Archinect
anchor

6 months in blighty - what would you do?

Never odd or even

I'm an expat Brit going to England to bank some sterling before returning to the states in October to pursue an M.Arch.

What do you think would be the best skills to acquire during this time that would help me to hit the ground running in October?

Background: Worked in LA for 5 years in residential construction, landscaping, admin, fitness training and customer service but haven't been near 2D/3D programs or paid design work since graduation in 97 (BA Hons Theatre Design from CSM in London)

- Should becoming proficient with the software be the focus to enhance my employability?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Apr 22, 08 3:44 pm
iamsam

i can't speak to employability, but to get through school it would be to your benefit to learn some of the newer programs out there. you'll need to know a 3d program.

Apr 22, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Don't bank Sterling, bank Euro

Apr 23, 08 7:17 am  · 
 · 
oziman

Hey buddy,

Im currently a student studying for a RIBA Part 1 and i would say that you would need to dust off Photoshop, Google Sketch-up (free online) and then AutoCAD, or maybe other drawing packages such as ArchiCAD or VectorWorks, and even Revit, 3D StudioMAX etc. but as you probably know more then I, AutoCAD is the indurstry standard really.

How was the transistion between studying in the UK and then moving to the States? I have been interested in working in the US particularly California for a few years, when i graduate i will be 26 and look to move about and see abit of the world. Have you any advice on that?

Cheers

Ozzie

Apr 23, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
oziman

Also Rhino or however its spelt...

Apr 23, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Never odd or even

Thanks again. My transition was rough but worth it. Feel free to email me.

Apr 23, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Never odd or even

re. Moving around and seeing a bit of the world... pick a place, buy a ticket and go it's that easy - I heard about an international 'couch surfing' network website on public radio the other day - it might be worth looking at, that way at least you'll have somewhere to sleep at your destination. Don't plan too much - all you need to travel is cash.

Apr 23, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: