saying that you look forward to hearing from them. Wait a week or so, then follow up with a call...

nothing in what you wrote seemed personal, so I'd give them the benefit of a doubt! Good luck!

Jan 22, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 
queen

Sounds there have been even more miserable stories out there than mine.

Well what the principal said to me was like, though in retrospect it might just be my illusion: "we are interested in offering you a job in this office... we are going to pay the same as what you get from your previous office XXX, how's that?...OK! mmm, you can start sometime in January...but still! I'd like to have you meeting with the SD when he's back."

Agree that sound like a conditional offer, but if they can't make a decision right away why not simply ask me to come for a second interview, why bother mensioning something like an offer to get me overly excited and then have that SD guy sound rejecting me on the spot as if there's never a word said on their part?

All in all, maybe for us juniors the best thing is to always strive for a senior position so whenever shit happen again, at least you won't get your feeling manipulated at this and that person's disposition.

Jan 22, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 
simples

don't let it simmer too long...i still wouldn't take it personally.

if you do feel you are being passed on unjustly, on the thank you note i suggested above, mention the conversation you had with the principal, but do it respectifully. a LOT could've happened in 4 weeks.

Jan 22, 09 2:09 am  · 
 · 
outed

i'm - sadly, everything you said confirms what has been suspected above. that's not really a formal offer. that's a 'we really like you, so let's see if we can agree on terms should we decide to move forward'. also, it does sound like they wanted to bring you back in for a second interview - it was with the other person.

if you can rise above your (reasonable) anger over the situation, i'd call back the principal, let him know you're disappointed it didn't work out right now, but that you'd be interested if another position opens up. also, ask him if he knows of any other firms who might be hiring - obviously at least he liked what you had to offer. i'd be surprised if he didn't try to help with a couple of names.

and don't take it too personally (in a vendetta sort of way) - this profession is too small to burn too many bridges.

sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Jan 22, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Another point worth mentioning, don't forget the prompt thank-you letter after every interview, reconfirming what was discussed in detail regarding any kind of verbal offer. Such a letter confirms your interest, and your business-like manner. In this instance, I would have had that letter on the principal's desk the next day, outlining the perceived offer. "Getting it in writing" to the principal compels that person to act quickly, if not immediately, either to tell you "sorry", or to push the letter down the HR pipeline. Not doing a letter indicates lack of "attention to detail", which gets a fair amount of attention too.

Jan 23, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
queen

Thank everybody for your valualbe replies! I will know what to expect and what to do next time.

Jan 25, 09 2:38 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want your approach to be a high quality Architectural Photo-card instood of a formal letterhead. The last firm I was hired in years ago because I went out on my own after that stint I used a
card of San Xavier Mission, Tuson, Arizona as the Card. It does two things. It first peaks the individuals interest as to why such a nice card and then I lets them know your a good person it it has a thoughtful message.

Jan 25, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: