Archinect
anchor

Community Based Designers doing great work...

Gabe Bergeron

Hello all,

Previously I had asked if anyone had suggestions of interesting firms doing community based design, or design related to building communities, specifically in Northern Europe / Scandinavia - here

I'd like to put the question out there again, but expand it to any firm, anywhere! Does anyone know of interesting work going on NOW that has a specific focus on community building, participatory work, etc. and/or work that is aimed at creating communal living situations?

I'm really interested in what recent work (as opposed to the work of the 70s) is going on in this realm, and specifically, what work is going on that has a high level of design but maintains, at its core, the mission to connect with everyday folks.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Sep 28, 08 4:16 pm
Gabe Bergeron

Bump!

Interested to hear if anyone has more thoughts on this.

Here's what I did last summer: http://gabeontour.blogspot.com/

Looking to expand on these ideas of community, and to further its existence in our cities - Stewardship requires community!

Anyone know work going on in the creation of co-housing, eco-villages, creative collectives, etc? Any thoughts on the potential of collectives in light of the tightening of our collective belts?

Jun 18, 09 11:28 am  · 
 · 
walldrug

Perhaps more well-known examples include Public Architecture in San Francisco, and Rural Studio in Alabama. Architecture for Humanity and the book Design Like You Give a Damn will provide many more examples.

Jun 20, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: