Archinect
anchor

Adobe PDF Portfolio that checks for updates to file when opened

selby

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a PDF file that checks for updates when opened? I was thinking how nice it would be have a PDF version of my portfolio that I could sent out to potential firms through an email and when they open the PDF it would check the file they open against an online copy of the PDF to see if any updates had been made to the file since it was sent out. Does anyone know if something like this is possible? I have tried searching but have not seen able to find anything or I have not been typing in the write terms to find such a thing. I think this could really be valuable, so after you send off a CD to a firm, if a mistake is noticed a couple of days later you can update it and have those updates be visible when the PDF on the CD is opened. If anyone knows anything like this please let me know, I have to send out my portfolio and would love to have this kind of control over the portfolio after it is sent.

Jan 15, 09 12:22 pm
daydreamnation

Yeah, it's called a website.

Jan 15, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
selby

A website is great but doesnt fit the bill when a pdf is requested. The tangible qualities of a pdf file still has value because firms can open a file, print it, and browse through many in a highly organized way that is often more clear and concise than the mess of a website.

I was hoping someone might know what I am talking about it, or if there is anyway to sort of create a file that can be more dynamically controlled, it could provide the instantaneous flexibility of a website with pdf precision.

Jan 15, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
meow

selby,

could you send a link to a website where the pdf is stored, instead of the actual pdf? Then every time you update the pdf, people will open and download the latest version.

for example - www.myportfolio.com/pdf

Of course you might end up with muliple versions everytime someone downloads it. It seems like this would be tough to do because even as a flash application everytime someone wanted to view your portfolio they would have to be connected to the internet, which might not be much of a problem now, but raises a certain number of issues.

Jan 16, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
meow

sorry the link was supposed to be a fictitious example

Jan 16, 09 11:12 am  · 
 · 
selby
http://issuu.com

I ended up finding something that was not close, but similar to my opening post.

Jan 23, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: