Archinect
anchor

Who is hiring?

onlinematt

While the global financial crisis has demanded a round of temporary hiring freezes, downsizing, and layoffs, what firms are currently hiring? Location? Size? Typology?

Is anyone getting hired at the moment?

Nov 26, 08 4:54 pm
Antisthenes

temporary?

Nov 26, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Very few firms are hiring right now. The holiday season (Thanksgiving to New Years) is typically not an active hiring period, but this year is especially inactive.

Check the Jobs section for a list of currently open positions.

Nov 26, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

or

job boards

Nov 26, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen some of the larger firms here in Boston post some jobs on the BSA website (architects.org) but I'm sure recent layoffs from other firms in town are all over 'em.

Nov 26, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look into other avenues

exhibit design/engineering/draftsman......

adjunct professor

high school programs

local unions needing labors

community colleges that seek teachers..

learn some tactics of being 'self-employed' also... marketing/portfolio/contacts/etc

Nov 26, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
onlinematt

:crizzler: - let's not get off topic. My interest is in finding out the architecture firms that are currently hiring. However, your suggestions are creative, and are deserving of a dedicated thread which discusses the various other vocations in which architects are qualified to practice.

So, what firms are hiring?

Nov 26, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ok

good luck

Nov 26, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

whatcha offering onlinematt ?

Nov 27, 08 7:28 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

My employer made 20 people redundant and, less than a week after the last person left, found they had secured a major contract. Bit of a p*sser for them because they can't legally rehire the qualified staff they let go. So they are now rehiring new staff. Big UK firm, if I told you anything else I'd have to kill you.

Nov 27, 08 8:20 am  · 
 · 
legeuse

seriously? in some other european countries there's on the contrary a "re-hire guarantee". you have to ask for it though when they're firing you, so I guess it could be below many to actually do it..

Nov 27, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i might be hiring...my housekeeper has been lethargic recently & if anyone is willing to do a better job or work cheaper then i'll consider firing her.

Nov 27, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
outed

online -

you're going to find some really cynical posts here. not sure if you're looking yourself, but a fair number of people posting here are. if we/they/whoever knew who was hiring right now, in quantity, they'd be deluged.

my guess is that all firms are getting bombarded with resumes right now. those who are truly hiring (or may about to) probably don't have to do too much advertising and would look for help via word of mouth first, just to save themselves from being flooded with responses to an ad.

everyone is getting squeezed. federal government work, in the u.s., seems to be 'safest' but even that doesn't mean a firm doing that work is safe.

Nov 27, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
med.

I'll actually answer, online's question.

In DC I only know of a handful of firms that are actually hiring -- CAREFULLY and strategically. A vast majority are downsizing or have already downsized.

Word on the street is that HOK Washington DC is hiring and trying to increase it's team to just under 200 from 120.

Nov 27, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Dear god, am I always this incoherent when I'm drunk?

Nov 27, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Architects without borders and UN

Nov 27, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
onlinematt

Archmed - thanks for you reply. Your'e one of the few who has actually considered the question!

I would urge you to consider posting in the "Do You Drink at Work?" thread...

Nov 27, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i'm unemployed

Nov 29, 08 3:17 am  · 
 · 

There are a bunch of firms that I've seen in the DC area that have help wanted ads on their websites, but as to whether they are actually filling those positions or not, who knows.

I know that the craigslist section has been relatively quite lately as has the AIA boards.

Nov 30, 08 12:56 am  · 
 · 
latha

HEY architect from India ...with 11 years of experience with specialization in corporate interiors.Let me know if any work is there...freelancing,drafting,design...etc etc

Nov 21, 13 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

way to dig up a 5 year old board.

Nov 22, 13 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: