Archinect
anchor

OMA Internship

enpapier

So... I have an interview with OMA in a few days for a fall internship. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if working as an intern at OMA is as... involved as I hear it is? What should I expect in the interview? How is living in Rotterdam? I'm a second year under-grad student, I've already done an internship in New York for a large firm over the winter. Any info would be helpful.

Jul 25, 08 3:02 am
randomized

First of all congratulations. Try to be pro-active and show an interest and enthusiasm in different aspects of the job or you might be stuck slicing blue foam for 3 months. Also be prepared for ridiculous working hours and working weekends, forget any form of social life besides the people you see at the office, you'll only leave for sleeping...but enjoy it and you'll have a great addition to your resume.

Jul 25, 08 4:31 am  · 
 · 
nb072

I've heard they ask a lot of hard questions at the interview. But your chances of getting a job at (S)OMA are certainly better in the fall than in the summer. I absolutely hate the idea of absurd working hours - but it'll be good experience, hopefully.

Jul 25, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

probably you have checked the video on his website, tells the world how their office life is and how is the feeling of the happy interns there. One of my friend has been slept for 6 days and still hanging on. anyway, if you are still energetic enough, go ahead.

If you love him, sent him to OMA, that is heaven

if you hate him, sent him to OMA, that is hell...

Jul 25, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

very sooory, actually that should be has NOT been slept for 6 days

Jul 25, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

They do ask some odd questions in the interview but Marc (the guy who interviewed me) left the same day I did. I didn't get much time to figure out what the new guy was like.

I worked during summer but it doesn't really make any difference. It's always the same weather indoors. ;) Depending on what project you end up on, it can be extremely hard work or insanely hard work. Either way, how much you enjoy it depends on your attitude. If you see it as a job you will hate it. Everybody has a crisis and everybody is always busy. However, if you see it as getting paid (all be it a tiny amount) for the best education you'll receive, then it'll be a great experience and you'll be glad to stay until 5am 7 days a week because the guys you are chatting to are so good at what they do. See it as architecture-camp, make sure to push yourself as hard as you can, and be sure to look into the projects that are going on around you.

I left oma a much better student that when I arrived. Absorb, absorb, absorb and you'll be bursting with ideas when you leave. You'll have a great time.

Rotterdam - though a bit of a dump when you first arrive has a great party scene. A few of the guys at oma live in a squat in an old school (nicer than it sounds) and have great parties. Be sure to go to warehouse parties too. Much better than the bars which can get repetitive.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or need advice about where to live.

Jul 25, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
DSal

I had an interview there last year about this time for a long term position. The interview process was very hap-hazard. No real schedule they just have you show up and then find a couple people to talk to you. I was there for 6 hours I think and talked to two differenct people...one nice, the other seemed to have better things to do. I know the HR person that was there when I was there wasn't too warm and fuzzy, but I think she left. I ran in to a friend from school who worked there and he confirmed the nolifeallwork reality. But hey, if it is for and intern period then enjoy what you can and see it all as a learning experince, even if you are cutting foam 20hrs a day.

Jul 25, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Zaha worked there, Winy Maas from MVRDV did it, PLOT (BIG + JDS) did it, REX (Joshua Prince) did it.... so i dont see how not sleeping, cutting foam, living in a boring city could affect ur professional development at all...

congrats, good luck getting selected

Jul 25, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
SELLOUT

I would recommend just being yourself in your interview, let your own interests and passions and optimism come across. However, be as direct and focused as possible. Practice running through your resume and portfolio to develop a coherent story about your work, and so you can avoid rambling or archispeak/jargon in the interview. Rem is pretty disconnected from the day to day work process, but his manner of truth and brevity is ever present in that office culture.

The hours are long (anyone who goes sleepless beyond the night before a deadline is simply being inefficient and self-abusive) but you are working alongside incredible colleagues from all over the world who are just as excited to be there as you are. You might be cutting alot of foam and spray-painting plastic people in the beginning - but be reliable, do it well and with enthusiasm and you'll move on up to better things.

Chris H described R'dam as I would. It seems incredibly sleepy at first, but there is a close-knit creative community who are making impacts in the arts and design well beyond R'dam and NL. The evidence of their presence at parties, galleries, restaurants, etc is really a nice part of the city. Apartments are reasonable and you can effortlessly bike everywhere!

Jul 25, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

congrats, but a question;

you're a second year undergrad student. are you taking the semester off? are you at a co-op school? i tried to work with my school to allow me to do a co-op type thing at OMA but they wouldnt let me.... -_-

just curious

Jul 25, 08 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
enpapier

Thanks everyone for your help, I really do appreciate it. We'll see how this goes.

alucidwake, I do go to a co-op school. Imagine non-stop architecture for almost three years. It's a blessing and a curse. I wouldn't want it any other way, though.

Jul 25, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
harold

Do you get to detail or make CD's at OMA?

I wonder how working for OMA makes you an starchitect?

Some of you say it's good for your resume. But once you have worked for the best architects, why would you be needing OMA on your resume (unless you are planning to work for other starchitects and hope to one of them someday).

It's scary reading these posts. At least it's clear why laywers, doctors, accountants etc. are on top of the game and architects and architecture in general is stuck at the bottom.

Jul 26, 08 3:33 am  · 
 · 

harold - you can get to do details and CDs at oma depending on what project you are on.

Jul 28, 08 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Internships does not a starchitect make, money and connections is what is required.

Jul 28, 08 9:07 am  · 
 · 
quizzical
"imagine non-stop architecture for almost three years

What are you thinking happens when you get out of school?

Jul 28, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 
SELLOUT

working for a starchitect DEFINITELY doesn't make you anything special.

But...if you have the motivation and courage to seek out places like oma you might also possess the drive to transcend the status quo victim culture of the work-a-day architect. After a few years with the starchitect you still need money and connections or else a self starting business plan.

Adding some sparkle to your CV and rubbing shoulders with "the starchitect" isn't the most useful part of the experience. It's learning how to make better architecture that's so valuable.

If you're interested in doing CD's - let them know in your interview. Most architects go there wanting to design, and it used to be the case that a junior person could find a tremendous amount of freedom in the documents phase.

Jul 28, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 

hahahaha. quzzical, that was probably first time i've laughed all week.

what indeed?

oh, man, kids these days.

Jul 29, 08 7:09 am  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

@ Harold
I haven't read, seen or heard Rem Koolhaas miss an opportunity to distance himself from the starchitect label. Nor even pretend that he considers himself to be one (but rather pointing the finger at Gehry and Stormin' Norman). That we live in an age that appears to be attracted to the creation of such semantic constructs should be evident by the name of this site itself. Personally, I think the term has become tired and overused. Strike that: Irrelevant and boring. The "starchitect" (or perceived "starchitect") bashing likewise.
I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph. What "game"?

@ enpapier
Good luck with the interview. Let us know how it went (we never hear back from posters like this!) and enjoy your time at OMA should it happen.
I think you'll be around great colleagues and be able to learn a huge amount.

Jul 29, 08 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
SELLOUT

Enpapier - I agree with the above, let us know how the interview goes!

Jul 30, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

So? How did it go?

Aug 12, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
enpapier

It was less than stellar.
The guy pretty much accused me of stealing drawings that I never worked on from my previous internship.
He then suddenly got incredibly nervous, and told me that he would have to call me back in five minutes.
Twenty minutes later, he did call back, and basically spoke to the effect of he didn't know what to talk about in a phone interview.
A waste of his time, a waste of my time, and my intelligence is still (only a little!) insulted.
I mean, honestly, hanging up in the middle of an interview?
Needless to say, the whole situation is probably for the best.

And who said anything about becoming a starchitect?

Aug 12, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
SELLOUT

sorry to hear that, enpapier. thanks, though for keeping us updated, though!

oma has always been a disorganized office with overwhelmed professionals, but people typically transcended the chaos to do great work. i guess it's inevitable that oma's growth has allowed professionals with diminished capacity to participate in recruiting.

if there is an opportunity, perhaps you could interview with someone else at another time. it sounds like this guy wasn't too in control and might've been reactively staffing a specific project. you could have a completely different kind of interview with different people under different circumstances....

Aug 12, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
AfRoThUnD312

How long does it typically take for OMA to respond to an application if they are hiring interns for the fall?

also, are there really 1000 people applying? that seems quite steep!

Jun 4, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 
ether

There are 21,034 people applying for 14 spots this year, I hear. But then again, my sources could be wrong, oh dear.

Jun 4, 09 10:54 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

oh my god.... lol. jesus.

Jun 4, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"also, are there really 1000 people applying? that seems quite steep!"

hello, welcome to the recession. I'm not sure where you have been the last week, month and/or year but there are 1000 people applying to every job regardless of the pay, position and job duties.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Jun 4, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I find it amazing that so many people who are supposedly trained to be independent critical thinkers would flock to indentured servitude. Maybe it's more amazing that many people believe in the value of that job... cult.

Jun 4, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 

haha...well at least interns have a chance.
the ONLY jobs going at oma are internships atm
eg from their website:

Architectural Internships
Model Shop Internship
Business Development Internship
Public Relations Internship
Archive / Collections Internship...

guess they have to run the whole office on interns till they get some more money coming in...

Jun 4, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: