Archinect
anchor

help! my portfolio file is huge!

lofty

my portfolio file is huge! it's ridiculous. made it in PageMaker, many many photos, only two projects, so don't want to cut down the amount.

it doesn't seem professional to send my portfolio through yousendit, but that might be my only option. any other suggestions?

Sep 22, 08 1:16 am
holz.box

can't you print it as a pdf...

Sep 22, 08 1:25 am  · 
 · 
lofty

Did that and is still no where near my desired 2MB.

Sep 22, 08 2:09 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

what resolution are your photos? scale them down to 72dpi

Sep 22, 08 2:23 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

pagemaker? i didn't know they still made that.

Sep 22, 08 7:44 am  · 
 · 
raj

resolution, resolution, resolution. when you make the PDF drop the PDF. The attached images--drop the resolution.
don't send a portfolio that is that large! you will crash their email. there is nothing worse than that!
good luck

Sep 22, 08 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

EDIT.
do you really need everything in there?

Sep 22, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

if you're desperate, make each page a seperate pagemaker file, flatten, save as xxx_flattened, export to .tif, import into photoshop, reduce resolution, place separate .tif pages back into pagemaker... (*you may not need to flatten)

this gives you more control with each page, rather than adjusting the resolution for the entire file at once... fwiw

Sep 22, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

... the above is what i've done with an Illustrator/InDesign workflow and it has worked flawlessly...

Sep 22, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Quality not quantity!, Use a two phase approach, Keep one that gives a high level view of work experience and skill set with a second that can be brought along for a "go see" that details more about your experience.

Most interviewers will tell you that they can make up their mind in about 4 pages.

Sep 22, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

cowgill is right on

Sep 22, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if you have a website just make it a download from your ftp.... i managed to do that with my resume..... i might do that with the portfolio but it'll be larger......

b

Sep 22, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

it could be done but no employer wants to f*$@ around with a gigantic pdf file... nor do you want them to.

Sep 22, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
if you're desperate, make each page a seperate pagemaker file, flatten, save as xxx_flattened, export to .tif, import into photoshop, reduce resolution, place separate .tif pages back into pagemaker... (*you may not need to flatten)

of course, you've just rasterized everything, including your text.

just save all your images at 300 dpi. if that is still too big, you need to edit. remember whatever you're sending by email should just be a teaser. save the fireworks for the interview.

Sep 22, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

could some of your images be smaller or greyscale?

Sep 23, 08 2:22 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Wow, pagemaker! I used that for my portfolio 11 years ago!

72 dpi - if you are emailing, the images should not be higher. You can't see higher res online, so you'd just be sending larger files for no reason.

NOTE: people often get very confused about dpi, pixel count, etc. Remember, the only number you really need to know is the PIXEL dimensions. Many people erroneously think "300 dpd" will always make for a quality image. 4000px is 4000px, whether it is at 72 dpi or 300 dpi.

Compression - ALL images should be compressed jpegs. 40-60% is typical for jpeg quality. I'd use PS's Save for Web feature to get every image as small as possible, just like you would on a website.

If you can't do that, save the quality in the Export to PDF settings to Jpeg and Low quality (you can try medium, too). If you go this route you don't have to compress images in PS, but PS would still be the most ideal way to go (to get the smallest file sizes)

In Illustrator, often times you have to delete the layers that are not visible before exporting to get the smallest file size.

My advice: use Illustrator or InDesign. Use the trial versions if you don't want to buy.
DO NOT rasterize the files! That will almost guarantee that the text and lines look horrible (if you try to recompress).

Sep 23, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams
72 dpi - if you are emailing, the images should not be higher. You can't see higher res online, so you'd just be sending larger files for no reason.

yes and no. screen resolution is 72 dpi, but with acrobat, 72 dpi works only if the viewer is seeing the image at 100%. if the viewer zooms into the image 200%, then, 72 dpi will be insufficient and the image will be pixelated. 72 dpi really only works as it was intended for web-based images, not images in acrobat. i still recommend 300 dpi for anything that is going to be published in acrobat whether it is printed or sent as an email. you will not get nearly so many images at 300 dpi, but once again, quality over quantity. put your editing hat on.

Sep 23, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
e

i agree with trace. be kind to your potential future employer and they may be kind to you. do not send 300dpi images. if every potential employee sent me their portfolio at 300dpi it would bog things down for me and make me an unhappy man. i don't need to zoom in to see more detail at this point. in general, if i like what i see, i'll give you a call to set up the interview to see more. remember people, this is a teaser to get an interview not the interview itself. you do not need to show me everything right now. intrigue me enough to set yourself apart from the rest.

Sep 23, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
binary

print/make/snail mail

just give them work samples online if needed........

i would save the big portfolio for the interview so you have a chance to talk/etc....

make work samples/send to firm/get interview/show portfolio/get hired/do the robot

b

Sep 23, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

e, i'm still skeptical of a blanket statement that all images should be 72 dpi. trace was correct that what really matters is the number of pixels in the image. for instance, in my teaser email, i only had two sheets, each 6" x 6". the individual images were 1" x 2". at that size i was using 300 dpi images, total pixels 600. the sharpness of the printed image, though small in size, was absolutely necessary. i think there's a bit of an art to learning the balance you need to produce the best output. i definitely recommend experimenting with both how it looks on screen and how it looks printed. nine times out of ten, the employer will see it both ways.

Sep 23, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I suggest duct taping it to your leg and go about pretending that it is the same size as everyone elses

Sep 23, 08 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
lofty

thanks for all the advice - i'll try a few and let you know....

don't hate on PageMaker

Sep 24, 08 1:33 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

dont email out your full portfolio
they wont look at it until you show up for an interview anyway

Sep 24, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

from photoshop open the JPEG, save as .JPEG also but select low quality, this will give you high resolution image with low file size, then after combine in pdf.

Oct 14, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: