Archinect
anchor

Sending Portfolio to Potential Employer Electronically?

jtwood2

In everyone's past experience, and opinion, what is the best way to send an electronic copy of my portfolio to a potential employer?

The portfolio is rather large in size (about 45 mb) and attaching it would only clog up inboxes.

Should I host it on a site like Flickr or Picasa or should I invest the money to host it on an actual portfolio-based site? Or are there good free sites?

Consequently, is it unprofessional to send a link to a portfolio to a potential employer?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 09 8:36 pm
dia

There is no need for a PDF to be 45mb. Thats madness. Optimise it.

Jan 20, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

For example, I got a 17 page A4 PDF this morning emailed to me with images. Size 341kb.

Jan 20, 09 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
jtwood2

Interesting...

How do you optimize it? Or is this a can of worms not worth opening here?

Jan 20, 09 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The only things you send electronically should be: A) your cover letter, which can be the body of the email, B) your one-page resume as a PDF document, and C) a page or two of work samples in PDF format.

Pages should be formatted to print on normal-sized paper. I usually do my resume on one 8.5x11 page, and my work samples on one 11x17 page.

Your page of work samples doesn't need to show everything you've ever done, but just enough to make them want to see more. Then you bring your portfolio to the interview and show them.

The entire message, including attachments, should ideally be less than 1MB, 2MB max. Not every office has a T3 line, and most offices have limits on the size of incoming attachments.

No need to post anything on the web; very few people will bother to look at it.

Jan 20, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Well,

Firstly how big is it in terms of pages and images, and what size? Is it already a PDF or some other format? Or a collection of different file types.

Typically, you need Adobe Acrobat [the full 'haavve-to-pay-for' version] to be able to optimize and down size a PDF.

If its in another format [god forbid Powerpoint or something] then you can install something like CutePDF as a printer which has some controls for compressing images whilst making a PDF.

If you look at the job pages on Archinect, typically employers ask for portfolios less than 2mb - so that should be your benchmark.

Jan 20, 09 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

in my experience the old-fashioned paper copy is best - it shows you are targeting this firm specifically, and they'll take you more seriously.

if you must send electronically, I'd only send a couple pages totaling no larger than 2 MB of a selection of your work. Keep in mind that it's more likely that firms with HR staff would be less annoyed by electronic attachments than a small firm where the principal or some poor associate answers all e-mail (one job posting can generate 100s of responses in a day... it's really annoying to have to go through all these and print out portfolios - IMO, better to get something in the mail).

Jan 20, 09 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
jtwood2

The portfolio itself is about 30 pages in InDesign. Obviously, I would convert to PDF. When converting in InDesign, I believe there's an option for "smallest file size." I just didn't know whether or not this would affect quality.

I appreciate the heads up from both of you guys. Very valuable information.

Jan 20, 09 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
jtwood2

The firms I am looking at have all specifically requested electronic copies...

Jan 20, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It goes without saying that your cover letter (either electronic or paper) should be targeted specifically to that firm. A generic "blast" to every firm in the city will be plainly obvious to every firm in the city.

Jan 20, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
dia

jtwood2,

Create PDF's at a range of resolutions. If it is going to be viewed on screen only 72dpi is fine. However, you mauy want to compress all images above 300dpi down to 144 or 150dpi so that when it is printed it is still good quality.

Run some test prints before sending.

Jan 20, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when i moved out to seattle, i had the LIG special

-cover letter
-1 pg resume
-2 pages of sample work

it worked surprisingly well at getting a sh*t ton of interviews, but jobs were another matter altogether.

Jan 20, 09 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
queen

Do you use InDesign to make the portfolio? If so you have to choose "the smallest file size" while exporting a pdf. Also the linked file size matters too. You need to make sure they are the smallest as well. I made my 20 page portfolio 2M. But there's probably room to make it even smaller and I'm also wondering how.

Jan 20, 09 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I first used my "LIG Special" when I moved to NYC in 2007. I sent my stuff to maybe a half-dozen firms at first, got interviews at four of them, and got hired the same day of my first interview, by my first-choice firm. (I canceled the other three interviews.) I still work there now.

Easiest job hunt I've ever gone through... Of course, things were booming then and everybody was hiring. The process would likely take much longer if I had to do it again anytime soon, but I'm hoping I don't have to find out.

For those looking for work right now, I don't envy you.... Hopefully you'll find a decent gig soon.

Jan 20, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

no need to link to small size files in in-design, but do export to pdf low or medium quality and 150 dpi. if that doesn't work then edit for length. you can also optimize size within adobe professional but usually that does not reduce by huge amount.

anything more than a few Mb and i would not bother opening.

don't send a link by e-mail.

we get a portfolio every week or so by e-mail. we look at them all even though we are not currently hiring. more concise is better. we erase the ones we are not interested in and keep the ones we think could be promising along with contact info.

for the record, long and flowery cover letters are amusing but are erased pretty fast. be brief and be precise.

Jan 21, 09 2:13 am  · 
 · 
outed

i'm with jump - if i get a portfolio/letter/whatever that's any bigger than 1-2mb, it just makes me irritated that you couldn't figure out how to compress the file.

the 'lig special', as it so referred to, works pretty well from my perspective as the employer. right now, we're all getting a lot heavier volume than usual. so, do those 3 things right and as well as you can. (and honestly, if you spent as much time networking as you spend on the portfolio, you're much more likely to find something...)

Jan 21, 09 8:12 am  · 
 · 
jtwood2

While this might be worthy of an entirely different thread, what, in your opinion 'outed,' is the best way of networking?

Jan 21, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Mystykaljello

AIA or YAF meetings, USGBC or EGB meetings, socials, networking events. Most of the societies out there have meetings that are dedicated solely to networking. In Atlanta, the USGBC holds monthly "Green Scenes" that take place at restaurants around the city. Lots of people come to them just to meet other people and discuss green topics. The AIA has events too, YAF is their "Young Architects Forum" and is open to anyone out of school for 10 years and unlicensced.

Check around, join the email list, email the club officers introducing yourself, etc. The key is to get your name around, and then followup by being professional and living up to your promises.

Don't get heavily involved if you can't make the time commitment. The easiest and quickest way to spoil your name is to be THAT GUY that never shows/doesnt get their work done.

Good Luck!!

Jan 21, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: