Archinect
anchor

Digi-Fab in Washington DC?

Hey all,

Does anyone know any design firms in the DC area that use, are interested in, or specialize in digital fabrication? I have been searching for a job for a while, and can't find much. I know there are some fab shops around, but they are strictly on the manufacturing side. I want to be on the design side, with some fabrication/prototyping. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jun 5, 08 10:42 am
med.

A friend of mine at SoM in DC says that they do it.

But it costs a lot of money so they won't allow a bunch of interns to screw around with the machine unless they know what they're doing and what the output will be.

Jun 5, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

contact someone at Catholic University, they would probably be in the know since they have the digifab specialization and should/would have those connections.

Jun 5, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

GWB,
Thanks for the input, I had emailed and called SOM a bunch of times over the past few months, and it appears they are not hiring. Can you email me your friends contact info, or have him email me ([email protected]). I would appreciate it greatly. If I could get an in, to get an interview, it would help a lot. I understand SOM's fear of an intern messing up the machines (what do they use- laser cutters?). I have xperience around them. I was the TA for the laser cutter and CNC milling machine in college, and worked the past year at a fabrication shop (CNC routers, mills, and water-jets).

Pixelwhore,
Thanks for your help too. I am a product of CUA. I graduated from there with my BS.Arch and M.Arch with a concentration in Digital Fabrication. I have exhausted all the leads my professors and classmates have known.

Anyone else have suggestions? I just got an offer at a great firm, however they are not interested in digi-fab, which is something I would like to pursue.

Jun 5, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I have no idea what SoM's staffing situation is. But I know that they always have an abundance of work and it means that they are always hiring. Why they haven't called you back, who knows. There are hundreds of other firms in just the DC area alone to consider though.

Just to let you know SoM is one of those kinds of firms that have the luxury to pick and choose who they want to hire from a wide pool of extremely qualified employees. My friend is nothing more than a rookie there so I'm sure he doesn't have any pull on who gets hired there.

Good luck.

Jun 5, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Understandable, thanks anyways.

Jun 5, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
med.

No worries. And I don't want you to get me wrong at all. I'm sure there are plenty of firms who use that kind of technology that I'm not sure of. I know that we don't have one.

But you are doing the right thing by asking.

Jun 5, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

move out of DC for greener pastures?

Jun 5, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Ultimately that is the plan. My girlfriend has another year of school, and then off to NYC or Cali- that is unless I find the right place here in DC.

Jun 5, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: