Archinect
anchor

wall butting into storefront glass detail....

tagalong

Anyone know of a straightforward way to detail the end condition / intersection of a metal stud wall with 2 hours of gyp. and and existing storefront system at the glass?

Do you have to jog over to a mullion? I"m not even sure that would maintain the 2 hour rating. I'd like to avoid taking on the scope of replacing the glass assembly as it's a tight budget.

We're working on a tenant finish out and the clients agreed upon lease space ends right in the middle of a glass pane among an existing store front window system. They are the first tenant to go into new shell space so there are no existing walls other than the exterior.

Thanks.

Jul 19, 13 4:55 pm
Anob

I literally have seen this done. You can build the 2hr wall up to the mullion grille. The wall can land wherever to storefront. This will keep the tenant and LL happy and pass code This is of course ugly solution. 

Find out what the LL will help pay for. They will help pay if can  it boost the appearance of the facade. Better looking building helps boost revenue for them and their clients.

Jul 19, 13 5:09 pm  · 
1  · 

LOL. Mirror the end of the partition.

Jul 19, 13 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I always try to tee my walls into a mullion. Be careful (whatever your solution) that the exterior wall does not need a rating too
Jul 20, 13 9:50 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You might want to look at this company for a solution.  If you want to match an anodized aluminum wall system it can be painted.

http://www.thecornerguardstore.com/end-wall-guards

Jul 20, 13 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm kind of surprised at how little information there is on this, considering how often this ends up happening. (well, not always with the rated wall)

Jun 26, 18 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Don't forget to consider the acoustic problems this detail inevitably creates. I worked in an office once that did this for a meeting room. Nothing in that meeting room was private to the people sitting on the other side of that wall.

Jun 27, 18 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

There's a product for this: Mullion Mates by Gordon.

Online here: http://www.gordon-inc.com/inte...

The bottom of the page has the wall into glass detail.  

Jun 28, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
MitchKBooth

Thank you Sir!!

May 24, 22 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Hopefully the OP figured something out 6 years ago. But for anyone else stumbling across this, the Mullion Mate product from Gordon is spot on. Mull-It-Over has similar solutions too: http://www.mullitoverproducts.com/details-specs.html. They note to contact them if your partition doesn't end at a mullion and they can help customize the solution or something like that.

Jul 18, 19 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
poop876

Thank you!

Jul 19, 19 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: