Archinect
anchor

EU license

pressburg

I was wondering, if an architect (US BArch degree & licensed) working in US wants to be a licensed architect in a EU country, say for example Switzerland (ok they're not in the EU, but swiss have a license recirpocity with EU) - would it be faster to simply go back to school and receive advanced standing and simply do the Master's (2 years) and finish with an EU recognized degree? As opposed going through all of the trasnferring of license bureaucracy? It seems that a lot of EU schools have the B. Arch. (three-year degree) and then M. Arch. (2 year-degree). Maybe this would be faster?

Any opinions on this?

Jun 28, 08 3:40 pm
usernametaken

I'm not quite sure if there is a universal rule for this - the best thing would be to contact the licensing institutes of the respective countries - but I'm guessing that problems will arise since it is pretty much impossible in many European countries to become licensed with only a bachelor...

Jun 29, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Not to mention that you need in several countries experience before becoming an architect...

Jun 30, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I want to do this too and am a EU citizen licensed in a US state. So if my firm transfers me the the Antwerp or the Paris office how long do you need to work?

Jun 30, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
pressburg

see, all i was saying is that i would do the last 2 year phase of the ET Hprogramme because I could potentially get an advanced standing because of my 5 year BArch degree and just complete the last 2 year finishing with a master's of archietcture and having the EU education to fullfil the education requirement for an EU license.
Antisthenes, I think what I'm going to do first though is write to architectural registration board of switzerland, italy and austria and see how they recognize a north american 5 year degree and license. I am a EU citizen as well. I've heard of cases where my greek friend got her Barch and had her education accredited in greece thereby having EU approved education (as part of that Bologna process) and then had RIBA recognize her greek license and now she's on her way to becoming licensing in UK. I think the best thing to do is have the country of you EU citizenship recognize your degree.

Jun 30, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I C good luck, let me know what you find out. I will contact Belgium as you advise. I hope to revolutionize and introduce a new 'brick'

Jul 1, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: