Archinect
anchor

salary in boston firm

elkus

I have been looking for the salary in the salary poll but i couldn't find one with no experience.
I am a march 1 holder (just got out of the school) with a couple of internship during summer.
How much should I expect for working in the small firm(less then 10 people)?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 10, 08 1:57 pm
med.

50k?

Jul 10, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

at least this much.....anything less isn't worth it

Jul 10, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
walldrug

It will vary according to firm. It will also depend on your portfolio and computer skills. If you've had any summer internships in architecture or at least have previous office experience that would help. I would imagine that $50k would be towards the optimistic end. $35-45k is probably a more likely range.

Jul 10, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
med.

There is no way I'd move up to Boston and accept anything less than 45k.

Jul 10, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

walldrug is right though, and rent isn't getting any cheaper up here either.

Jul 10, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Boston is more expensive than DC from what I understand. Therefore they should make the compensation proportional.

Jul 10, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

With a few internships and a recent BArch, I know people are generally making $40-45k. Since an MArch I and BArch are similar in terms of educational experience, I'd guess the range would be similar, maybe slightly higher, but I would be skeptical of finding a place willing to dish out $50k, though I'm sure they do exist.

With rent and the cost of living here (I can't find even a decent beer for less than $4.50 now!!!), places should pay more, but they don't. Luckily a monthly T pass is only $59!

Jul 10, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
this_guy

I have some friends that are currently looking. The range fresh out of school seems like 42-46. 42 going to those with a non professional degree and 46 to those with B.arch or an M.arch.

One archinector once sad that an intern making a ton of money is the most likely candidate to get cut if the firm hits a rough patch. i thought it was a good thing to keep in mind.

Jul 10, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

in every community, salaries still are determined - in part - by supply and demand. while Boston (along with NYC) may be an extremely costly place to live, there are still a whole lot of architects who want to live and work there. to the extent supply significantly exceeds demand, wages will be depressed - cost of living notwithstanding.

case in point: the 2005 AIA Compensation Survey for the Boston Metro Area for Entry Level Interns shows the "average" wage to be $34,600 and the "median" wage to be $34,800. If you escalate those figures by CPI increases in the Boston area since the survey was conducted, the "average" jumps to $41,684 and the "median" jumps to $41,925.

i'm not for a moment suggesting that these figures are fair -- however, I will suggest that they probably come close to representing "the market" in Boston for entry level talent.

however, as walldrug suggests, a lot will depend on what skills and experience the individual brings to the table.

good luck.

Jul 10, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
elkus

Thanks for all postings. It helps me alot to figure out how much I can expect.
It seems to be much less than I thought (low 40k).
I guess I shouldn't expect more since I am interested in a small firm rather than a corporate. (smaller firms tend to give less money than bigger firms )

Jul 10, 08 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
med.

It's settled. 50k

Jul 11, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

Hi elkus,

Smaller firms do not necessarily pay less than bigger firms do.
I guess you are looking for good smaller firms, not any smaller firms.
Competition for entry level job in Boston is fierce because there is quite abundant supply of good people from architectural schools in the area.

good luck.

Sep 1, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

Besides,
I know some good small firms tend to look for people with all-around skills and good eyes for graphic.
Portfolios should be balanced combination of 2d black-gray-white drawings and 3d renderings (some clearly understandable complex modellings would be prefered).

Sep 1, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: