Zaha Hadid Architects

Royal Festival Hall
Allies and Morrison

Westminster Academy
Allford Hall Monaghan Morris

A writeup.

What do you think?

Jul 22, 08 2:08 am

i'd like hadid to get it this time, and especially in this group, which IMO is pretty bland.

Jul 22, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I prefer the grimshaw over the hadid, which is a bit of a one-trick pony, IMO.

Jul 22, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 

I personally, hope that the Royal Festival Hall.
I suppose Hadid does deserve it though, she has been ignored for so long.

I didn't really like the Tram line stations, although i guess technologically they were pretty "ground breaking" in the use of materials..

Jul 22, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

zaha ignored? her grille is everywhere man.

Jul 22, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Vado,
I meant only in the sense that she hasn't been given an award br the British Architectural profession yet, nor has she really built in England except for her recent Maggies' center....

Not that she doesn't get enough press.

Jul 22, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

From what I hear she's largely ignored in England. I know everybody's trying to slither their way out from under her design for the olympic pool, which frankly is probably the only piece of architecture going up for the london 2012 olympics thats worth noting.

Jul 22, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think there's some good stodgy british porridge projects in this bunch, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Hadid's project is not bad, from what I've seen of it; and I can certainly understand the feeling that she's due. But I don't think so. I think sustainability and community development are going to be at the forefront of the judges' minds. It would be good for a school to get the prize - I'm just not quite sure if AHMM's school is actually that great: it's effectively a mid-rise office-block.

I think it could go anywhere this year - but I don't think Hadid.

Jul 22, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

she has said several times that "I don't go to play golf with them" ("them" being the british architectural intelligentsia: architects, critics, promoters, etc)

but, without knowing too much about these projects, my vote goes to Zaha.. sooner or later they will have to start accepting her and her work (and her shoes, her cars..)

Jul 22, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wait, why do we have to start accepting it, if 50% is banal crap?

Jul 22, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Let me just clarify,
I don't think she is necessarily deserving, just that there is a feeling that she is ignored by the British architectural "golfing" crowd...

Although i agree about the Olympic Swimming stadium..

Jul 22, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

oooh, holz is layin' down the smack.

Jul 22, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I don't think Hadid can plausibly claim outsider status any more. She's kind of a big deal.

Jul 22, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
wait, why do we have to start accepting it, if 50% is banal crap?

because of the other 50%?... I don't think there are too many architects out there whose careers are composed of less than 50% of crap... except for some of the big names, Zumthor, Murcutt, etc.. but not too many

probably because she's a big deal in the rest of the world, the british -well, the ones that may have some power of influence- are reticent to let her have a piece of the cake -more if Hadid is the name of a woman and a foreigner (and not even european or from a catholic country)-...
but I guess there are some critics that support her... not that I remember any particular article but The Guardian -Jonathan Glancey, at least- seems to like her work... the problem is if those fat, conservative, old promoters care too much about architectural criticism written in a 'progressive' newspaper

Jul 22, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

god how can anyone consider hadid an outsider? in the world of architectural awards, hype, comissions and coverage she is an ultimate insider...

Jul 22, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

an insider, maybe, but she's not of "them"... these things happen... Calatrava is almost forbidden in Barcelona because of a 'problematic' communications tower he did for the 92 Olympics.. since then he's seen as persona non-grata among the main architectural families.. no matter how famous he is

I guess every city and every country has some kind of architecture cliques that are pretty difficult to get in... and I hear the British are ...er.. very British with these things

Jul 22, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I guess old Europe can be very old for some things, so to speak.. a la Sicilian...

Jul 22, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Hadid herself:

"She is hugely admired and sought-after everywhere - except seemingly in Britain where she has lived for over 30 years. She has built a small cancer centre in Scotland and is currently building the Glasgow Transport Museum but her only commission in England is the aquatic stadium for the Olympics that goes on site later this year. It seems insane that she is so neglected here. Is it because she is Iraqi-born, therefore still "foreign" despite her British nationality? Or because she is a woman? Or because she is "difficult"? (She is certainly difficult to understand because she talks a mile a minute in an almost incomprehensible accent.) [...]
"People always ask me how come you haven't done much here, and I don't have an explanation," she sighs. "There are so many projects in the City, but we are never asked to design them. I don't know why. Do they think we are too wild? I don't know. I am not part of this boys' network so I have no idea." Maybe because she's not good at talking to clients? "Well I've never even got to that situation. I am not part of the brotherhood which is more to the point." Brotherhood? Does she mean freemasonry? "No, I don't think freemasonry but there are places men can go and women can't, like those gentlemen's clubs, or guys asking each other to play golf or go on a sailing trip. I think the main problem is that most of the work here is with private clients and it's up to them - it's their land after all. They can choose whom they want and they don't want me, it's very obvious. But I don't know why. They haven't told me what the problem is - I'm just baffled." Does she think it's more to do with being a woman or being a foreigner? "I think they're equal. I can't generalise."

there are other interviews were she said more or less the same:
http://www.geocities.com/medit1976b/hadid3.htm

Jul 22, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

is there really such an old boys network in the UK? I'm interested to know.

Jul 23, 08 1:40 am  · 
 · 

the brits invented the 'old boys network'

Jul 23, 08 4:52 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

There is still a trace of the old boys network in Britain, but this is not so strong any more. It is mostly found in old fashioned nepotism between clients/consultants and architects. This is something that is found everywhere around the globe.

Zaha can absolutely not claim outsider status. She's used that as an excuse for so long and, at one time, it may have been true. But the fact of the matter is that she relies on this reputation and the resulting nepotism as much as any superstar architect. She isn't some naive girl stranded in a foreign country trying to realise her dream with no money. She's hugely rich through family lines, paid the AA's exorbitant fees and got chummy with the power houses of the establishment. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. If she insists on courting the world of nepotism then when word of mouth spreads about her (for want of a better word) repulsive personal handling of staff and clients, I don't think she's in a position to whine.

Jul 24, 08 7:13 am  · 
 · 

so you're saying sometimes those closest to home might understand too much about you?

ok so i've read all the blurbs and looked at all of the pictures a few times now and i'm frustrated that i can't get really excited enough about any of these projects to care who wins. i mean, they're perfectly nice projects, but...

don't mean to be negative. i want to find a standout. anyone help me?

Jul 24, 08 7:20 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

Steven - was that question directed at me? If so could you elaborate as I didn't understand what you were getting at.

Jul 24, 08 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

All i know is if I was a wealthy client looking for someone to say, design me a high-profile building like an office tower, museum or lux condo tower, I would be extremely skittish to hire Zaha. While her designs are typically high-caliber she sacrifices alot of functionality for the sake of her own personal vision and she comes across as a person that would be really hard to talk to regarding my own vision and how I would want to proceed. Mayhaps she hasn't designed that much in the UK because thats where she's known best and potential clients are scared of her.

Jul 24, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

Very good point apurimac...I think I understand Steven's point better now that you kind of touched on it. Steven - did you mean that she gets very little work because her reputation as a tyrant spreads around her UK base whereas overseas clients only get to see the gushing reviews in the press?

As for your point, apurimac...I think you're spot on. Generally zaha gets hired by clients who want a landmark building and don't have to occupy it themselves (ie. this big cheese of the company decides to hire her) or for things that can skate by the functionality for sheer statement (funky railway roofs, novelty* furniture/product design etc). People such as OMA may occasionally let the concequences of theory cloud the reality of practicalities, but generally they use the individual situation of each site/client's needs to create a bespoke solution that sits between convenience and statement. A much better and balanced approach.

*i.e. not adhereing to the usual demansds of functionality put on furniture etc

Jul 24, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

without defending Hadid, about whose work i often feel mixed, i think the cable rail line project is actually very nice. i'm trying to remember now where i saw it in more detail, but it was a nice project dedicated to a small line, but i think it was an especially nice integration of architecture and infrastructure. and while i'm sure it was not the most cost-effective design, i think the US could learn something about glorifying public works projects, as this one has, and while it may not necessarily be sustainable in nature, it is essentially a series of pavilions supporting a public transit line. sounds fairly sustainable to me.

Jul 24, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Somebody agrees with many of the above who expressed the sentiment "Ehhhh"..........
Stirling Prize shortlist is not Britain's best, says William JR Curtis

Jul 28, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

That's a great write-up, namh. Much better than the BD one I linked to. I'd say his assessment is pretty sound.

Jul 28, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: