Archinect
anchor

New Piano building in San Fran - what's the verdict?

scribble

Has anyone checked out Renzo's latest creation in the new issue of Metropolis? Aside from the cliche napkin sketches, the design is fabulous!

As a scaper, I find it refreshing to see such a high-caliber architecture produce such a context sensitive design. ARUP's contribution is pretty amazing as well...great project that I must see!

Sep 11, 08 4:54 pm
Bruce Prescott

I have followed the construction. It looks great from the outside, but opening is not for a couple of weeks. I have avoided those pics in Metropolis because I want to see the real space first -- at this point you can not even get up close.

The green roof in the cover photo looks enhanced relative to the way it looked in real life two weeks ago.

Sep 12, 08 12:27 am  · 
 · 
scribble

Do you live in San Fran? I'm in NYC, so it's a long shot that I'll see it in person any time soon. Now that you mention it, the green roof does look a bit too pretty.

Sep 12, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Pictures?

Sep 12, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
med.

Second Attmept:

Pictures?

Sep 12, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

are we talking about the academy of sciences here?

haven't been there yet, but it's just opened and not completely finished...there are many areas (from what i hear) not yet open.

but DAMN does it look cool...(sorry spruce, close your eyes...)

Sep 12, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
scribble

Yes, that's it!

Sep 12, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
scribble

Archmed-

The Biden battle was fun while it lasted. All in good fun, right?

Sep 12, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

lol

Really, you guys like that? looks like a box with bumps to me. I'll hold off until I can see more, just in case.

Sep 12, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
complex

its pretty mickey mouse looking... pass

Sep 13, 08 2:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, i thought it might be interesting, but the bulges look really poorly proportioned and convuluted.

mixed with some

Sep 13, 08 2:37 am  · 
 · 
med.

Scribble, I wouldn't miss a good slug fast like that for the world. One of my best friends (who is a hardcore republican woman) and I were joking about this same thing last night after we were soundly dissagreeing with eachother on .... well everything.

Her and I should just get married!

BTW, I like Renzo Piano's work, but I don't like this thing. Just me...

Sep 13, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
voltagedrop

I signed up to be a member of CAS so we get to go a week ahead for a sneak peek next sunday. I plan on taking a lot of pictures and videos. I've passed by the building a month ago and it looks great, the pictures posted on here don't do justice.

Sep 13, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I think the shell like curves of the roof go back to Piano's student days in london when he was working with Zirkowski on lightweight structures.

There was one model/idea in particular for the Milan Triennale that looks a lot like the roof of the museum. The museum has the green roof(how does he prevent erosion?) and the skylights.

Anyone know how he keeps the water from running off and leaving the plants at the peaks dried out?

Sep 13, 08 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

The dirt on the roof is in a fiber grid that prevents erosion.
It does look much better from the ground than the aerial photos.

Details on roof:
link

Sep 15, 08 2:37 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

Verdict from recent trip (AIA Convention):

Academy of Sciences; Piano : A-
de Young; HdeM : A+
Federal Building; Morphosis : B-
SF MoMa; Botta : D
Jewish Museum; Libeskind : C+
Countless public plazas/recreational spaces (Yerba Buena Gardens, Union Square, Alamo Square, Golden Gate Park) : A+++

The AIA convention, itself : B-

May 5, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

Funny how the second image on page 63 above also resembles the facade of the de Young...

May 5, 09 11:06 am  · 
 · 
scottaway

The new Cal Academy of Sciences is just plain boring.

Sure there's an attention-grabbing bulbous roof dotted with portholes, but there's nothing very compelling about the way visitors experience the museum and interact with exhibits.

Letting Renzo Piano design the building wasted a major public building project.

May 6, 09 3:26 am  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

my verdict on piano in golden gate park:

the roofscape looks nice, but why can't i walk on it?

the interiors function well and are decent spaces.

the overall outside view / massing / parti / image / whatever: super boring. what was he thinking? it looks straight out of mussolini's fascist 1930s playbook, except he reduced the line weights by 75%.

May 6, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers
May 6, 09 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i like the de Young better, cheaper to get in, and the exhibits were great, i wish i could have spent more time in the African mask area...i got some photos. it'll be interesting to see how they "let" the flora and fauna take over the screen..

May 6, 09 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I've visited a few times and really like the building. It's in keeping with what Renzo Piano does: exceptionally well detailed, somewhat conservative modern buildings. The rain forest sphere is very cool.

My main gripe with the building is actually with the curating. There's no apparent logic to either the exhibits or how they're laid out in the space.

May 6, 09 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: