Archinect
anchor

Corel Draw anybody?

c.k.

Just wondering if anybody has ever used it.
I know i should probably use In Design for what I need, but I heard this is the other option for making multi page layouts, you know, portfolios and the like (also, it's vector based).

Sep 29, 04 3:09 pm
pencrush

I haven't used Corel Draw, but if you're looking to do a portfolio layout in a vector based program, you could always use Freehand. It's similar to Illustrator, but allows you to do multiple pages in one document.

I just redid my portfolio, and did it in InDesign (because I didn't have a copy of Freehand at home). I had never used InDesign before, and for basic page layout items, it was fairly easy to learn. It comes with good help info, and obviously integrates with Illustrator and Photoshop seamlessly.

Sep 29, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
weave

pagemaker is a great multi-page formatting program, but i would just stick to illustrator...
i worked for an office that used corel draw and it's kind of an antiquated program w/ some real strange interface...maybe i'm just used to adobe products...

Sep 29, 04 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
caste

wow finally a post about corel. Ive used it forever and the new release is excellent. Its a vector based program but cross integrates itself with corel paint so that you can seemlesly edit bitmaps. I have to say ive been trying to learn illustrator lately and Corel is miles ahead. there are only two signifigant issues. First is that it tends to have trouble reading adobe originated vector files, that means its tough to get vector work out of autocad. there is a pdf printer I can recomend but if anyone has any corel specific advice let me know. Second is that almost noone uses it. Its really sad but it has no market share and you are gonna suffer being a corel user in an adobe world.

Sep 29, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

We have Corel at school and everything that comes out of it looks kindergartenish. I echo the statement above that the interface is strange. In addition file sizes are ridiculously huge and back up the plotter servers. I've only used it a couple times. I was not impressed. I'm an Adobe man myself.

Sep 29, 04 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

yeah, me too I hate Illustrator, and the fact that everything in the adobe package is so super specialized. I'm a big fan of Photoshop but you'd laugh to hear what i do to stay away from illustrator. I make all my images/layouts tiffs, i load them into Powerpoint (simply to get it all in one multi page document) and then I print it with a free pdf converter.
pretty backwards, isn't it? i must say that in the end it doesn't actually look all that bad

Sep 29, 04 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

actually, caste its kinda the other way around in many offices in parts of india. though im an adobe nut (ive used corel in the past though), my friends in india swear by corel, and some printing/plotting places think you must be really dumb if you dont make your drawings in corel, because they use it a lot

Sep 29, 04 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

i'm one of his friends in india who swears by corel (kind of).

i've used coreldraw 10 for a long time, though these days i've shifted to illustrator. while i think illustrator is still better than corel at messing around with autocad drawings, corel still wins out at certain points. the only reason i use illustrator at all is that my office insists on it.

personally, i think that simple stuff like copying and pasting back to a precise location is easier in corel. this comes in handy when you need to format a sheet, and need to paste the same set of objects in multiple drawings. illustrator's align tools are better, though.

its easier to draw a line with segments in corel. its just a matter of a few mouseclicks, and you can have a compound path without any extra commands. in illustrator you have to make the segments as individual objects, then join the nodes. its really irritating...

corel makes life pretty simple when you need to work on a multi-page thing, like a portfolio. and you can then directly publish the whole thing to PDF.

i've noticed, thought, that coreldraw screws up colours sometimes. but maybe thats just because i haven't calibrated my monitor and things. but i've heard this complaint from a number of people far more professional than i.

i've heard that the new release of corel lets you precisely scale your dwg as you import it, with a similar scaling interface to autocad's plot window? if its true, then it makes things a lot easier...

in the end, i'd still choose illustrator over corel simply because a lot of 3d software lets you export vector information to .ai format, like rhino, and max's illustrate plugin. corel doesnt import an .ai file very well. otherwise, corel would still be no. 1. and yes, its really hard to switch between the two interfaces.

Sep 30, 04 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: