Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Jola

http://archrecord.construction.com/features/EducationChart/EducationChart_AL.asp#a

it's from 2002-2003 but it might still have some relevance

Dec 29, 08 2:07 am  · 
 · 
alarisch

di-c:
is the name of your undergrad school on the portfolio cover a req. of where you're applying or a general 'good practice' item? i just have my name and the word 'portfolio' on my cover for now, and i have seen many others like this.

Dec 29, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

di-c and landshark--
That info is much appreciated. It's always good to know your chances.

Dec 29, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

For the GSAPP, is anyone getting an incomplete status for things they submitted?

Both my portfolio and GRE scores are listed as not received which doesn't make much since. I guess I'll call them tomorrow, but still this is making me uneasy :(

Dec 29, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

puckman: check requirements of schools, i think gsd n gsapp require it...

Dec 29, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

from the GSD grads I know, ZERO have had there name on each page. As far as I know, not necessary.

Dec 29, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

hey everyone.. ive been lurking here for quite some time now but it's my first time to post here. just want to say good luck to everyone applying for masters! i am also applying for MSAUD at pratt and gsapp. i'm still working on my portfolio and essays but i'm almost done. thanks for all the advice/tips you guys said!

Dec 29, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

Puckman: I know at least the GSD required previous school's name on the cover. eh, I hope this stupid mistake doesn't cost me.

NotanArchitect: My GSAPP status is incomplete as well. I had sent in my GRE scores in JUNE, and they say they still don't have it. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow as well!

Dec 30, 08 2:08 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

di-c - could you please post a link to that requirement.

From the website:

"Portfolio. Applicants to degree programs other than the Master in Urban Planning program must submit a portfolio that includes their most important and representative design work. Master in Urban Planning applicants do not need to submit a portfolio. The portfolio for Master in Design Studies and Doctor of Design applicants should consist of scholarly, academic and/or professional work and may or may not include visual material, at the discretion of the applicant, and as related to the proposed research area. Special students may also be required to submit portfolios."

Nothing there about previous school's name.

Dec 30, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/admissions/applying/2009%20App%20Instructions.pdf

"The front of the portfolio must have the applicant’s name, the college or university from which he or she received the bachelor’s and/or master’s degree, and the degree program to which he or she is applying. In addition, the applicant’s name, date of project, and a statement of whether the project was academic, office-related, or personal should be included on each page. In the case of collaborative work, the contribution by the applicant must be described precisely."

Dec 30, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
di-c

Yeah, that's the bit right there posted by freezingtimbers. I would bet that a good number of people missed this, since it was sort of buried in the sea of admissions info. But if it was that important, don't you think they would have emphasized by putting it on the webpage itself?

Dec 30, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
di-c

Oh and if anyone's in the same boat as me (Columbia missing my GRE scores): I just called them and they said since I sent my scores in before August (when their whole app. process officially began) they were not careful in keeping them on record and they got lost or something obscure like that. so I was told to resend the scores.

argh! penalized for being prepared.

So anyway, i'd give them a ring if you're like me.

Dec 30, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Ok, well I called GSAPP to tell them my portfolio is listed as not submitted on the site. They said they're still going through a ton of mail, so I think things are just a little slow to get up. I checked my express mail tracking number and sure enough it was signed for by someone at Avery hall so I at least have proof the ball's in their court.

Dec 30, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

Anyone paid the application fee to YSOA?
Ridiculous that they only accept money orders.

Does anyone here happen to know if a money transfer with Western Union is ok to use?

Dec 30, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

..or will a "pay the application fee" option appear when I'm submitting the online application?

Dec 30, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

don't they accept check too?

Dec 31, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 
nickthegreek

i sent a check and it was ok....but i submitted a paper application...so i dunno about online applications....

happy new year to everyone!

Dec 31, 08 5:10 am  · 
 · 
never nude

this probably too late for you, but yale does do credit cards. it's at the end after you submit the app. there's also a handy 'received status' thing afterwards for us to worry over. not sure if mail applicants get this

Jan 2, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

for some reason I can't find a link to Columbia's financial aid form. The admissions page says it should be on the application page, but I can't find it. Anyone else have this problem?

Jan 2, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Yeah for all the Yale discussion, second bullet point on the instructions page:

"A nonrefundable application fee of $85 payable to Yale University by debit card, credit card, or check on-line; it cannot be waived."

Also, anyone get an email from the GSD saying they got your application and look forward to reviewing it? Does that mean they got everything? Hopefully?

Jan 2, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

Yeah, I just saw that on the Yale website. I swear it wasn't there when I looked a week ago.

Jan 2, 09 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

jhooper, login to the online application website, then click on "application for admission". you should see the link on the left side menu bar, "downloadable forms".

Jan 3, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

got it, thanks jaymo, i was thinking it would be something online

Jan 3, 09 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

hey guys, just a quick question about essays... when they say "approximately 500 words", does that mean i could go a little less or more than that? or i have to stay at 500 max and can go a little less? coz i've written 511. kinda sounds pathetic to ask but i just want to make sure. thanks! btw its for columbia.

Jan 4, 09 2:27 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

i would imagine as far as something like 600 is fine, there not going to count the essay...

i just watched film 21 last night, and the movie starts and finishes with the issue of a grad school essay for a scholarship to harvard med. the interviewer describes the candidate as 4.0 gpa ,good mcat score, and excellent academic strength one after another, two excellent references from friends of his and then says everybody applying for this scholarship has a similar resume. then he says it comes down to the essay, you need to dazzle me and jump off the page, talk about life experiences, something nobody else has......

What kind of essays did people write, a normal one listing one's strengths followed by why you should attend their school specifically or did you dazzle! and jump off the page with a life experience.....

Jan 4, 09 5:18 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

My essay is about what I want to do in the field of architecture, and why my background and the school would be a good fit for those pursuits.

To some degree, a mix of life experiences and my strengths.

Jan 4, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
jaymo24

thanks j'aime. well the thread seems to be quiet... wonder why. there's still upcoming deadlines!

well, my essay's more of life experiences and long range goals combined. i think that's what sets you apart from others, as everybody can just mention their strengths and end up having the same essays.

Jan 4, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
n400

Does anyone want to trade letters of intent?

Jan 4, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

Thanks for clarifying the Yale app. fee case for me.

Now to chase my last recommender for his contribution!

Jan 4, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

I have been an Archinecter for awhile now. I am posting my portfolio for review (first time, ouch). Keep in mind I am a non-arch grad applying for m.arch. My portfolio is mainly focused on built work, as I spent the last two years working in a custom woodshop. I have already submitted it (sorry), but feedback is definitely still welcome. Be kind. Good luck to all of you. I understand your anxiety....

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bf8ed69b3fec2416d2db6fb9a8902bda

Jan 5, 09 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

hi all, first time posting here
I just have a silly question to ask.
If you try to re-apply for the same school that you were rejected last year, does that improve your chance of getting in? or not?
If I get rejected this year, I would like to find out all my shortcomings and try again next year.

Jan 5, 09 2:11 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

Here's link to my portfolio that I barely finished by the deadlines...
Very rushed and rough...
Please gentle with comments.

http://www.box.net/shared/sia0691a79

Jan 5, 09 3:03 am  · 
 · 
cartagena7

just tim

Please fix your portfolio link.

Jan 5, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
cartagena7

ssjoebea

Your portfolio is hard to follow, a little disorganized. Too many pages. Disclaimer: I'm a MArch II applicant and am not up to date with MArch I requirements. Just my opnion.

Jan 5, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

sorry i accidentally erased the folder that contains portfolio

http://www.box.net/shared/nh25dtqljy

Jan 5, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

just tim - I like it! Is it for M.arch II?

Jan 5, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

landshark, sorry for not mentioning that. I am applying for M.Arch 1
programs but i feel overwhelmed by high number of applicants this year.. good luck to all of you..

Jan 5, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

::ssjoebear::: How you dealt with text was kind of crazy. If you had the time to redo it, I would advice you to make the text much simpler. Let the images have primacy, not the text.

Jan 5, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

oooh is anyone else having trouble paying the app fee through yale's online app?? after I clink on link "submit payment 85.00 usd" the next window says "To get started, select the requested amounts and quantities for each listing above." but I can't clink on any live link...

please anyone aaaack...

Jan 5, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

noted, thanks kungapa

Jan 5, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
calihoya

New to posting, but in the final days before I complete my portfolio, I need advice!

Applying to MArch III programs (bachelors in psychology and photography), but I have worked in interior design for the last 3 years. That said, I spent the last two years designing virtually an entire (5-star) hotel's interior architecture: all public areas - lobby, restaurant, bar, ballroom, bathrooms, etc; developed all guestroom plans/elevations; construction documentation for the hotel's entirety.

Most advice I've seen for the MArch III program is to include mostly drawing, painting, photography - creative outlets, which I have, but I assume I should include a chunk of my hotel experience. Question is - to what extent? Should I focus on one area within the hotel and show different stages of development? Do I lightly touch on several different areas? Do I include excerpts from the CD set (even though most schools emphasize not to include too much CAD work).

Any advice is much appreciated!

Jan 5, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

::ssjoebear::: looks like you're a pretty serious ultimate player. Right on. Your furniture and carpentry work is gorgeous.

Jan 5, 09 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

calihoya, MArch III programs? is that post-post-professional degree? or do you mean MArch 3yrs program since you don't seem to have b.arch?

Jan 6, 09 12:53 am  · 
 · 
calihoya

Sorry, yes, 3 year M.Arch programs.

Jan 6, 09 1:06 am  · 
 · 
joearch8

applitect, thanks for the kind words. with the absence of the word "frisbee" in your post, it sounds like maybe you are as well....?

Jan 6, 09 1:19 am  · 
 · 
lesov

Hi all, I'm also into crunch time... portfolio is done... working on the written pieces now. I am applying to UBC and they need a resume, resume supplement in prose form and statement of interest, gah! Not quite sure yet how I'm going to keep these 3 pieces separate.

anyway, I was wondering if most people just submitted their written stuff on loose paper, with just plain text or did you graphic it up a bit? Or bind these items in a separate book? Seems silly for 3 pieces of paper.
thanks and good luck to you all.

Jan 6, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
n400

When schools say that they don't require a portfolio from students with non-architecture majors, do you think they mean it?

Jan 6, 09 2:03 am  · 
 · 
joearch8

that is a good question....are you referring to the BAC?

Jan 6, 09 2:18 am  · 
 · 
n400

UF

Jan 6, 09 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

calihoya, it's awesome that you have 3 yrs in interior design.
Since I am not experienced as you are, this might be totally crappy idea. Someone else here will probably provide better insights but I would still like to help.

If i were you, I would show one specific area that you designed in hotel project in thorough procedure to present your thought process.
I believe reviewers care for design process as much as products.
I would include conceptual sketches related to that design and how it developed into CD phase.

You'd probably have lot of projects done, hence how about showing couple projects from different typology among lobbys, restaurants, bar? however, i would not show CAD drawings by themselves without showing any preceding process. In my case, i did not include the majority of CD documents because my process was basically my boss's hand sketches.

Jan 6, 09 2:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: