Archinect
anchor

Ahoy Copenhagen!

PsyArch

The search on this forum turns up no results for Copenhagen.

I'll be going across the bridge to Malmo to see Calatrava's Turning Torso.

Is there anything else to see, do, or eat, apart from hot dogs and waffles?

Aug 1, 08 3:45 pm
kungapa

If you are into New Urbanism, or just like to throw up a little in your mouth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakriborg

Funny thing is, last I checked it was all rental.

Aug 1, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

in Copenhagen or in Sweden?

if Sweden, at Malmo, visit the Sigurd Lewerentz Malmo Opera and Music Theatre and visit the church at Klippan and other structures. great stuff.

Aug 1, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

dlb
Apparently Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmo, Sweden are joined by a bridge, thus I'll do both, possibly take in Stockholm too, or down to Aarhus

Kunga
ahh Jakriborg, I guess that's why the suicide rate is so high in Scandi-land

Anywhere within reach of Copenhagen would be of interest. Wikitravel picks up a Zaha building 30 minutes away, but I'm sure there must be more.

Aug 1, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
um
um
um

Aug 1, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

How did you get that when I got this:

Search Results

Your search for "copehagen" resulted in no matches.

Aha. Typo...

Aug 1, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Thankyou.

Aug 1, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Damn. Now I want to go to Helsinki too.

Aug 1, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

psyarch....check out the blonde babes along with the architecture while your there....or blonde blokes if you so prefer.

Aug 1, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

go look at the stuff out in orestad...

if you want to make a day trip, take the train up to humblebaek to see the louisiana museum of art... they have a great collection... and the building is nice too... but nothing compares to the sculpture garden...

Aug 1, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

snook,
half-part of the journey is an old school-friend, resident of Milan, who has recently split from his girlfriend of eight years (who I introduced him to), so there is a requirement for visual therapy.

Hence, Scandinavia.

Aphil,
you just reminded me of "Sculpture Parks in Europe: A guide to Art and Nature" . I hadn't thought to check. It turns out there are several sculpture parks near Copenhagen: Louisiana Museum@Humlebaek, Helsinger, International Sculpture park@Farum, Veksolund@Vekso, Himmelhoj@Kalvebod Faelled, trapholt@Kolding, Tickon@Tranekaer. The book does give some detail but it's hard to tell from one or two photos which is worth the journey.
Any first-hand reports most welcome.

Helsingborg and Lund in Sweden look possible too.

Aug 1, 08 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

in my opinion louisiana is definitely worth the trip... especially on a nice summer day... my wife and i took the train up and then walked from the station to the museum... it's about a 15 minute walk through the town of humlebaek... before i started doing research about copenhagen prior to my trip, i had never heard of the museum or the architect... it's definitely my favorite building by an architect that i hadn't heard of... and it's near the top of my list of favorite buildings overall... i think that the way that the building relates to the surrounding landscape (and the sculpture) is masterful...

when i was there, the architecture exhibit was also a cool exhibition on the work of structural engineer cecil balmond... right now it is an exhibition on "museums of the 21st century"

here's a few pics from my trip...

Aug 2, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 

also... rent a bike... it's by far the best way to get around town...

Aug 2, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
legeuse

oh lord i can not believe the old country's getting pitched mainly for jakriborg and lewerentz.

but thus is sweden these days..

Aug 2, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
ScottC

There is so much to see in Copenhagen. One of the best ways to find good stuff is to go to the DAC (danish architecture center). They have a few books on historic as well as contemporary works in and around Copenhagen.

Take a walk around the university and see the place you wish you could have stayed when you were a student... go further east along the Metro line (which is automated, no driver) and see some unique housing by JDS.

Plus right outside of the Friedricksburg Metro stop is a great bakery where you can eat lots and lots of pastries.

Aug 4, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Thankyou Mr C., will do!

Aug 4, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Peru

Your search ends here:
http://www.mimoa.eu/browse/projects/Denmark/Copenhagen/
great site!!

Aug 4, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

mimoa is pretty good, and i seriously recommend
this one

Aug 4, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Peru, awesome.

I feel like the (modern) secrets of the world have just been unveiled.

p2, Even a heathen like me couldn't resist a church dedicated to Grundtvig? On the list.

Aug 4, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

go to louisianna for some culture,

then go to christianna for a spliff.

Aug 5, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

A few from the visit:

Danish National Library

Louisiana Museum, Humlebaek:

Carlsberg Glyptotek, Copenhagen:

Winning ticket:

The train-boat-train from Copenhagen to Hamburg: £25-ish for a five hour journey including the bit where the train rolls onto a boat in Denmark, and then off the boat in Germany. Brilliant

Oct 18, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: