Archinect
anchor

contemporary architecture in Peru

French

Hi yall
It's been a while since my last post, but I thought the worldwide network of archinect's artchitecture pimpers would be helpful for the topic I'm working on.
Since our office will be opened this summer, we decided to registered for a competition in Peru organised by the architectum website.
my knowledge of the general culture of this country is limited to the folklore of precolumbian culture (which is already very interesting).
I was wandering if any of you know anything about contemporary architecture in peru. I haven't been able to find anything relevant about this topic on the web, but I figured there probably would be people here from Peru, or that have been here...
Any input welcome, thanks in advance

Yours truly

French

Jul 9, 08 5:28 am
aml

french, i wish i could help, i'm just north of peru and recently visited but focused on the archeological ruins. you should do a search in plataforma arquitectura which is really from chile but covers south america better than most.

Jul 9, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks aml, I'll check it out!

Jul 9, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

you should check out Open City and the architecture school at the university of valparaiso. If you can find info, that is... I've tried. The little bit I know comes from guest lectures at school.

Jul 9, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
aml

slantsix, it's not clear to me how that info relates to peru. could you clarify? i'm curious.

Jul 10, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

SHIT! hahaha I was thinking of Chile!!!

That teaches me to be on archinect while I'm at work and distracted. My embarrassed apologies!

Jul 10, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
aml

ahhhhhh ok. still very interesting.

Jul 10, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
induct

I just saw a move called "Mujer de mi hermano" i think it was in Chile. Does anybody know who designed the house in it?

Jul 11, 08 1:11 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks to every contributors!
aml, I guess the website you recomended is also from chile right? It's great anyway, thanks for that.

guys, I haven't found much about Peruvian architecture, but I'm more inclined to check otu the housing towers in Sao Paulo (such as the one designed by Mendes da Rocha) as a basic exemple of South American typology.
I've also found some very interesting environmental experiments in Chile concerning the fog water.
But strictly architecutre wise, nothing of interest in Peru other than the Nazca lines and this type of things?

Jul 11, 08 6:07 am  · 
 · 
aml

yes, it's from chile but as i said it covers latin american architecture in a very complete way. if you type peru in the search box you'll get some results.

Jul 14, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Medit

there is this forum of latin american architects ... most of the people there are from all those countries, from Argentina and Chile up to Colombia or Ecuador... - http://www.todoarquitectura.com/v2/Foros/ (it's in Spanish.. I haven't checked it out for a while, but I remember there's a "Cafe" section where maybe you could ask for some help in English..)

probably there are some Peruvians there, so you can ask... but I don't remember ever seen too much stuff published about modern architecture in Peru... just some little things -especially about urbanism- in Lima (an old Architectural Review from the late 1990s, if I remember correctly, had a report on a modern architect in Lima.. but I can't recall his name)..
it's a poorer country than the rest of South America I think, so probably there isn't too much contemporary -non-traditional- new architecture there... maybe some new vernacular stuff has a certain interest anyway

Jul 14, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: