Archinect
anchor

Rammed Earth Workshops?

Janosh

Has anyone participated in either David Easton (www.rammedearthworks.com) or Quentin Branch's (http://www.rammedearthhomes.com) workshops? I'm looking to get me some edumucation and would be curious to hear feedback from other folks that know these two dudes.

Jun 1, 08 2:29 pm
holz.box

dude, just grab some clay, concrete and water and start experimenting

Jun 1, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

some hippie on Saltspring island in British Columbia does a few, not a bad place to spend a week either.

Jun 1, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Holz - I got no land, and my 2nd story apartment is an imperfect laboratory for experimenting with mud construction.

Jun 1, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Anyone with experience with either of these two guys?

Jun 1, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Man,
I love me some rammed earth.
Have you seen the recent Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Centre by Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects (Vancouver, BC)
RAIC 2008 Award winner.

link

I recently came across this website also...
http://rammedearth.blogspot.com/

Jun 1, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the hotson bakker project is really nice. really really nice.

Jun 1, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

we had Quentin working with us a few years back on a custom home...
(in Vegas) long story short, the owners and the construction schedule (ie... typical custom start-stop-hurry-wait) didn't suite an out of town sub but he educated the general contractor well and left on good terms...

when ever that G.C. talks rammed earth with us now he jokes... "hold on, let me go get my sandals on"... (guess its funny if you are there)

good luck Janosh, rammed earth can really be special... how are you thinking of using it?

Jun 1, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Thanks Sayyes - having been around adobe for a while I know exactly what you are saying about the sandals. But the cool thing about the earthbuilding community is it allows for people that love so-called toxin free construction to come together with those who are looking for superior resistance against small arms fire.

I'm in the planning stages of building my own hybrid rammed earth-adobe-tent dwelling out in the hinterlands of Southern California. I'm kind of using it as a test case, so I'm looking to get some hands on experience with RE before I start experimenting on myself. Probably the idea is to create some RE site walls, and then a portion of the main building out of rammed earth to about 48" with adobe to complete the full height wall. Roofs will probably be of a double membrane - material TBD.

Jun 1, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz

I will be in Seattle this weekend again. Lets ram some earth...or at least drink some brews

Jun 1, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Janosh,
This passage from your posting is brilliant!

"But the cool thing about the earthbuilding community is it allows for people that love so-called toxin free construction to come together with those who are looking for superior resistance against small arms fire."

Jun 2, 08 7:59 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mdler....you ram earth you slam beers!

Jun 2, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
bottronix

The failings of Auburn University's Rural Studio? Too humid? Cracked to shit?

Jun 4, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Huh?

Jun 4, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

her nickname was "earth"

Jun 5, 08 12:27 am  · 
 · 
earth architecture

Please take a look at the website http://www.eartharchitecture.org -- check the events sections for upcoming earth architecture events and pre-order the book if you are interested (gratuitous plug)!

p.s. Quentin Branch is a very talented guy and a great teacher (former math teacher i believe).

Jun 5, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
vtarchitect

If rammed earth / adobe / cob / Compressed earth is what you are looking for in your projects.. I would be more than happy to help.. I am not an expert on the subject... but sure can build like I give a damn! 

Eager to get my hands dirty again.. now in the Americas till Dec 2011!!!

http://archinect.com/people/project/5771587/prakruthi-an-affordable-home/5773997

Jun 2, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: