Archinect
anchor

Considering moving to Bilbao, Spain

janelleschi

I am a Los Angeles architect who is seriously considering permanently relocating to Bilbao, Spain. I am looking for resources and information on how best to do this. I am licensed in California, have 8 years experience, and am learning to speak Spanish. I've heard opportunities and salaries for architects in Spain are quite good.

Does anyone know of a directory of Spanish architecture firms... something like Architect specifically for Spain? I would like to send my resume / portfolio to several Bilbao firms to get a sense of things before making the jump. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jan

May 18, 08 4:55 pm
keopi

the only thing I know about is this:
http://www.archiplanet.org/wiki/Category:Architecture_Firms_in_Spain
but it doesn't list any bilbao firms.
you do realize bilbao is in basque country though, right? People still know spanish of course but it's not prime spanish-learning district.
buena suerte :)

May 18, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Misen

I've heard that Spain won't accept architects (for work visa?) because they have plenty. Didn't plan on working in Spain so I just kind of let it in one ear and out the other, but maybe look into this?

May 18, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I am getting a bit depressed that every new person I meet in Barcelona is an architect...

May 19, 08 7:18 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

Jan,

you might want to check el colegio oficial de arquitectos vasco-navarro (the official college of architects for the basque country and navarra). maybe send them an email for help to expand your search.

http://www.coavn.org/coavn/jsp/portal/bienvenido.jsp

if you are set on this area of spain, but aren't ruling out other cities, you may want to also check out other places in the basque country like vitoria and also the community of navarra (pamplona, etc)...

the big names are in barcelona or madrid but if you dig deep enough you might be able to find an opportunity. bilbao and its surroundings are beautiful.

good luck

May 20, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Wouldn't you want to go visit for a few months first, and check things out?

May 20, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: