Archinect
anchor

Want to work in urban design with an MUP...

manoverde84

OK, I will be pursuing an MUP soon enough with an specialization in urban design. 

Do the major players like HOK, Saski, etc. only want to see people with a dual Arch and planning background? Would I have to go for a secondary degree in landscape or arch.?

Most of the reputable people in the field have an arch background. Don't think I've read about any of them having solely a planning degree. 

Can one take some courses in design, like a years worth extra on top of the MUP? 

Aug 9, 13 1:14 am
won and done williams

The problem with a straight MUP is that there is little to no graphic training. It lends itself more to work within government planning agencies or research and academia. Urban design requires strong spatial and graphic skills that come either with an architecture or urban design degree. There are a handful of dual MUP/MUD programs out there that may be worth looking into. (I know Michigan has one; not sure what other schools offer that.).

Aug 9, 13 8:50 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Hi won, 

What about if I specialize in urban design or stay the extra time in school to take some more design courses?

Is the only road after an MUP the government?

Aug 9, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

No, there are private planning firms that work for the public sector, non-profits, and community development, but again the nature of the work tends to be more on the technical planning side than the design side.

An MUP specializing in urban design may help you land a more design-oriented position to the extent that it can help you build a portfolio that demonstrates design ability. However, coming out of school, an MUP degree alone, particularly without a strong design portfolio, will tend to position you for a less design-oriented position at most firms than a MUD or M.Arch/MUP would.

If you want to spend extra time in school to take design courses, I would definitely look at completing a dual MUP/MUD. The MUD credential is a major benefit.

Aug 9, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I will but I'm trying to save money and noticed the local JC offers basic design courses. Would a years worth certificate or an associates in design help? 

Aug 9, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Ok so I talked to some ppl in planning and they suggested just taking some courses in CAD, Arch drawing and a few others. Essentially these courses with an MUP should suffice, right? It saves on getting into more debt with an extra degree. 

Aug 11, 13 1:02 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Would it be difficult to even get into an MUD after the MUP? Aren't MUDs post professional degrees? I would think one would need ample design background to get into one. That's why I'm considering the arch courses to learn design, even thinking about an AA in Arch at the local JC to pair with the MUP. 

Aug 11, 13 1:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: