Archinect
anchor

is 8gb memory for Macbook Pro Retina Enough?

batman

my plan is to buy a decent laptop to do most of the leg work - heavy photoshop, heavy illustrator, and mid-complex 3d modeling in rhino  -

is 8 mb of memory good enough to do without any lags?

and then a decent desktop to render and make 2d for the HEAVY/INTENSIVE STUFF

Aug 18, 13 5:16 pm
zonker

I use a proxy MBP in the form of a HP Spectre with 8mgs - no problems, do Revit rendering, photohshop, Rhino - sure 8 Mgs will work - but for a buck and some change, you can upgrade it to 16.

Aug 18, 13 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
batman

can you explain this "proxy MBP in the form of a HP Spectre with 8mgs"?

also i dont have a lot of money so i want to see if i can settle with refurb. 

Aug 18, 13 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

it's a MBP wannabe from HP - it does the job for ? $1200.00 less

"HP Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4010nr Ultrabook"

Aug 18, 13 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
batman

ok i knew thats what you meant, but i had to make sure.

no seriously, i did.

Aug 18, 13 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

for most standard modeling 8 GB is plenty of RAM.  However, if you render with displacements, other advanced texturing and lighting settings, depending on the program, the render engine will eat up 8 GB like its nothing.  So it depends.  Also, when modeling, depending on the program, certain commands, like a very large array of geometry, can push past 8 GB. 

If you get 8GB of RAM, just don't be surprised if in a year you need to upgrade.

Aug 18, 13 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
denrayman

Yes, I have this and there it is enough. Is that when I simultaneously work Lightroom, photoshop and multiple browsers through a proxy (advanced.name), may slow down a bit.

Nov 13, 16 7:45 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

I don't know...he may have already made a decision by now?

But that's just a guess

Nov 13, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: