Archinect
anchor

Portfolio content and page length

Kai

I remember there being a bunch of threads about portfolios and the like on the old archinect, so I'm sure some of this is redundant, but I'd like some advice on how much to include in my portfolio for applying for M.Arch. I'm an art major so I don't have any specific architecture projects which I assume will be ok
right now I've got 2 large graphite drawings (2 pages)
one large doublespread watercolor (2 pages)
a 6 piece series of sketches of nudes (2 pages)
a multi piece multi use bookshelf I designed and also showing the entire design process (4 pages)
an installation sculpture piece and design process (4 pages)

so total of 14 pages

is this enough? not enough? should I put in some different types of projects? some more painting and drawing?
thanks a lot for your help, I'll post it up so I can get some critique on it as soon as I fine tune it a bit more.

Sep 19, 04 2:43 am
trace™

Seems reasonable, if a tad on the light side. Doesn't matter, though, if the content is good. I think it was Berkeley that had something like a 15-16 page max, and that's what I ended up making everything.

Many years ago, though.

Sep 19, 04 10:29 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

There are some schools with a 10 page or 12 page limit to portfolios. Is this only to curb the amount of people sending 30 page ports? If I send a fourteen page portfolio to UPenn, after their reqs state no more than 10 pages, the admissions people will flip through so fast that they probably wont take in all my projects let alone if it was 4 pages over...correct? What say you on page limits for grad schools?

Nov 10, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Kai, if i remember right can't you just fake the whole thing anyway?

And yes, there is a whole host of portfolio threads out there, did you bother searching at all?

As to excessive length, my roomate/friend made what could be referred to as a tome (esp/at least by port standards), i think upwards of 50. The thing was gorgeous, i wanted a copy for my library. accepted everywhere he applied, rice, some ivy's, and even the infamous 10pg limit requirement of upenn.

Nov 11, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: