Archinect
anchor

Iranian Architecture?

SpringFresh

Hi, I am planning a trip to Iran in September, and then traveling to Istanbul via train from Tehran. I could only find discussions on the political side of the situation so I was wondering if anyone has any architectural recommendations. I am planning to visit Tehran,Isfahan and Shiraz/Persepolis, but as well as the historic examples i am keen to get a sense of the current cultural sitiation and if there is one - the contemporary architectural scene. Any tips on films/sources of information would also be very welcome, as would any suggestions for Istanbul.
Thanks

Jul 8, 08 4:11 pm
xtbl

that sounds like a great trip!

i'm sure orhan can tell you where in turkey to go.

any persian archinecteurs out there?

Jul 8, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

tehran to istanbul express would trump any contemporary architecture scene anywhere in between. enjoy the road and what is not contemporary. you'll know what i mean when you are doing it.

Jul 8, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

is it safe?

Jul 9, 08 1:35 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

it IS safe, until the US or Israel decide to attack Iran. Which, according the Seymour Hersch (of the New Yorker) is Dick Cheney's big plan before end of term.
I hope he is wrong.

Jul 9, 08 2:09 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

You should pop in on Bahram Shirdel and see what he's up to. Word around the campfire is he's doing the most 'contemporary' architecture in Iran...

Jul 9, 08 3:54 am  · 
 · 

Mr.Shirdel. Now there's a man I'd like to meet again.

Jul 9, 08 6:17 am  · 
 · 
c

maybe flip though some old issues of Bidoun , its a good mag , tho' has mainly a lebanese focus , covers other stuff as well .
I've allways wanted to go skiing in iran ..

Jul 9, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why would Iran NOT be safe?

Jul 10, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

archmed, because the idiots in the US administration are wondering when to attack Iran....

Jul 11, 08 2:11 am  · 
 · 
med.

No doubt, sameolddoctor. Bush and Ahmedinajad have a lot in common really.

I felt incredibly safe when I visited last summer. You'd be surprised what a modern and extremely sophisticated society Iran really is. There is definitely a huge gap between Iran and some of those other boorish, fundamentalist, ass-backwards places like Egypt, Afghanistan. Pakistan, and even Saudi Arabia.

The most common crime activity in Tehran is drugs/drug dealing and things that are associated with that. But tourists don't usually see a lot of it. Sure tt has all the flaws of any metropolis of about 12 million -- lot's of traffic, very noisy, and the air pollution could sometimes be extremely bad. But it's also a clean, organized, and cosmopolitain city.

There is also some interesting architecture there too. It's full of skyscrapers and high rises -- some are good while many are rather crappy.

Jul 11, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Its been my dream to visit Isfahan...

Jul 11, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes archmed, I had some iranian friends, and talking to them, always got the impression that Tehran is a very modern city with fashionable people, great food and friendly people.

Jul 11, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, there was an article in the ny times not too long ago about travel in iran that featured isfahan. it looks beautiful.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/travel/10Iran.html?scp=1&sq=esfahan&st=nyt

Jul 11, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

i think it would be an interesting country to visit but personally i would wait until the next administration...i mean, this picture doesn't reassure me at all right now:

(not that this would have a direct effect on a tourist, but the rethoric from both sides is bad vibes indeed).

Jul 11, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Who has the right to dictate Iran's national security interests?

Jul 11, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

if my predictions are right and mccain bush steal the election again(and again) with the help of the media(and maybe the supreme courts) witch looks like what is happening now i think it would be a better time to visit as soon as possible.

Jul 11, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

emilio, did you read about the photoshopping that went on with that image?
[url=
ny]http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/in-an-iranian-image-a-missile-too-many/index.html?scp=1&sq=iran%20missile&st=cse]ny times[/url]

Jul 11, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

man, that's totally fucked up...

i bet our lovely administration paid the photographer to do that...gotta get ready for that invasion...

Jul 11, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: