Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Entasis79

Oh, Andreas...you are correct. I read it too fast.

Feb 9, 09 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

hobopajamas - That one email is the only contact I've had from them. I imagine it will take a few weeks to generate the official acceptance. I'll let you know if I get it.

n400 - Well, I cast a wide net coast-to-coast. I chose programs that struck me as a good balance between theoretical and technical, and had some faculty expertise in digital design, green building, and/or design-build (oh, and schools I had some faint chance of affording...) I ended up with:
U of Oregon, UT Austin, U of Washington, ASU, Georgia Tech, CU Denver, and Univ of Kansas (total of 7).

So I'm still waiting on quite a few (actually still have to send off 2 apps!)

Did anybody else applying to UT (first professional) *not* get an "everything received" email?

Feb 10, 09 12:32 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

Me!

Feb 10, 09 8:21 am  · 
 · 
andimdone

no email for me either, but all my stuff shows up as received on the UT EID.

Feb 10, 09 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Just got an acceptance letter in the mail today from the School of Art Institute of Chicago. I went to a prospective students lecture in LA and it seemed like their art programs overshadow their architecture program, but i'll be able to make a better judgement with a campus visit soon. One down, five to go...

Feb 11, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Wow congratulations!

Feb 11, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Congrats!
Is everyone else obsessively checking gradcafe? argh!

Feb 11, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Yesterday I was. I found the earliest recorded acceptance, waitlist, and rejection responses posted on GradCafe and Archinect for all the schools I applied to and put them into my calender. Based on that info I have until March to expect anything--but that hasn't helped me forgot about it.

Feb 11, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

GiantClam - care to share?

Feb 11, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Sure... hang on a sec....

Feb 11, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

GiantClam: the calendar is a good idea. I looked them up for last year also...realizing that at the earliest, i would be hearing in the first week of March. As for the forgetting, I'm thinking large quantities of alcohol until March.

Feb 11, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam
Feb 11, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Hmm... that didnt work... I'll give it another try later.... or else I'll just post my data as a list.

Feb 11, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

That would be great. Thanks...
or shoot an email!

Feb 11, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Will do, I'll be in touch later somehow.

Feb 11, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam
Feb 11, 09 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

Geez, the suspense is starting to get intolerable. Is there some way to amend your application somehow, like request an interview or give additional information? I need to do something!

Feb 11, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

sorry for all these blank posts. anyone know how to make an image display properly? I'm trying to post an image from my picasa account...

Feb 11, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

oh damn. I wish i didn't know what i know now. I just looked for UBC on gradcafe and the acceptances were received Feb 21 & 27 and the rejections were from March 19 & 24.

I am now having a mini panic attack.

So, if I don't hear by the end of the month, I will assume that i'm not getting in. Argh. Ignorance is BLISS :(

btw. ocotillo... just let it go. Don't send them any requests or additional info. Just breath!

Feb 11, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

sorry GC i know nothing about images.

does anyone know if there is a canadian equivalent to gradcafe. maybe if i have more results than 5, i can feel a bit calmer?

Feb 11, 09 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

I've taken up yoga to try to relieve the god awful anxiety.

Feb 11, 09 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

Yeah, I've been working out. Seems to be a distraction from drinking, though.
Thanks for the restraint, lesov.

Feb 11, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

width = 410

Feb 11, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

I'm working out, doing yoga AND drinking. I was fine until today, bah!

Feb 11, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

HA! Here goes another attempt at my calender:

Feb 11, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Ok fine. I cant solve this problem right now. Here's a list of important dates for the 8 schools I applied to, I'm noting the first instances of each type of response:

March 10
UCLA accpt. '08, postal mail
Yale accpt. '08, phone call

March 11
GSD accpt. '08, postal mail and email

March 12
RISD accpt. '08, phone call

March 13
Columbia accpt. '08, online status check
Pratt accpt. '08 (method unknown)

March 15
Yale waitlist '08, postal mail

March 18
Pratt accpt '08, email
RISD rejection '08, mail and email
UCLA rejection '08, online status check and email

March 20
Pratt waitlist '08 (method unknown)

March 21
UC Berkeley accpt. '08, email

March 22
Yale rejection '08, postal mail

March 25
GSD waitlist '08 (method unknown)

March 26
GSD rejection '08, postal mail
Columbia waitlist '08, email

March 27
UC Berkeley rejection '08, email

March 29
Columbia rejection '08, online status check

March 31
SCI-Arc '09 - all letters in mail (so they say... they were super late last year)

April 1
Pratt '09 - all letters in mail (again... so they say...)

April 7
SCI-Arc accpt '08, email

April 8
SCI-Arc waitlist '08, email

Feb 11, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

{img}http://picasaweb.google.com/gabriellepatawaran/BeastReality#5301643042146769362{/img}

Feb 11, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

hahahah; your determination is really quite admirable ;)

Feb 11, 09 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

thanks! but i give up now-should probably find that garage door spec my boss asked for...

Feb 11, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

So I answered my own question about posting images by finding this thread:

How to post an image or pdf

They've covered many many format related questions, in case anyone else is wondering.

(Since I already typed all those dates I'm not going to bother posting an image that will be less useful to you than what's above.)

Feb 11, 09 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
ZeroPulse

If you do a search on Grad Cafe for architecture, it should show you a list of what people have posted all the way back to 2006.
From what I gather, the majority of acceptance email/letter/phone call were sent/made during the first two week of March. The rejection waves were made towards the end of March and waitlist acceptance early April.
I take it everyone is extremely nervous as we move closer towards the end of Feb since people are starting to hear back already.
Let hope we all get accepted to one or two of our top choice and not have to fall back on the safety school.

Feb 11, 09 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Thanks GC!
Ah...to add to the calendar, should anyone have applied to Parsons...last year, the first acceptance was posted March 3 via phone/email.

Feb 11, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
n400

how do you all work out rather than drink and read books? i don't want to be so lazy all the time.

which exercises are easiest to do while reading books? this is a serious question. i want to feel the burn without getting bored. exercise is too boring for me. i'm not approaching it the right way.

Feb 12, 09 12:35 am  · 
 · 
n400

and i don't want to have to spend money to join a gym to use a treadmill. i'm wondering if anyone has good advice on aerobic exercises that are conducive to reading a book. maybe this is a stupid question and you can file it under the "honest questions from half-retards category"

Feb 12, 09 12:40 am  · 
 · 
di-c

just like everyone, I'm starting to get antsy about acceptances/rejection notices. but a part of me is really trying to accept the fact that because of the most annoying deluge of applications this year, schools may be in contact a little later than last year. I mean...MIT said that they JUST started to review the applications! o_O; let's not get our hopes up and start going insane TOO soon! haha

Feb 12, 09 3:01 am  · 
 · 
n400

OK I'm going to the gym tonight

Feb 12, 09 8:58 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

jillian michael's 30 day shread!
i alternate between this and elliptical + crunches and weights.
the 30 day shread video is an intense workout and only 22 minutes long; you'd be hard pressed to be bored as it's back-to-back-to-back-to-back exercises.

Feb 12, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
ocotillo

n400, try the recumbent bike at the gym. very easy to read and ride, and 30 minutes goes by like nothing.

fyi, an MArch 1 at Cornell told me two days ago that the committee hadn't looked at portfolios yet, but that they would be doing it soon. for what it's worth.

Feb 12, 09 9:54 am  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

n400 - definitely the elliptical...you can work out and read, just make sure you're sober because if you're reading your not holding on.

Feb 12, 09 11:42 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

try bikram yoga!

Feb 12, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
kaywris

i just had a panic attack looking at those dates. yoga it is.

Feb 12, 09 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Yoga is great cause they try to teach you to focus on 'the moment' and you always end with a relaxation session. Right now, for me, it's the best stress/anxiety reliever. Usually by the end I'm either not thinking about apps or I am but I'm thinking very positively. No amount of alcohol (or drugs or video games or ...) can do that for me these days!

n400 I think yoga is intense enough that your mind won't wander much, but I 2nd the recommendation to read on a stationary bike if that's more your thing.

Feb 12, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

LOVE bikram. especially the bow pose! if you like to sweat...

Feb 12, 09 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
n400

I really like yoga and stretching and used to do it when I was a kid. Now, I have this weird condition of the connective tissue, so my joints are sensitive and it's easy for me to overstretch without realizing it. bikram is... not for me. i need the yoga for the old and disabled.

I finally realized that my building has a gym downstairs. I will go there to finish my book after work, on the bike.

Feb 12, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

I know, it's just the best thing ever created in this world. I am waiting for a reply as well. I applied in 2004 to 12 schools (i think) got accepted to 3 - University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign, Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I decided to decline to all due to the high tuition. I am trying again as a married woman now, more at stake such as time constraint, etc. so I re-strategized and applied to ONE school - my state school, N.J.I.T. to get in-state tuition if not a full ride. I've submitted everything early this week. I'm freaking out because I didn't anticipate this much surge on m.arch applicants. I'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to more schools! However, I haven't come across anything on this thread who's mentioned that school......so maybe I'll be as safe as I can be. Ugh, the waiting period begins again.....

Feb 12, 09 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

oops i meant anyONE.

Feb 12, 09 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

di-c, I think you're right about schools potentially replying even later this year.

something frustrating me is having friends/relatives who applied for non-arch. masters programs, because they are hearing back already. like, my bro sent an app. in Jan 20 and heard back a week ago. so i think its effecting my perception, i feel like i should be hearing back now, when all evidence is contrary. oh and not to mention that less informed friends and family think, 'if so and so already heard from their grad school, why havent you?' and realizing they're thinking I must not have gotten in. so that is super fun.

anybody else in this boat?

Feb 12, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

Same here clam. A friend just heard back from his schools for a masters in italian. He has a free ride to a school he likes. I'm soooo happy for him.

Feb 12, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

yeah dude

my cousin just heard back that he got into Harvard Business School. (wtf!)

So obviously the rest of my family wants to know what my deal is.

sigh.

Feb 12, 09 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
lesov

and it's always fun when the handful of people you've told at work ask you if you've heard anything every time you run into them at the coffee machine. 3 times a day. seriously? ya I got in, but forgot to mention it. arg.

Feb 12, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: