Archinect
anchor

Trying to get myself out there..

I graduated over three years ago. The details are in my profile. I've been actively looking for work for over two years. I did (from what I thought) very well in college and have a strong design portfolio. From what I'm noticing is my skills aren't at all what this new architectural world is looking for. I'm not exactly efficient in the 1400 computer programs I got barely a half semester of teaching besides CAD; so I stuck to what I was strong at.
At this point ($80,000 in school loan debt), a masters in architectural design or any good education is hardly an option. Also, the unemployment rates and severly low hiring for entry level has made me seriously want to readjust my focus.
My passion is design, bringing ideas to 2D to 3D. I would love to learn to work with various materials including salvage and create functional arts : architecture design too! ;
a probably much too broad notion. At this point, I'm getting quite fearful of what to do next. But I'm willing to try anything and move anywhere. (Detroit isn't doing so well as you all know, can't just move without a job waiting of course). Advice (OR A JOB :) is greatly appreciated!

Aug 6, 13 11:33 pm
JonathanLivingston

Kelly, 

Hang in there!

Design is not a job but a way of life. Keep designing every aspect of your life. Take stock of the small things, and design every task, action, movement, and every little thing you create. Find happiness in each small well designed fragment of your day.  

That's where you start. Let your passion for design invade everything. Keep on the hunt, and that passion will pay off. There is no shame in any job, and every job will have some aspect with which you can design. Document everything and curate that documentation into a website or long format portfolio. 

Finally, rethink what architecture is. It does not have to be a big firm job. Take your documented skills and get entrepreneurial. Find people who need your skills and explain the value of what you can contribute. (hint: software skills are an easy but very shortsighted contribution). 

I hope that helps. I have been where you are, well not in Detroit but a depressed area of the Midwest. I'm sure you have herd all that bootstrap shit before. But the point I want to make is that your self worth and satisfaction should not be defined by the amount of money you make, or your ability to pay back student loans, but rather your success and failure of designing and executing each successive endeavor. One foot in front of the other with a peripheral eye on the goal and you will get there. This profession more then any other is a marathon. 

Aug 7, 13 1:47 am  · 
 · 
natematt

The state of Michigan is a hard one to be in for architecture, especially entry level jobs. In my own recent search, which has included applications to around fifty firms thus far, I have only applied to three in Michigan... and I live/went to school here.

Aug 7, 13 2:28 am  · 
 · 
natematt

the one really nice thing about east michigan as a place to work is that if you can find that job... the cost of living is super low by comparison to other places in the USA.

Aug 7, 13 2:33 am  · 
 · 

These stories are far too common :(

I graduated in 2009 too and didn't get solid arch employment till early this year (I did do contract work off/on). There is a few threds on here with similiar topics where people lay out some good advice. I know Peter (forget last name) had a similiar situation and has a lot of helpful advice.

Truth be told you can apply every piece of advice you hear. I think a lot of it comes down to, luck, right place, right time. That's how I got my current job and the one previously. Of all the cold calls I made to firms, I just happened to call a firm who needed some help at the perfect time.

Good luck. Others will offer more concrete advice. But like I said you can do all that and still be SOL.

Aug 7, 13 9:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Kelly, are you familiar with; http://buildinghugger.org/ ? I imagine you would be.

Aug 7, 13 10:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

you have a few options: 

work the alumni network - Lawrence Tech grads make up a huge chunk of the arch professionals in the Detroit area - I'm sure a prof you had a good relationship with happens to know someone who can at least get you in the door in a few places.

Try looking into community development or government work - there may be entry-level positions with the whole Detroit restructuring thing - if anything you can build up a network of insiders who are involved in real-estate in the Detroit area.

go off on your own  - although living in Warren you're at a huge disadvantage in neighborhood networking.

You can leave - Detroit also happens to be one of the worst markets for architecture in the country - the metro area is shrinking, there is very little development happening - you're probably much better off couch-surfing in a more expensive city while looking for work, and then living frugally with multiple roommates for a few years.  This is what I did.

Aug 7, 13 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wow thank you all for advice and input.. Very encouraging considering the circumstances.. No one ever said any part of architecture was going to be easy.. Even getting a job..
Aug 7, 13 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

there is no there

Aug 7, 13 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You live in Detrioit.. Move north of the border.  Toronto isn't far away.  I heard jobs are plentiful out there.  Sure you don't have a job lined up but you could work in another field in the meantime while stopping by firms and inquiring in person.

would love a peek into your portfolio so we can give you better and honest advice.  People can be biased against their own work ;)

goodluck anyway

Aug 7, 13 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

most important thing to to stay involved in the arch/design profession until you find the postion you're looking for.  Volunteer w/ AIA, habitat for humanity, or another cause which you're passionate about.  Get active on linkedin and have multiple ways for people to access your portfolio.  Have business cards made with a link to your resume/ portfolio or linkedin profile page.  network like crazy.  It not enough to just say you are passionate for art or building 3d objects, show off your art.

Many people say they are self-starters or love doing something but offer no evidence beyond their words.

most important thing to to build your network and let people know what you are looking for

Aug 8, 13 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: