Archinect
anchor

"Work Sample" requirement for Jobs?

ankitdarda

Hello Everyone,

I just did not get when firm asks for work samples instead of portfolio and have to upload less than 5mb of file..What exactly they wanted to look at? Our quality of work production/design/construction knowledge/etc.?

I tried to get internship this summer but end-up with nothing but some unpaid. I am bit lost and now will reworking on my portfolio/work samples and cover letter and start applying again for coming winter. Please some one explain what exactly Firms require/looking at and if possible reference examples/portfolios are always welcome!

Thank you very much!!

Jul 22, 13 1:11 am
Built work. CDs. Completed designs. No bullshit.

It means a short portfolio tuned to the position.
Jul 22, 13 4:03 am  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

We want to see three things:

1. Can you follow instructions?  If candidates send us a 30 mb file instead of <5 mb, then they probably are not too detail oriented, don't pay as much attention as they probably should, and may require extensive hand holding if hired.

2. Everyone's resume says that they're excellent at Autocad, Rhino, Vray, and Illustrator.  Your work samples tell us if you actually are or not in about 15 seconds.

3. Can you present a coherent message or story to us in a limited space?

Whatever you send, it should look really good - sounds obvious, I know, but you're not impressing anyone with that lousy Autocad site plan from your last internship.  Clean the drawing up so that it looks great - well organized, legible, good notes and dimensions.  Then its ready to send out.  Same goes for school projects and competitions.

Jul 22, 13 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

Thank you Will, Even I believe in straight forward perspective than combining too many things with similar data.

Hello bkiyntotfc,  I agree about the View you presented here. I will definitely going to look at that in more depth.

​Thank you for your opinions..

Jul 23, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Samples are brief and concise selections of work chosen to highlight your capabilities in the ways outlined above by bklyntotfc.

A portfolio is quite often an overly long and unfocused document that may (or may not) contain relevant work samples.

Jul 23, 13 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

Thanks citizen..

Then why here in school they tell us to make mini portfolio??? is it kind of work sample? or just display of your best renderings/work??

I have not seen any work sample here with const. drawings and with other things??

Is it different from work sample or same??

Aug 5, 13 2:27 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

Mini portfolios and work sample are essentially the same thing since they both show your technical/design prowess. However, it is up to your digression as to which one of your works you want to send out if there is a file size limit.

Of course, it is also beneficial for one to invest time outside of school to improve the projects that you have already done to make it more legible and concise if it is not so already.

Not all will have construction drawings, details or any number of specific types of drawings to show and that's what make certain people stand out. You might want to invest your time studying construction methods and details so that you can create some from the projects that you have already done.

Hope that helps :D

Aug 5, 13 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Alpheus

I am an Architect, graduated at "La Sapienza"University of Rome on 5-years course (3 years bachelor degree + 2 years master degree with 2 years of experience in Albania in different positions in important  buildings.

I have tried to contact the german large firms by sending them my CV and Portfolio.I have recieved some answers like:

We are impressed by your background and your professional experience but  we don't have any vacancies for the moment,or we have chosen another candidate that matches more closely our requirement.We will keep your CV in our file to review for future openings.In the case we will not hesitate to contact you.

I repute these  as positive answers , but as I am a foreigner and this  is the first time that I apply for a job in Germany, I am not sure about this.

Do you repute this a positive answer or it can be a traditional answer to thank the candidate for the application and  interest he has shown for the firm?

Thank you

Aug 13, 13 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I have some history with this website....hehehehe....but I found that the best way to get into this profession is by referral. Tell your teachers (this is what helped me), family members, and everyone that you know that you are looking for work and keep talking to the people on this forum they will help you. I'm a Revit drafter in a mostly commercial firm I don't know your background or if you are going for your idp.

Aug 13, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

@Alpheus: I agree, its just a very traditional and formal way to say No. As you can see its getting very difficult to get in in any firm now..and also because they receive may be more than 100 portfolio's and CV's a month. I feel now days referral is also more important, equal to your work samples.  And, Sometimes you can be lucky enough or on time to get the job.. any ways Best luck everyone for job/internship hunting..

;)

Sep 10, 13 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

Hello Everyone,

After your inspirational comments I had decided and started working on my Work sample for Winter Break Internship. Please review my work sample and leave your valuable feedback below:

http://issuu.com/ankitdarda/docs/worksample_2014_01_pages_for_trial_

thank you!!

Sep 10, 13 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

guys I seriously need some feedback on my work sample..please have them here..it will be big help for me..

thanks !!

http://issuu.com/ankitdarda/docs/worksample_2014_01_pages_for_trial_

Sep 13, 13 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: