Archinect
anchor

DWG of City Maps

MOCHASandMACS

Does anyone know of any websites that have free - dwg files of various city maps? Im working on compiling a library of studies of different city plans to reference for future planning projects.
I'm not looking for any city in particular I have Baltimore and Philadelphia. Thanks!

May 29, 08 2:29 pm
binary

i'll give you downtown detroit for 40,000usd

May 29, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

Boston can be found here:

Boston Redevelopment Authority

May 29, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, I want Baltimore!

May 29, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

why not look for google earth .kml files and translate to dwg?

what about .shp files? they can be found for tons of geographical areas if you look for them. some apps can import .shp files too...

May 29, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

google earth is only so accurate...

i know when i was working on my detroit map, i found alot of buildings not right and random things in the mix.....hmmm.....

etc.etc.etc.

May 29, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
badalian

i can use one for Los Angeles :)

Jun 1, 08 5:07 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

But is DWG realy the right thing ? These maps are all images 2D things that like any .Jpg can be placed on a plane , the only use are 2D or an un scaled anchor to use in programs such as sketchup.
-------- It allway's been like that ever since AutoCAD with ver.9 I think it was, offered the oppotunity to import 2D graphics , and these Google maps are isometric's atleast they are not 3D , so why not use them in a program that atleast make use of them ?

Jun 1, 08 5:31 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Eh , -- just remember ,that with the very first image import options in AutoCAD, when you exploded such an object, then it became a mosaik of small square boxes that could be added various Z values ; atleast then it made sense, as you could place something in the picture and scale from that, then explode the intire image into faces that could be changed into boxes made from closed polylines, that mean you could end up with a real 3D thing -- rough but 3D.
Can you do that today ?

Jun 1, 08 5:36 am  · 
 · 
vbadami

Hi, is anyone willing to share an auto-cad file of Detroit? I am working on my undergraduate thesis this semester and I would appreciate any assistance! 

Please let me know! 

Nov 20, 12 11:04 am  · 
 · 
dorafel

@ MOCHASandMACS

Hi! You mentioned all those years ago that you have a map of Philadelphia. did you succeed in creating the library of city cad maps? I need a map of Philadelphia for my studio project, so if anyone has it, it is most welcome! Thanks!

Jul 17, 13 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: