Religulous

most popular too (most seeds)

Jan 1, 09 9:47 pm
chaos3WA

MILK

Jan 1, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

oh, i thought this was a thread to list your favs. i didn't realize this was just your announcement.
my bad.

Jan 1, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha.

I confess, I have a hard time remembering the movies I saw earlier this year. I've seen about 15 in the last week though, and of those, I think The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may be my favorite.

Jan 1, 09 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I spent a few days this week watching movies as well.

Favorites of the week

"Tropic Thunder"

"Wanted"

Jan 1, 09 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

WALL E

Jan 2, 09 3:24 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

im slept in wall e :S,, for five minutes only

Jan 2, 09 4:35 am  · 
 · 
aspect

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSpCWJnnWVI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSpCWJnnWVI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jan 2, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
aspect

the machine girl

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpCWJnnWVI

Jan 2, 09 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Haven't seen Religulous or Milk, and diffucultfix, we must have opposite taste in movies, because I thought Tropic Thunder and Wanted were terrible. For me, Step Brothers made me nearly pee myself, the Dark Knight was good, No Country for Old Men, 21, Cloverfield, There Will Be Blood, Wall-E, Hancock, and Iron Man all made my list. I'm going to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button tonight and I still really want to see Slumdog Millionare.

Jan 2, 09 10:20 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Valkyrie was surprisingly good, given the negative hype about Tom Cruise.

Jan 2, 09 10:45 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i thoroughly enjoyed; There Will Be Blood, Slumdog, Dark Night, Iron Man, Milk, Buttons, Wanted, Changeling, In Bruges. Hated; Cloverfield, The Day The Earth Had To Suffer Keanu Reeves - and I LOVE end of world movies, and buildings blowing up. Want to see Persepolis, Let The Right One In, Waltz With Bashir, Revolutionary Road, The Reader...

Jan 2, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

best movie : dark knight
best scene: ledger in front of the exploding hospital....(so real!)

Jan 2, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i liked slumdog millionaire and burn after reading

Jan 2, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

there will be blood was last year.

thought burn after reading was really anti climactic and kinda pathetic.

but religulous, tropic thunder and step brothers had me in fits.

Jan 2, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Chili Davis

Stuck in bakersfield...with nothing else to do....

movies of all kinds will seem great - itw just an escape

but yeah agree - dark knight + iron man

Jan 2, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

no explosions, sex, violence, murder or even any satire of those things, but frost/nixon was pretty damn good.

Jan 2, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

haha, I just found out that that scene in Dark Knight was a real demolition of a Chicago Hospital. wow.

Jan 2, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rambo

tom cruise redeemed himself in tropic thunder, i'm sorry. that was just the funniest thing ever.

Jan 2, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio
Jan 2, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"Religulous...most popular too (most seeds)"

...Bzzzzzztttt. No, but thanks for playing:

BOX OFFICE
1. The Dark Knight Warner Bros. $530,540,885 7/18/08
2 Iron Man Paramount $318,313,199 5/2/08
3 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Paramount $317,023,851 5/22/08
4 Hancock Sony $227,946,274 7/2/08
5 Wall-E Disney $223,704,223 6/27/08
6 Kung Fu Panda Paramount $215,434,591 6/6/08
7 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Paramount $165,653,852 11/7/08
8 Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who Fox $154,529,439 3/14/08
9 Sex and the City Warner Bros. $152,647,258 5/30/08
10 Quantum of Solace Sony $151,620,134 11/14/08

DVD sales:
1 Iron Man Paramount Home Entertainment 9/30/08
2 I Am Legend Warner Home Video 3/18/08
3 Alvin and the Chipmunks Twentieth Century Fox Home Ent 4/1/08
4 Enchanted Disney/Buena Vista Home Video 3/18/08
5 National Treasure 2 : Book of Secrets Disney/Buena Vista Home Video 5/20/08
6 Wall-E Disney/Buena Vista Home Video 11/18/08
7 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Paramount Home Entertainment 10/14/08
8 Sex and the City - The Movie Warner Home Video 9/23/08
9 Bee Movie Paramount Home Entertainment 3/11/08
10 American Gangster Universal Home Entertainment 2/19/08

Source: The Nielsen Company / The Hollywood Reporter (January 1 - December 7, 2008).

Anyway, something happened to Bill Mahar somewhere along the line... I think he got his shows cut one too many times or something. He's a bit on the angry side.

Religulous wasn't much of a movie.

Jan 2, 09 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
invisiblecanook

synecdoche, new york was amazing

Jan 2, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Slev

synecdoche new york and Benjamin button (This decades Forest Gump)!

Jan 2, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

burn after reading and vicky cristina barcelona

Jan 2, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

the best movie I saw this year perhaps was Slum Dog Millionaire I was truly engage all the way through.

Following that Iron Man and Quantum of Solace
Some surprises Tropic Thunder
and Burn After Reading - which was crap, but the performances of Brad Pitt and George Clooney are Oscar worthy...so unlike themselves or anything they've played it deserves recognition

Jan 3, 09 10:34 am  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

i didn't like milk because sean penn acted way more flaming than the real harvey ever did. just watch any video of the real milk. penn's hamming it up to fit into exaggerated gay stereotypes is rather offensive. play the person, not the stereotype!

Jan 3, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
n_

My List:

Best Film of 2008: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Films I Watched in 2008 from Another Year: The Counterfeiters, Triplets of Belleville

Films from 2008 That I Still Want to Watch: Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Rachel Getting Married, Frost/Nixon, Revolutionary Road

Most Overrate Film of 2008: Dark Knight

Jan 3, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

let the right one in

burn after reading

Jan 3, 09 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

* Overrated

Oopsy.

Jan 3, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

religiulous was good but the whole concept of making fun of unintelligent Christians got old after the first 10 scenes...

Jan 4, 09 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it had the most influence. The fact that the more people SEED it than any other currently

1 seed is at 2500 and another at 6399 seeds at 1+week release that means there is solid support for it to be spread especially based on being censored in theaters around the world and being given limited exposure, as the showings were sold out everywhere i went to see it.

Brightening up the population one skeptic at a time

Jan 4, 09 3:59 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Anti, please. "Religulous" had the most influence? Not in this lifetime. And have you accounted for the fact that every one of the movies listed above can also be seen in alternative media formats as well?

Religulous made 13 million TOTAL. That's pretty much a bomb. If you look at Number 10 on the list, Quantum of Solace (just as a random example), well it made 150 million at the box office. Despite your SEEDS argument, your movie can't get anywhere near any of the higher ranked movies in influence or any other category.

By the way, your highly influential "Religulous" actually ranked 125th in 2008.

Arithmetic doesn't seem to be your best subject, Anti. And I can see that you are frustrated and emotional. If your understanding falls short, perhaps one of your "brightened population" is available to tutor you toward your fullest enlightenment.

Jan 4, 09 7:29 am  · 
 · 
n_

I kept wanting to cut Bill Maher's hair during the entire film. Or at least wash it.

Jan 4, 09 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

6000+ seeds

it is not about money

i hear the movie was made in 2 weeks

Jan 5, 09 1:42 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

" i hear the movie was made in 2 weeks"

Proportionate to its quality.

Jan 5, 09 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

create all the controversy you want or can, i am glad you exist, even if you are hate filled because it helps create interest and will get more people to see what has ....KURT... so up in arms and hate filled.

ps blow harder ;)

Jan 5, 09 10:32 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Wow, Anti. You sort of imploded there for a minute.

I've pointed out that your information is incorrect. Bill Mahar probably hoped for a highly influential film; all numbers indicate that it just didn't come anywhere near panning out that way. If it's your personal favorite, fine.

Religulous gets compared with Expelled quite a lot, which is essentially sort of the counterpoint movie for '08. It's another comic attempt made in a documentary-ish style. Both are silly treaments of a complex subject, and both are pretty lousy movies. If I made a post similar to this one and substituted Expelled for Religulous, my claims would be as erroneous as yours.

Jan 5, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

your point of view bores me are you going to keep this up? it is entertaining in some way because you argue where there is not one, your side points are noted.

the influence comes now, as the most actives seeders on a torrent shows, most people would not pay to go to the theaters and most theaters refused to show it because they are scared of the shame it puts on people of faith. I suspect some fundamentalists of these sects (zion xtian islamic) would even burn down the place.

Jan 5, 09 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

so Brights like to steal movies?

Jan 5, 09 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This discussion has been more entertaining than any movie I've seen this year.

Jan 5, 09 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

heheh lb

free thinkers i might assume go to see movies less often and download more often yes.

Jan 5, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Wow, LB -- you must've seen some real winners.

Jan 5, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well I did see Synecdoche, NY, and it was a really good movie - but not terribly entertaining.

Jan 5, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Dark Knight was interesting as a "bad boy" Batman film, but I don't think it was anything special. Cool effects and decent acting, but not a great story. Just summertime box office drivel. Hancock was the only other one of the top 10 box office ones I saw, and that was just over this past weekend. Another yawn.

Burn After Reading was my biggest disappointment. Great acting, but it was all over the place and just when it started to come together it kinda ended, without an ending. Maybe that was the point, but I expected more from the Cohen Bros.

I agree that Tropic Thunder was better than expected. Only recently watched it on a suggestion from a friend. Tom Cruise totally redeemed himself in that performance.

Still want to see The Day the Earth Stood Still. Usually enjoy a good EOTWAWKI movie. None of my friends would spend new release movie money to see Keanu so that'll be a rental. Also can't think of one independant film I've seen this year. Usually only hit a theater once or twice a year. Guess Dark Knight got my $$ for 2008. Not like they needed it. Sigh.

Jan 5, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Watch out, people. I'm still "up in arms" and "hate filled".

I know you're bored by facts, Anti, but could you provide the media source naming Religulous the official "Best movie of '08"?

Or is all of this occurring only in your own head?

Jan 5, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

alien vs. predator
freddy vs. jason
and now...
anti vs. kurt---the horror

Jan 5, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
religulous DVDScr XViD-BaLD » movies other documentary video xvid
14 days ago 701 Mb 5,926(seeds) 1,740(leechers)

need more proof?

http://www.mininova.org/sub/44/seeds

#1 on that page

with this many leechers and seeders for 14 days this thing is going around like wildfire.

look up all the 'facts you want be a nitpicker it does into change the reality of what is happening at this moment.
Jan 5, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

11,993 comments? Is that actually even right? Whoa.

Jan 5, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

@ vado ^

Jan 5, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

KURT: stay focused....stay focused......

Jan 5, 09 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Sorry LB! :-)

OK... here I go... fully focused... fully up in arms.... filled with lots and lots of hate and useless blather:

Anti, I know you don't care about copyright legalities, etc., largely due to your enlightened Brightened realm of concsiousness which you would generously help us all to achieve once we drop our hatred and closemindedness...

And yet....can you objectively base any proclamation, like the title of this thread, for example, on data from a process that is almost entirely illegal? More specifically, while torrents are not copyrighted material, and the software to perform such a download is not illegal since such providers store no material (like, say, a movie), the process is initiated with an illegal act, that being that somewhere someone copied the movie for illegal reproduction over and over without permission.

Jan 5, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: