Archinect
anchor

Why Architects Can't Spell!

abracadabra

10/4. thanks Strawbeary. thats another thing, "I" like to use less i's.

Mar 3, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

You're welcome. That goes for you too, joed.

Mar 3, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

ha. joed and I, on the same grammo boat.. thanks again.

Mar 3, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

if you don't practice good spelling and grammar in an informal setting such as this, you won't practice it in the real world.

Isn't that like saying you should treat your friends at the local in the same manner you would treat a prospective client? Should letters to my parents be in a formal business format? Practice makes perfect, you say.

The inability to differentiate between different situations is the really annoying bit of this conversation. Take the corn cob out now.

Mar 4, 05 9:32 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i luv archinect ! i hate my spelling

Mar 4, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not that some posters here can't spell, as Joed points out, it's that they DON'T

Mar 4, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not that some posters here can't spell, as Joed points out, it's that they DON'T spell... meaning, they don't take the time.

This used to bother me too. Then I realized that all the misspelling and bad grammar makes the rest of us look good... not just here (who cares about a website?) but out there, where it counts. Err away, folks!

Mar 4, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

grammo boat is getting full. enter citizen..

Mar 4, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Some se the language as just a bad replacement doing houses , words never was as solid as bricks and knowing where to acturly place them.
You Romans think that lookalike are smart enough but se ,why is it then a cardhouse ramble ?
Somone that spell it democrazy maby don't realy know the grammer but isn't it a nice side effect having an open mind ? You say no, well then you never get cheap houses or fantastic new architecture you get exactly what was before just faster and potential as ugly. This happen when you exersise making newthinking into old methods just made safer and more efficient ,the real move forwerds come with new technology a different perception.
Now perception is not my exchouse doing faul words I rather se nice new flats at a third the cost four times as strong and lasting, You Romans rather have academic discussions and bullying replace the true vision, or the new building technike as on telli you can grasp that no buildings are asked nowhere in around the world no new technologies anywhere to, just build the old crap make it taller se what happen, --- digital aproach as to say but mainly doing E-mails ; what bother designing a beautifull building ,asking the ones who pay what to get ? You call yourself Romans well scrap that strait rule and do some digital, somthing that make the jobs do the step forwerts, you Romans have it all turned forwerds back, some declare their right to spell bad.

Mar 4, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I couldn't have said it better.

Mar 4, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

my wife wanted to be an english teacher, and liked to practice on me during college. it became such an extreme annoyance, (getting my grammar corrected all the time) that i began to purposefully do it just to get her flustered.

now i think the grammar issue has set in permanently, she dropped english, and it irritates the hell out of me when people correct me when i am talking (the last item being a huge problem between me and my current boss.)

Mar 4, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

NOTE TO ALL ARCHINECT POSTERS:

"A LOT" EXPRESSES QUANTITY

"ALOT" IS A VERB!

Mar 6, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
joed

actually, alot is not a word. allot is a verb.

Mar 6, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

a lot can be a site for a building. allot cannot.

although one may be alloted a certain size lot on which to build, so an allotment could be the same as a lot.

Mar 6, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

"actually, alot is not a word. allot is a verb."

That proves I'm in the right forum, then. ;D

Mar 6, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
joed

ha

Mar 6, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Humor is a balm for embarassment.

Mar 6, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

i had always thought architects would be good spellers until i started reading archinect posts. i rarely make spelling errors. if things are misspelled, they just look wrong, and i sort of know it right away. i always associated this with an ability for spatial perception and/or visual representation, but maybe i'm wrong...

i think this is because i'm a hyper-visual learner. for example, if i meet you in a bar and you tell me your name, i'll forget it. but if I see your credit card with your name on it, i'll never forget it. in school, i rarely learn anything from going to lecture, but i read and process lines of text at a time, as opposed to one word at a time, and learn really quickly that way.

Mar 6, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: