Archinect
anchor

rolling back my computer's clock to keep a software license valid

cowgill

... the software is formZ and my 1 year subscription wore out but i've realized that i can simply change the year on my windows xp machine when i need to use the software and everything works just fine... or does it...?

will this in any way funk my machine up? I change the clock back to normal when i'm done using the software, have rebooted/restarted several times and all seems well.

thanks

Jul 28, 08 5:16 pm
nb072

sounds like breaking the law

Jul 28, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

thanks for the warning but it wasn't a moral inquiry

Jul 28, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

cowgill, destroy your computer. the feds are already on to you.

rolling back the clock automatically sends a signal to autodessys headquarters alerting them of the fraud.

agents are right outside your door.

Jul 28, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

just crack it properly

the IP wars have only begun

the living vs the lifeless and their cogs

Jul 28, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

to stick to your question, cowgill, nothing will be affected on your computer from switching dates back and forth - except that any files you save or emails you send while you have the clock set wrong will have the wrong date attached to them.

Jul 28, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

i think it might be easier just to uninstall, delete the registry file, then reinstall. that way you wont mess anything else up on your machine.

Jul 28, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
mack

given the recent leap year, it may be a pain for your outlook.

Jul 28, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I do this with my FormZ. After you open the program tho you can reset the calender. You don't have to wait to close it out.

I would buy another student license. I'm not too cheap to spend the $100, but nobody sells the damn thing anymore.....

Jul 28, 08 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I wouldn't mess with the date, personally. It'll screw with all your dates and make it a disaster to organize files/folders.

Jul 29, 08 8:38 am  · 
 · 
heavymetalarchitecture

link

just search the torrent sites

Jul 29, 08 8:59 am  · 
 · 
BrentJWatanabe

If you're using XP and you roll back your clock it messes with Microsoft's Genuine Advantage Licensing or whatever it is for updating.

Other than that it won't mess up anything else unless you have other programs with 1 year licenses.

Jul 29, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I have an old laptop that has a dead BIOS battery so I the clock needs to be reset each time I boot it up--an incorrect clock date can also mess with website certificates since your computer clock won't match the site's clock/certificate date. Anti-virus software may also run into issues…

Jul 29, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Or... you could just buy my legit professional copy of Form-Z 6.5 w/ Renderzone. I won in in a competition a few months back. The program has never been installed, and comes with the req'd dongle and codes.

Jul 30, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
complex

Or you can uninstall and UPGRADE to Rhino or Maya.

Jul 30, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

@ melo ~ send me an email about what you want to get out of your copy.

@ complex ~ I'm currently teaching myself rhino with the demo and still quite like formZ. I'm not at all sold on the idea of forcing Maya to model architecture... rendering it, however, is another story.

Aug 13, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: