Archinect
anchor

Flip Flops

evilplatypus

NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR NASTY SWEATEY FEET CLICK CLACKING AROUND THE OFFICE LIKE SUCTION CUPS. DONT WEAR FLIP FLOPS TO THE OFFICE YOU FAT FUCKING SLOTH

Jul 15, 08 12:08 pm
xtbl

ahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Jul 15, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

haha

i thought flip-flops was a no-go in the
office anyway, common sense isnt so common anymore

seems as though someone doesnt share
that same idea

has the boss said anything?

Jul 15, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

sorry bro, i'll put my crocs back on

Jul 15, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I told Mrs B flip-flops were not to be worn when were walking the dogs
at night just incase we encounter a neighborhood bear. One can't run for diddle in flip-flops, and I don't think the noise is going to scare him away.

Jul 15, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I would make you cringe than snook. I think I even cut my grass in flip flops once. Granted it was a manual pushmower that does not go backwards, but I did it in flip-flops none-the-less.

These are the ones I prefer to wear when doing yard work though.

Jul 15, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
+
Jul 15, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

nice toenails
how do you keep them so yellow?

Jul 15, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i hate all open toed shoes... virtually without exception.

dont mind flip flops on women...thats actually the only exception...

Jul 15, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

feet were meant to be covered unless your being sexed up

Jul 15, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

jesus wore filp flops

Jul 15, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

uh-oh, the one day i wear flip-flops... now i'm paranoid.

Jul 15, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Only thing worse than having to listen to someone slob around in flip-flops is a slob the shuffles around in their flip flops.
Scrape-Flip, Scrape-Flop.
Drives me nuts. Pick up your damn feet. If you really need to have something jammed in-between your toes all the time stick something in there (maybe a gerbil) and just walk around normally. Please.

Jul 15, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Mark_M

flip flops are the rubber kind right

I rock sandals

big difference if you ask me.

Jul 15, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i hate it when people refer to them as "thongs."

and for the record, i like flip flops, but i wouldn't wear them to the office.

Jul 15, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

i ride a bike into work everyday and carry a set of sandals with me to wear in the office because they fit in my bag easily. but i guess you guys must have a totally different office culture. here lots of people where flip flops... in fact today our prinicple in charge has set on. and we just had a meeting where we landed a big university project..... thats right in filp flops

Jul 15, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You don't have to flip the flop, you know. All wearers should employ one of the two techniques to prevent flippage. These are the "grip with the toes" and the exact opposite, "turn toes high up so as to put pressure on the ball of your foot, and leverage the heal of the flop up." Please, try one of these techniques. You will find you will look much less obnoxious and immature, and you flip flops will become part of your outfit, not an example of lazines. [/soapbox]

Jul 15, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Whatever happened to these sexy (and loud) shoes?:

Jul 15, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

dear god

Jul 15, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

i had an office job where the only time i wore sandals to work (on a casual friday mind you), i was pulled aside and had a talking to about my professionalism. bare in mind i had no meetings that day and there were no clients in the building...not to mention there was a girl in the office who always wore the clogs ^ above and could be heard from a mile away.

needless to say, i didn't work there much longer after that.

Jul 15, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

good to be the boss in the office and pretty much set the dresscode of the office, or just fired whomever doesnt want to hear my "NASTY SWEATEY FEET CLICK CLACKING AROUND THE OFFICE LIKE SUCTION CUPS"

stop being that square my dear colleagues, new times are coming

hehehehe

Jul 15, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

?
Is that you or an iPod ad. Very boilerplate hipster. It's okay to look like that on the weekends...but if I were a client and came to your office to see that, I'd take my business somewhere else. Rather late 90's looking anyway, except for the iPod.
hehehehehe

Jul 15, 08 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i just think they are ugly... sorry...

and in my opinion... man sandels are the most horrific invention of all time. you know those big leather strapped ones... ugliest things ive ever seen....

EVER

makes me embarrassed to even be loosely associated by gender to the people who wear them......

end of discussion.

Jul 15, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Behold....BOILERPLATE 2008! Coming to an architecture program near you!
GABBA GABBA GABBA

Jul 15, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Hear Hear - time to end this exposed foot nonsense

Jul 15, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Surfaces - I just read your link and while provocative and possibaly the underlying psychic instigation, I do have rather large, obese friends. They are fun. But they dont where flip flops.

Jul 15, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

yo gabba gabba

yo gabba gabba?

Jul 15, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

I was HOPING someone would pick-up on that....however, I'd have to argue that the Bassbin Twins Remix rules:
YO gabba gabba

Jul 15, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

flip flips and socks......

southernplayalisticcadillacmusic

Jul 15, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

I used to work with a guy who wore these socks (see below).
One day he was showing me pictures of his weekend trip to a Raspberry Orchard, and in one picture he was wearing a straw hat (see also below) sitting in the orchard with raspberries all over his face. I took two steps back and whacked him with a roll of drawings.....drawings I was almost out the door with before he called me over to brag about his aformentioned experience. Some people just don't know and need to be whacked with a newspaper or similarly rolled architectural drawing.

Jul 15, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i don't pants...my exposed feet are the least of your worries

Jul 15, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and for what it's worth...i thought this thread was about housing "flips" that had flopped...i would have loved to hear their failure stories...might make a good show on hgtv

Jul 15, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

i don't wear flip flops to work, unfortunately, except when teaching at the governor's school. but i try to act like i'm wearing flip flops. a flip flop state of mind is a good thing.

Jul 16, 08 7:27 am  · 
 · 
aspect

flip flops to work are for green ppl, you can bring them to site inspection and they would never wear those to work again.

Jul 16, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
facader

I worked in an office where they encouraged you to wear flip flops. They were extremely competent engineers, and they said that if you dressed up for a meeting, you were compensating for something. Surprisingly they are highly respected, and to a degree I feel they are right. Which is why I only wear tighty whities to meetings now. Only.

Jul 16, 08 9:33 am  · 
 · 
ether

If you've got it flaunt it.

(we have no dress code at the office. flip flops are a regular occurrence)

Jul 16, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I've been known to wear flip-flops like the ones Mark_M posted (leather) to work and agree with SH - if you know how to wear them they don't flop. Very rarely do you hear mine, and that's why I can get away with it. I also wear my pants long so it just looks like I'm either wearing sndals or going barefoot, which I am prone to do. If I had it my way I'd only wear shoes outside.

Jul 16, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Renewable
Jul 16, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 

what the hell? did that person get acid on the feet and then couldn't wash it out from under the flip flop strap?!

Jul 16, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

Staph

Jul 16, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Just another reason to advocate against wearing shoes. Ouch!!!!

Jul 16, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

facader, I'm all for casual office wear, but believe dressing up is a sign of respect for the party with whom you are meeting and has NOTHING to do with one's abilities. If you're an idiot a nice suit won't cover for you, or might, but only for the first five minutes.

And for me, casual office wear doesn't include flip flops, or any form of exposed toe, male OR female. Flip flops are for the beach, period. Of course my partner wears them to our office - and meetings - every day.

I hate to sound so old but I'm sick of seeing people dressed slovenly. If I were dirt poor and could only afford to wear rags I'd be pretty insulted by wealthy people choosing to do so. My husband always comments on how most people seem to think the world is their living room: sweatpants, drawstring pants, on the phone, coffee cup permanently glued to the hand. Don't we respect our fellow humans enough to at least make an attempt to look presentable when going outside?

That said, I think MAD looks quite cool upthread. He's made an effort to look stylish, which currently includes a somewhat raggy look. When I was in Vienna the locals were described as being schlampig, a sort of carefully put-together sloppy look, which they were able to carry off elegantly.

But, if he showed up at my office for an interview in that, I'd likely not hire him.

Jul 16, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

hahaha, LB and POCZATEK, of course i dont go to meetings and/or receive clients like that, thats just the average relaxed day stuff i wear in the office if i know no one is coming, sure i understand "etiquette" rules, still the place i have my office at (Cabo) allows you to be more casual than normal...also all my clients come in shorts and hawaiian shirts...so is part of the vibe of the place (the image i posted is when i was living in Barcelona, which during summer also gets really hot and outfits more relaxed...and barcelona, as LB said is a "carefully put-together sloppy look" kind of place, still i try now to put together ripped jeans with designer dress shirts, so it balances ;)

it was just intended to answer back to the radical flipflop hater that started the tread

Jul 16, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Cabo? Well, hell, why not just wear a bikini to work then ;-)

(In other words, yes, regionalism matters in the dress code.)

Jul 16, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

you work in cabo!?

you guys hiring? =D

Jul 16, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Dam straight radical flip flop hater. i can only imagine the disgusting filth picked up by these folks' feets walking around in the subway, or through alleys and sidewalks in the city.

I want to puke just think of it

Jul 16, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I agree with you LB - I do think some people take the word "casual" too far. I don't wear ripped jeans or Tshirts to work, even on dress down Fridays, and personally I think that look should be left for the weekends. During the week I don't even wear khakis as I feel they are too dressed down. You'll typically find me in nicely tailored classic cut Anne Taylor pants and a nice top, even when I'm not meeting with clients. I don't mind open toe sandals for women in the summer if it they are dressy. It just goes with the latest styles, although there are some strappy sandals out there that are a little too "strappy".

Jul 16, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Evil - do you take your shoes off once you enter the house? If you don't just think about the nastiness you are tramping through it. At least you can wash your feet when you get home, whereas with shoes it's a little harder to do. Think about how gross they are. Ewwwwwww!!!!!!

Jul 16, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Not always but then again I dont lay on my floor either

Jul 16, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Cabo - I'll pack my flip flops and come work with you MAD+MAD - I like the ring to it.

But I wear flip flops when I go to the office on weekends where I'm guaranteed not to see clients. There is a dutch practice with an office in the Caribbean called barefoot architects, but they usually dress in sandals and shorts. I think as Liberty said, that one has to be regional about it - I for one am not going to wear a suit to any meeting whilst here in the Caribbean but I won't wear thongs either (of the toe or butt crack variety)

Jul 16, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: