Archinect
anchor

11x17 printers-home office-help!

urbanaa

looking for input in purchasing a large-format 11x17 printer for architectural home office use. need it for line drawings as well as portfolio printing. please give me your feedback on:

-epson stylus 1400 (i know this will do the best color images, but worried about b/w line dwgs and ink consumption/costs for b/w)

-hp K8600 (concerned that photo prints will not be sharp, think b/w will look better then epson's b/w, also ink consumption seems to be lower then epson, prices are better, also)

-canon PIXMA Pro9000 (don't know anyone who uses this)

thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 09 7:05 pm
MArch n' unemployed

epson everyday and twice on sunday

Jan 4, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

I have the Epson R1800 and it is amazing!

Jan 4, 09 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
urbanaa

i too, am an unemployed march...fwiw...

-how do you find the line quailty of PDFS printed to your epson??
-why the R1800 vs the 1400??

thanks..

Jan 4, 09 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i have the 1280 and i've had it for 5 years and i still love the print quality. i can print .07 stroke lines from illustrator no problem.

Jan 4, 09 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
urbanaa

i have the 870, it's 10 years old and now really dead. loved it, though.

i think i am going to go with the 1400 since i can't find the 1900 locally and want the extended warranty from a store.

will let you know how it goes.

thanks.

Jan 4, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hp deskjet 9800

Jan 4, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
blah

The cost of cartridges will kill ya'

I'd go laser and black and white.

Jan 5, 09 2:11 am  · 
 · 
urbanaa

why the hp9800 instead of the 8600?? what is the difference to you as a user?

tia again...

Jan 5, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
narmer

I would definitely recommend Epson for your color oversize. It gets expensive if you do a lot of prints though. I also found printing drawing sets on an 11x17 inkjet to be very time consuming as well.
I do mass amounts of 11x17 b&w drawings, so I bought a used HP 11x17 B&W laser from pcretro.com and its been fast and reliable to date.

Jan 5, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
etiennecoutu

for PIXMA Pro9000

I used this printer for large renderings. Once you get through calibration tests, and have all 7 colors carthridges full, the results are impressive.

The carthridges cost about 50 $ for the C, M, Y and Photo Bk altogether, then the other Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta, Red and Green cost about 30 $ each and are harder to find.

You need photo paper of course to get the best results, and quality is pricey...

I haven't tried B/W plans, but I guess a 600$ printer must have results.

I'd say, find a second hand HP laser printer 11X17 for plans. The only thing is their big physical size.

Jan 5, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i dont print much on my 9800... but the few color prints i did came out nice.... plus i cn print 13x19 i think....

b

Jan 5, 09 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
urbanaa

ok, so despite all of the epson love, i went with the hp...in the end the ink usage and costs seemed more feasible to me as i am on a tight (archi-poor, as i like to say) budget.

i can't afford to buy 2 printers at this time, but will upgrade to the b/w 11x17 printer and a separate epson color photo in the distant future.

i will post back about the hp...thanks again, all.

Jan 6, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
innes

i bought an HP deskjet 9800 a couple of months ago - last year's model - at staples for $150 (floor model). it's awesome for printing renderings, photos and drawings. it's very fast as well. not sure about the new model that's replaced the 9800.

Jan 6, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
legeuse

epson r1800 will set you back some on cartridges (about £13 a piece currently here in london) but will never fail in quality. plus having 8 rather than 3/4 cartridges (parallel rgb/cmyk sets plus a "gloss optimizer") has in my 2 1/2 year experience paid off as it consumes more "specifically", so to speak..

Jan 6, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
crave

I have an HP deskjet 9650 that I bought about 4 years ago so I could print true half size sets (12X18) and I even found 12X18 velum to print on. To this day, I still haven't been able to figure it out...cuts off titleblock, not centered, you name it, wtf? I'm printing from autocad...any help? thanks!

Jan 6, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I just used a canon i9900 (not sure if this is the most recent model in this line of printers, or if it's older - I borrowed a friend's.) I liked the colors - pinks and yellows came out sort of glowing neon. I realize this would be a problem for some people, but I liked it. I would buy one, but there is apparently no driver for OSX.

Jan 6, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: