Archinect
anchor

best website for architecture office?

Which architecture office do you think has the best website? I'd like to get a sense of what people think makes for a great site when it comes to architecture firms and design studios.

Here's my vote:

http://www.jeannouvel.com/

Oct 14, 08 12:04 pm
over_under

big.dk

Oct 14, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Nouvel's website opened in a new window, took over my screen and resized my browser. Fail, fail, fail.

Oct 14, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

is there a way to stop a site from resizing your browser?

some internets setting or something?

Oct 14, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I've always liked the Slade site (and others like it), clean, simple design, non flash based, all of the options are always on the screen so you never need to click through a million things to find a project or hit the back button. Not so sure about their intro page, and I always appreciate a "news" section on a site to know what's new, but other then that I like it.

Oct 14, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i like john pawson's site

Oct 14, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

oooooooooooooh I like slade too reminds me oddly enough of project orange's monograph. I'm not too sure if I have a favourite - but I do favour flashless sites that clear

Oct 14, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I like chipperfield's website:

Chipperfield Architects

Oct 14, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

depending on your browser, you can disable allowing javascript to move or resize windows. in FF3 go to the options panel and the content tab. to the right of the checkbox for "enable javascript" is an "advanced" button that has the options.

really helps when people link you to sites like internetisseriousbusiness.com

Oct 14, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

I personally love Shepley Bulfinch Abbot and Richardson's site:

www.sbra.com

Clean, easy to navigate and stunning photography.

Oct 14, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

i was also going to post the chipperfield site, for me that all that is needed, clear, no fuss website.

Oct 14, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Urgh flash websites!

Oct 14, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.oma.nl/

easy to navigate, very transparent project credits, location data etc.., and printable!

Oct 14, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

What's wrong with flash websites?

Oct 14, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

most of them are over done......... bammm crash....pow

Oct 14, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

I agree that most are overdone, but if done tastefully I think many can look very professional. Plus it adds some life to a page that you don't get with static images.

Oct 14, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
dia

As far as starchitects go, I quite like UN Studio. I also like Gianni Botsford, Carmody Groarke, ARX in Portugal and Tham & Vdegaard Hansson when it eventually loads...

Oct 14, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda
www.theverymany.net

on another note
can i consider my blog amazing? i didnt design it, i used the template,, unfortunately, thats in the spirit of the times

Oct 15, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

slade is cool, but misses some life, for exmple, on the homepage, they could highlight the titles my cursor is over, for hierarchy and clarity,, but on the whole, i like it

Oct 15, 08 1:41 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

an amazing website is www.notcot.org ,, im addicted to it, thats y my grand plans will never come trhough,, its not an architecture website though,,

Oct 15, 08 1:43 am  · 
 · 
laland

this is landscape, but i quite like the site for topotek 1

Oct 15, 08 2:55 am  · 
 · 
trace™

slades home page almost made me leave - a tired theme that has been done much more successfully many, many years ago (and copied a billion times).
The rest is nice and simple, but images are too small.

Why all the tiny images? We are past worrying about downloads for a portfolio site.

I still like the KPF

Oct 15, 08 7:37 am  · 
 · 
trace™

slades home page almost made me leave - a tired theme that has been done much more successfully many, many years ago (and copied a billion times).
The rest is nice and simple, but images are too small.

Why all the tiny images? We are past worrying about downloads for a portfolio site.

I still like the KPF

Oct 15, 08 7:40 am  · 
 · 

the topotek site is beautiful. my favorite so far. by far.

Oct 15, 08 7:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

That is nice. Big images, too.

Oct 15, 08 8:02 am  · 
 · 
LeeK
www.studiosarchitecture.com
Oct 15, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

I find the KPF website fairly annoying. I hate websites that go full screen—what's the need, unless you're watching a video? And the content is vague and confusing. It also feels like it's circa 1999, around when that movie "Enemy of the State" came out, and everyone was obsessed with zoomy graphics that mimicked satellites zooming in on blacksites. Why does an architecture website need to feel like a CIA surveillance system?

Topotek 1 works really well. Large graphics and text, easy to navigate.

Oct 15, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
grauster

I like Grimshaw's:

www.grimshaw-architects.com

Oct 15, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
orbital2000

Since many are dissing the use of Flash-based sites...

While not an architectural website, these guys are widely regarded as the best web design company on the planet. Check out their portfolio for some examples of bad a** graphics and Flash work.

2 Advanced Studios

http://www.2advanced.com/

Oct 15, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

2A was regarded as one of the best in 1999 and have created a few good sites in their time. I'll tip my hat to some pioneering work, version 1 and 2 were great, but since then it has been pretty boring.

Oct 15, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

ditto. The 2A site is just flash masturbation overkill to the nth degree

and I hate to say it but the KPF site looks oddly like studiosarchitecture one. Wtf is with these commercial practices trying come off as hip boutiques. Sigh

topek is gorgeous I hadn't seen it before...definately on my watch list

Oct 15, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

I'd rather have something that is functional and can be viewed on any device and more importantly accessible to any person. Many animated sequences on these website are just fluff and unnecessary, they waste time. You can still create unique websites without flash. I am far more interested in seeing a video embedded in their site of a building they've designed than looking at moving lines and objects on their website. Graphic Design is not just about pretty pictures, like architecture thought should go into it. Design is taking out what is unnecessary otherwise we should all become Jackson Pollocks.

Oct 15, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

The SA site does have some similarities to KPF, although my money is on KPF coming first (been around for a while and made by one of the best firms out there - http://www.firstbornmultimedia.com/ )

Oct 17, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
REX

I like this one, since it's really simple, focused and well thought out, while maintaining web standards and being viewable on many devices.

Oct 28, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

My problem with that site, Kardio, is that since my window is never maximised, and is actually quite small, not everything shows up, and it wont let me scroll around. I thought the page ended at the legal notices and second photo of the theatre. Are you in Dallas, by the way?

Oct 28, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nevermind, I checked your stats.

Oct 28, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

you can scroll around with the 'PREV/NEXT' buttons

Oct 28, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: