Archinect
anchor

Adaptive reuse firms in Chicago, San Fran, and Atlanta

cloak and dagger

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good firms in any of these cities whose focus is primarily adaptive reuse? Thanks ahead of time!

Sep 22, 04 12:29 am
weave
brockgreen

in atlanta have done several loft conversions and have won a few awards for it.

Sep 22, 04 9:35 am  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Chicago:
pappageorgehaymes.com

Sep 22, 04 10:31 am  · 
 · 
richardtaylor

Weaverock, you cant forget that funny old architect over at the Stove Works.
2003 Atlanta Urban Design Award of Excellence

Sep 22, 04 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
archidose
Daniel Coffey

does a lot of adaptive reuse in Chicago, including the Medinah Temple/Bloomingdale's transformation and Tree Studios next door.

Sep 22, 04 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
jfactor

in atlanta you might look into serber barber choate and hertlein too..they do architectural presvervation and some really nice loft projects working with old factories, schools, etc

Sep 22, 04 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
TED

archidose, i think cloak and dagger used the word 'good firms' so one needs to strike out the word dan coffey from anyones list or start a new list 'barely marginal adaptive reuse firms'

Sep 22, 04 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

cloak - one last atlanta firm: smith dalia architects is also (still) doing a lot of adaptive re-use projects. smithdalia brock green tells me they have mostly new work (good, urban mixed use work) on the boards - not much adaptive reuse.

surber barber, mentioned above, recently was awarded a commission to convert a massive 400k+ ex sears wharehouse turned city hall outpost into fashionable new lofts, retail, etc. it will be a long process, but it's a fascinating building.

Sep 22, 04 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: