Archinect
anchor

worst website for architecture office

On another note, which architecture firms and design studios do folks think have the worst website?

Here's my vote, it's a bit too spartan for my taste:

http://www.gehrypartners.com

Oct 14, 08 12:08 pm
farwest1

I hate this website:

http://www.morphosis.net/

Difficult to navigate, difficult to find information, confusing.

Their work is interesting, but the way they present info would cause me to doubt the clarity of their work.

Oct 14, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Morphosis easily has one of the worst websites.

Asymptote, despite being uber-digital and having designed information systems in the past, has a terrible website as well.

asymptote

Oct 14, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
over_under

i know you all like looking at zahas picture when you're trying to see her work as much as i do

http://www.zaha-hadid.com/

Oct 14, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

ASYMPTOTE for sure.... I went to look something up the other day and left immediately. No way I was going to deal with that.

GRAFT is quite bad, as well... too bad, b/c I like the offices' work.

Oct 14, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla
Field Operations

Try to click on one thing. just try.

Oct 14, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, Podz, that's like a game! Very funny, and yes, difficult.

Oct 14, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

anything with overdone flash.........

i also hate the full screen popups....

and if it takes more than 5 seconds to load...i leave.....

Oct 14, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I feel like a lot of architectural websites and books try to be too cool, too different, and miss the opportunity to actually present information. Websites and books should be interesting, visually compelling, and in keeping with the philosophy of the office where appropriate, but they must also fulfill their role of providing information.

Oct 14, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

f0's site is sweet! it may be hard to navigate if youre incredibly slow and incapable of using a mouse or track pad.
people need to get over the fact that websites are design projects themselves- most arch sites are NOT MASSIVE DATABASES of information, theyre random media digitally composed. if all sites were text based interfaces the world would suffer and all of you know that. personally, I WANT A WEBSITE TO CAUSE MY CLIENTS EPILEPTIC SEIZURES.

Oct 14, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

You should work for asymptote yamK

Oct 14, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I hate all of these.

goddamn them.

Oct 14, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

This one is just appalling:

http://www.jonespartners.com/

Oct 14, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

agfa....... oh dear lord.

Oct 14, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Eek, agfa wins. My head hurts.

Oct 14, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

^ Too BOSS for ya'll.

Oct 14, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

This is an advertising company, but lets see how long you last on this one:
Kessels Kramer

Oct 14, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

agfa wins hands down

Oct 14, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Here's one, though I think agfa has everyone beat.

http://www.torchia.com/

Oct 14, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
AAKWEKS

wow agfa thats jonesing for some help, lol

Oct 14, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

http://www.e-cloud9.com/

Make no since! Dont get it!

Oct 14, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

the old website of my office was also pretty annoying

Oct 14, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
med.

p2an, that was terrible...

Oct 14, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Agfa....

OH.......MY.......GOD

Oct 14, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Are these just a taste of how difficult the final building will be to use and maintain. I can just see all these architects yelping "DiahMONDS" with bulging eyes to grab our attention.

Oct 14, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

the amazing thing is that Kessels Kramer do do really great work, as with some of the other sites - how is it possible that good offices have such BAD websites?

Oct 14, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

I actually like the J,P:A site, it's so far around the bend it's awesome.

... additional points for using Eno's Music for Airports.

Oct 14, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I think I could post Studio Elastico's site this and the best website thread. It's the worst because of the impossible to navigate, never can find a project, all flash interface; but the best because the cursor is a lasso that you use to wrangle cows that lead you to the projects. And if you can find the staff page, they're wearing cowboy outfits. I think it's leaning more towards best.

Oct 14, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

phuyake...I totally disagree. Your reward for catching a cow with the lasso pointer is to see a project. It's a herd of projects. Brilliant.

Oct 14, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ugh I wish I proofread that...

FP the more I see it the more i agree, hence the "leaning towards the best;" but when you just want to see some projects, it can be pretty aggravating.

Oct 14, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

and we can't forget http://www.dickbuscharchitects.com/

Oct 14, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Never a dull reason to mention our favorite/worst website from Mr. Dick Busch.

There is also a horrific one from a firm in Dallas. Something about a pixelated globe and credentials written by a second grader. I can't recall.

. . . . .

These however, are not just bad websites, but bad everything.

Oct 14, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

that logo is sooooo wrong...

Oct 14, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Jone Partners? 'Welcome to the home of Boss Architecture - Highly Disciplined, reasonably priced..."

Is boss an adjective?

deplorable.

Whilst I love their work r@sie's website is shit'ouse. No one should be still using Impact as a font - unless they live in 1995.

Oct 14, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I've always thought r@sie's website was "intentionally" bad.

Oct 14, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow, finally got to really explore the j, p: a site.

When i start my firm, we're gonna describe our projects as cash, as in shit was so cash.

Oct 14, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Well it could be intentionally bad, but it has been like that for some years. I would have thought that if your intention that your website should be aesthetically challenging, that this would warrant ongoing tweaking. Having said that, r&sie don't strike me as being a practice that is financially dependent on clients...

Oct 14, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I wonder if anyone's sued Jones, Partners: they're using music by Brian Eno and Dick Dale on their website.

Oct 14, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dick dale? are they stuck in 1964?

Oct 14, 08 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda
www.theverymany.net,

i think thats a model to follow, balanced amount on graphics and text, hes smart, he just stuck to the blog format, compare it to r&sie

Oct 15, 08 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Stuartsjaw
http://www.dickbuscharchitects.com/team.htm

so bad on so many levels

Oct 15, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
aspect

funny, i bookmarked a few here and none at "the best" thread.

Oct 15, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Not only is Jones Architects' website bad. Their work is bad too. Overstructured, unnecessary, in your face, egomaniacal.

Given that the price of steel is high right now, I'm surprised they're not out of business (every project of their uses ten or twenty too many I-beams.)

Oct 15, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
orbital2000

"that logo is sooooo wrong..."

Yes, it most certainly is...what was he thinking???

Ummm...I'm utterly speachless. I'm an LA and hadn't been familiar with Mr. Busch until reading this thread. Are you kidding me? The name, the logo, it's all just too much to handle.

On the team page...Dick Busch hired a guy named "Naylor". Anyone else find this funny?

Oct 15, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

i am so glad we brought dick busch to the attention of more people.

Oct 15, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

/morehitstothesesitesmightcreatelargeregos\

Oct 15, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

jonespartners... it feels very much like a site some undergrad art student would have done in 1997.

Oct 16, 08 2:32 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

after reading "a thousand plateaus"

Oct 16, 08 2:33 am  · 
 · 
trace™

the Morphosis site needs a redo, badly. It was interesting in 2000, but things have moved so far beyond this.

I guess they are getting enough work it doesn't matter, but 9 years before a redesign is a long time for a successful business (2 years is long).

I think jonesPartner's site is from at least that long ago too.

Oct 16, 08 8:01 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

It looks like JP updated it within the past few years, though... it's like someone came out of a time-capsule from the 90s and discovered flash (they even have tiling backgrounds!). I was expecting to see animated "under construction" gifs.

Oct 16, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
els25

AGFA... you definitely won!
Still can't stop laughing:0

Oct 16, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: