Archinect
anchor

Environmental Tobacco Smoke

****melt

Does anyone know of any criteria out there whether it be LEED or something else that states one cannot re-use finishes/furniture that have previously been utilized in a smoking facility for a project that is converting to a non-smoking facility?

Jun 1, 11 8:33 am

Seriously?

If I remember my LEED correctly, I believe that ETS only applied to airflow, designation areas and restrictions.

I wouldn't try to salvage upholstered items but anything nonporous to semi-porous can be easily cleaned by using solutions of ammonia and alcohol used one after another but never at the same time (unless, of course, you're looking to file an insurance claim very quickly). Unfortunately, cleaning painted, varnished and lacquers surfaces with ammonia or alcohol will destroy them pretty quickly unless you're working remarkably fast. Use as little water as possible though because tobacco tar is water-soluble and you'll just end up pushing it deeper into the finish.

The best option is to half-assedly clean them and then reseal the surfaces to minimize exposure.

Jun 1, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks James.  I COMPLETELY agree

Our client's tenant is now balking at providing funds to convert a smoking facility to a non-smoking facility.  They are arguing that it's not necessary to replace the finishes and furniture.  It's a complete WTF.  We provided them with medical case studies but I would love to find potential or current legislation that supports the findings.

After reading the findings, it makes me ill to think of nicotine's lingering health dangers after officially leaving the building.

Jun 1, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Nicotine isn't exactly asbestos or depleted uranium. A good scrub-down would be sufficient. When the no smoking bans were enacted across the country, it's not like all the bars needed to replace all their finishes and furniture.

Unless new use of this facility is microprocessor r&d, you are worrying too much about this.

Jun 1, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: