Archinect
anchor

Gary, Indiana

If anybody could tell me if any of these buildings are still around in Gary, Indiana and not demolished as most of the news I found about them reported they were at risk for, I would be so grateful. Or if they have been "saved" and restored, if you could tell me that as well.

I'm considering using any of these sites/buildings for my thesis design project so before I venture up to Gary (and with it the holiday weekend I can't make any phone calls to the local government) I would like to know if they are at least still there. I can work on access issues later. Thanks a lot.

City Methodist Church, 577 Washington St

Union Station, on Broadway between I-90 and US Steel

Memorial Auditorium, 700 Massachusetts St.

Palace Theater, 791 Broadway

Any information you could provide would be great. Also if there are additional abandoned buildings/ruins in the area that you know if, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Jan 16, 09 6:07 pm
crowbert

Poverty is a historic preservationist's best friend.

Jan 17, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

doin your homework for yaz...GaRy!

Jan 17, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
some person

This is quite a beautiful elevation, actually...

Jan 17, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you know i've always kind of thought with a certain influx of money gary could actually be a really nice place. close to indiana dunes and the south shore, rail accessible to chicago. there's no question about it that it's cheap. i'm sure you could convert a defunct steel mill into a really perverse shopping mall easily enough. sorry for being off topic btw.

Jan 17, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Vado- That's the source I got all my initial information from. Beyond that its impossible to find must else on line. I was hoping there was somebody in and around Gary would might be able to give me a more recent update. Thanks though.

Bossman- That's not off topic at all. Gary has so many gems that with an influx of money and some TLC it could be the city it used to be. It provides the type of ruins I want to look at for my thesis project.

However I think I may do something closer to Muncie- the Richmond Gas Company, which I explored and photographed for 3 hours today. There will be more in my school blog post, so be sure to check it out.

Jan 17, 09 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Northeast Indiana and Gary at one time were well off

Jan 18, 09 12:51 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I wonder if any of these early 20th century towns will ever come back. Mi city indiana is sort of coming back and so is racine Wi. I don't know the prognosis for many of the other towns.

- note I work in one of them and the jury is still out if these towns can be saved / gentrified or just left to ruin....

Jan 21, 09 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

just stay away from Eerie, Indiana

Jan 21, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: