Archinect
anchor

Inches or millimeters?

MaarjaW

Hi, 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I graduated my BA architecture recently and moved to the US shortly after. I just wanted to ask do architects in here use inches or metric system when using CAD? Thanks

Jul 11, 13 8:40 pm
accesskb

xD  you need to know both.  Depending on the firm, you could use either metric or imperial,  although it seems like most firms are doing work in metric these day.  However, you'll almost always have to deal with both because different trades and suppliers manufacture or work according to how they've done it in the past

Jul 11, 13 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

I think it also depends a lot of what systems you have on the specific project and what the modular dimensions are. I have been trying to work with american standard sizes for metal studs (3 5/8 inches, etc). in meters... it is horrible. 

Jul 11, 13 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

regarding cad: just know how to scale/convert your files depending on where you're working or where your project is. In short - be flexible. Inches for a stateside project, metric otherwise.

most of my recent projects have in in Europe, but im in the states. Every sub is different as to what the base unit is (cm or mm, etc) - makes coordination a slight pain. but if its expected........its fine.

Jul 12, 13 7:48 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Everything in the US is feet + inches.
Jul 13, 13 8:25 am  · 
1  · 
Thecyclist
Uh, I tend to measure mine in inches
Jul 13, 13 12:16 pm  · 
1  · 
boy in a well

using centimeters is better than shaving your pubes.

Jul 13, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
MikeJarosz

When you say inches, do you mean "English Imperial weights and measures"? In the US, feet and inches are the standard for projects built in the US. If you are in a US firm doing work outside the US, you will use metric. They are not interchangeable. Thinking in metric on a US project will get you into trouble. Standards are different. A 3'-0" door is a US standard. In metric it would be 900mm. 3 feet does not convert to 900mm. I have worked around the US and the World. I understand both systems. People from other countries can't understand why we have this system. People from the US wonder why you speak a different language. The answer to both questions is the same: it's part of our heritage. I will use metric when France speaks English. 

Regarding units in AutoCAD: the way they implemented units is the craziest mixed-up mess conceivable. Do not learn ANYTHING about units from ACAD. Revit does units right. Learn from them. An object does not change size when measured in different units. Are you taller in metric than inches?

Jul 19, 13 5:38 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i've started working in inchimeters. 10 inchimeters = 1 foot. makes everything easier.

Jul 21, 20 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

as yes, decimal inches. a fair compromise.

Jul 21, 20 9:50 am  · 
 · 

I use furlongs for measurements in all my projects.

Jul 21, 20 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

chains also work.  10 chains to a furlong is what I always say.

Jul 21, 20 10:29 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

I like dimensioning in cubits. (And nautical miles for large site plans.)

Jul 21, 20 12:16 pm  · 
1  · 
MikeJarosz

The US officially uses feet and inches for linear measurements. Metric measurements are not an option. If you design in metric and dimension with metric, most US contractors will throw your drawings back at you or at least refuse to to bid on them. You drew all your doors at 900mm. The contractor says "Where do you expect me to get 900mm doors?" The US standard is 36 inches, which is 914mm. Your question is the equivalent of visiting France and complaining that everybody there speaks French. Your argument completely ignores the fact that the construction industry uses manufactured products like doors, windows, bricks, 2x4s, ceiling tiles, etc etc. All are manufactured in US units. They can be expressed in metric units, but they do not convert to round numbers like 2x4.or 4x8. Of course, you could avoid the problem completely by making 914.4mm  doors. They will work perfectly in the US. 

Isn't that just the reverse of what you are asking us to do?

Jul 21, 20 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Grampa, join the current century will ya? Most of the world has converter to metric because of obvious reasons and plenty in the US will draft, and build, to either format. Also, no one would spec a 900mm door and expect it to be standard.

Jul 21, 20 10:58 am  · 
1  ·  1
JLC-1

I did this for a brazilian client some years back, it's not that hard to setup

Jul 21, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Ewwww, AutoCAD. ;)

Jul 21, 20 11:56 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

yes son, autocad, since 1991.

Jul 21, 20 12:25 pm  · 
1  · 

Ewwww, you're a gross old man! 8-)

Jul 21, 20 3:26 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

So true

Jul 21, 20 12:03 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

or there is this

Jul 21, 20 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Are you dimensioning your drawings in 1/63,360ths of a mile? Seems weird, but okay.

Jul 21, 20 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

gwarton, some in my office seem to think 3/64th is an ok dim... so why not?

Jul 21, 20 12:48 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I've seen manually entered dimensions to the 256th. It's awesome. Especially when it's ground-up new construction.

Jul 21, 20 6:19 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Already the comparison inches or millimeters is off and shows the epic failure that is the imperial system, as an inch is over 25 times the size of a millimeter, not very precise and it shows...

Jul 21, 20 3:16 pm  · 
1  ·  1
SneakyPete

*looks at tolerances possible in (current) construction methods*

Jul 21, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

it's much more precise and less likely to screw up if you can simply put your dimensions in normal mm instead of 1/xx part of an inch, an inch of which twelve go in one foot. Twelve, like wtf? You not only need to read the measurement but are forced to do calculus too, just for looking at a drawing!!1!

Jul 21, 20 3:45 pm  · 
SneakyPete

I'm not pushing an agenda, just suggesting that precision below an inch is stretching it in most trades regardless of the unit.

Jul 21, 20 4:11 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

That's probably true

Jul 21, 20 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Obligatory:

from the oatmeal

Jul 21, 20 4:09 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Seems sound... but rather patriarchical-ish, no?

Jul 21, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

I will always thumbs up a The Oatmeal comic

Jul 21, 20 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Never knew that's where an inch came from . . .

Jul 21, 20 6:35 pm  · 
2  · 
spickney2000

I´ve been lucky to visit the US on many occasions and haven´t found it too problamatic as I never worked there.  It´s easier being a Brit as although everything is metric, being part of Europe (for a little longer), there are still imperial units used by the older generation in the UK, for example traffic distances are in both imperial and metric...

Personally I prefer to use metric, I find it is more precise.

Jul 22, 20 11:20 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Precision is useful when measuring. Less useful when you have full control over the design from the start. If your design needs decimals beyond a centimeter and is also new construction, you might be doing something questionable. Also interesting note, chrome feels that the word centimeter is spelled wrong. Suggestions include centimetre, centime, and cementer.

Jul 22, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

only americans spell it centimeter.  The correct way is centimetre.

Jul 22, 20 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Correct outside of the US, you mean, right? Being such a lover of precision.

Jul 22, 20 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

When it comes to English spelling, the US is never on the right side of the debate. 8-)

Jul 22, 20 1:22 pm  · 
SneakyPete

Countries get to set their own languages and spelling. There is no debate.

Jul 22, 20 1:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Merica always has to be different....centimetre (international spelling) or centimeter (American spelling)

Jul 22, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wasn't my decision, but the least you can do is respect it, eh?

Jul 22, 20 1:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, do you start adding extra Us when you travel to your northern neighbour?

Jul 22, 20 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

No, but I also don't expect you to spell things differently on this forum. Just respect the fact that there are multiple ways to spell centimeter.

Jul 22, 20 1:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

but but... I want conflict. can we at least agree that night is better than nite (and all other variations of this)?

Jul 22, 20 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Yes.

Jul 22, 20 2:28 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Well, d'uh! Inches are obviously more better because an inch is way bigger than a millimetre. Sheesh, do I really have to explain this stuff?

Jul 22, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've always wondered, why millimetres & not centimetres?

Jul 22, 20 1:18 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

because mm avoids the use of punctuation which could be overlooked or confused for something else. Using cm will often get you 0.5mm. So either have your dims round up/down (roundin' dims bad m'kay... ) or use mm and show the full length.

Jul 22, 20 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I did not follow that at all. Can you rewrite it?

Jul 22, 20 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Serious request, not snark or a trap .

Jul 22, 20 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, if you use cm, then you have dims like 210.5  

The decimal separator (period or comma) is something that can easily disappear during photocopying or site markups. Using mm prevents this.  

Jul 22, 20 2:31 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

That makes sense.

Jul 22, 20 2:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, sometimes I make sense. I typically try not to make sense too often tho...

Jul 22, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I assume you'd prefer Loonies?

Jul 22, 20 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Vis-a-vis the separator, there is also the problem that North Americans use dots and commas exactly opposite the way the rest of the world does.

Jul 22, 20 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

*looks at the end of your sentence*

Jul 22, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That's a benefit of fractions.

Jul 22, 20 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

the "whole number" justification makes sense though. Thanks. That said, I'd assume your mm dimensions always end in 0 or 5. Anything more precise than that as laughable as tossing a 5/64" on a plan.

Jul 22, 20 3:32 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

^ all my dims end in 0 or 5 unless it's material thickness as shown in the 1:5 or 1:2 scale drawings or if it's a hard imp to met conversion like 5' mullion c/l is 1524mm.

Jul 22, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I actually prefer twoonies as they are twice as colourful

Jul 22, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

whole numbers

but then metres for site plans

Jul 22, 20 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
square.

all units matter

Jul 22, 20 3:30 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: