Archinect
anchor

Meeting with firm principal and hr for a first time temporary CAD position?

y&Y!

In response to my employment inquiry regarding a first architecture job after my grad school, a firm's hr consultant phoned and told me there will not be a position available in architecture but they will need a cad person to work on plans and elevations for a big project, which is a temp contract job. I was asked to go and meet with both the principal and the hr herself...

So...I'm curious what the conversation will be like. Apparently we won't be talking about my portfolio if it's for a temp cad person, but I doubt the principal and hr will be able to discuss drafting topics either...and I'm not even a professional drafts man, I did drawings for school work. How should I convey myself? I would really appreciate the opportunity to get some experience though.

Aug 27, 13 12:56 pm
s=r*(theta)

you should convey yourself as getting your foot in the door. dont act like a know it all. be open to learn as much as you can as fast as you can and as often as you can. show them your portfolio anyway, they may can use some of your skill set down the road. make them never forget the impression you made on them in a positive way. become the standard they hold for new hires going fwd. and when you think you tried as hard as you can........you're not trying hard enough!!!

Aug 27, 13 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think a lot of an interview is just kind of talking.  they want to see if you're a good fit in their environment.  could be they just talk about college football (if that's something the people in the office are interested in - could be yachting too)  they probably also want to know if you have the skillset necessary to do the job they're hiring you for, but it sounds like that's more or less a given.

Aug 27, 13 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

If you have nothing else going, I'd say go for it and make sure they pay you respectfully.  And while you are working on their CAD stuff keep applying to other firms for a permanent position.

Aug 28, 13 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: