Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

gs11

What ETS lists on the score report, which is the % out of 100.

Dec 14, 08 3:25 am  · 
 · 
sourdough

Nick-

Most schools send out notifications in Mid to end of March.

Dec 14, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Eternal

how long did people make their personal history statement for Berkeley? b/c it doesn't say on the website

Dec 14, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
alarisch

What do you think... CV part of the portfolio, or separate? Same for personal statement?

Dec 14, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

I'm doing separate.

Dec 14, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

separate for sure

Dec 14, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

Eternal -- For the dual degree MCP and MArch, the Berkeley MCP Application said 500-750 words for teh personal history.

Dec 14, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Eternal

thanks gs11

Dec 15, 08 1:17 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

500 words isn't even enough for me to describe how frustrated I am that Columbia capped their essay at 500 words.

Dec 15, 08 3:14 am  · 
 · 
gs11

The best thing I learned in undergrad was that in architecture, sometimes it is best to break the rules...

Dec 15, 08 3:18 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

But I'm so scared... ( ._.)

Dec 15, 08 3:22 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Hey, look, the sun's back. That was quick.

Dec 15, 08 6:27 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

woo hoo! just sent out all the rest of my portfolios today. Glad to have that finished.

Dec 15, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

i'm running on fumes here. but the portfolio for columbia is submitted. now time to wrap up some online apps by midnight. yeah!

Dec 15, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Just submitted UCLA and GSD applications. Waiting for portfolios from the printers so I can mail them and need to submit Berkeley application.

Good luck to everyone that is scrambling to finish on time!

Dec 15, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

wait....is berkeley's online app (statement and such) due tonight by midnight or tomorrow by midnight?

Dec 15, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Its due tomorrow. After the 16th they give you access to the registration page to upload transcripts, resume, portfolio by the 22nd.

Dec 15, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

it's due tomorrow by NOON

Dec 15, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jola

yaaaaay, I'm done with berkeley, gsd and mit apps! now to finish that portfolio...

Dec 15, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

word. thanks for the info.

(and phew! disaster averted)

Dec 15, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

Columbia, MIT and GSD applications submitted. Such a relief to have it done with.

Dec 15, 08 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
maxpower

well, two of my recs havn't submitted yet. one because his computer died and the other i have no idea. fuck. the only time i got shit done with time to spare and this happens. $80 down the drain.

Dec 15, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

Relief indeed. GSD and Columbia all done. On to the next round.

Dec 15, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
maxpower

got another one on time, but can't get in contact with the last one. this sucks

Dec 16, 08 12:10 am  · 
 · 
di-c

aaaaaaaaah boy... my recommender hasn't done his duty yet either. what's up with that? I gave him two months and plenty of notices. :(

maxpower, I'm banking on the general understanding that schools are a bit more lax for the rec. letters. .....right guys? i didn't just make that up?

Dec 16, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
maxpower

i know some are for a fact, but i don't know about the GSD.

Dec 16, 08 12:24 am  · 
 · 
gs11

So, this morning when I checked the online tracking info for the portfolio I sent to Columbia last week, I found that it was listed as "returned to sender". I freaked out, but the admissions office was very nice when I talked to them this morning. I luckily was able to get another in the mail today.

maxpower and di-c: Everyone I have talked to has that one recommender who has not yet come through. I have to think that they are lenient to an extent, especially since every professor is in the middle of final reviews right now. Considering, it's amazing we get anyone to submit on time. Just keep reminding them.

3 down. *sigh*

Dec 16, 08 12:28 am  · 
 · 
bardamu

@maxpower, di-c

I gave my recommenders two months and several notices as well. Two recommenders were extremely prompt, but I have one recommender who's late. I realize these profs are busy, but I don't get why they commit if they honestly don't have the time. I'd rather someone say no than stress about whether they're really going to write the thing.

I called one of the schools today, and they said a few days late on a rec was fine.

Dec 16, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
di-c

um, maybe they are going to make it by midnight pacific time?

Dec 16, 08 12:31 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

If the recommenders did not get the recommendations in on time to MIT, they have to submit a paper recommendation instead. Is it the same for Columbia and the GSD?

Dec 16, 08 6:19 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

My Columbia application still says: GRE Scores: Not Received - I sent them about a month ago.

Anyone else having this problem?

Dec 16, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 
maxpower

well my last rec submitted. hopefully it will go through.

Dec 16, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

Where on the Columbia application does it tell you if your GRE scores were received?

Dec 16, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

freezingtimbers:

Once you log on it should be on the first screen. It used to have just the recommendation list but then about a day after I submitted my application it changed and had a list of everything that was required and said if it was received or not.

Dec 16, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

i'm going crazy trying to get one of my recommenders in as well. She insists UCLA must have online application. They can't be that hardline about it, can they? I mean, things are going to be pouring into them all this week.

Dec 16, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
andimdone

Berkeley's online app done! (pt.1 of course)

My roommates cheered when I submitted - they are so excited for when I stop talking about statements and histories and recommendations and portfolio covers every time they are in the same room as me.

Dec 16, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

my friends and family are similarly bored out of their minds by my lack of unique conversation topics, but they are supportive.

Is anyone making different portfolios for different schools?

Also, is anyone applying to UPenn for an MArch with a certificate in urban planning, landscape, or real estate? If so, do you plan on addressing these certificate concentrations in your 500 word statement>

Dec 16, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

From Columbia:
ETS sends us hundreds of GRE scores at any one time. Please be
patient as we update these records. All materials are date stamped when
they come into our office, so your GRE scores will show the date that we
received them.

Dec 16, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

three applications submitted by the skin of my teeth.

what's a good filehosting program to upload my portfolio? i'd love to get archinect's feedback and contribute something to the "commiserate here" threads, that i've been reading for the past two years.

Dec 16, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
helvetica

one of my recommenders is late as well, but he's submitting a paper app so I'm hoping that they haven't just updated it online. who knows...

ballyhoo- www.box.net is generally easy to use and free. it also seems to be a popular choice among past commiserators.

Dec 16, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

thanks helvetica, incidentally i used you on my portfolio to give it THE LOOK.

here's my portfolio as it stands. it was submitted it to columbia in its current state given the time constraints: http://www.box.net/shared/0q2334ydep

i would like to rework it for the other schools. i come from a non-arch background.

many thanks for all your feedback in advance!

Dec 16, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

whoo! got berkeley in just in the knick of time. ended up hacking up my initial two page statement of purpose for their additional personal history requirement. i dunno though...my brain got sort of tied into knots trying to keep the two contents seperate enough from each other. berkeley gets props for paperless portfolio(although...10MB?) but I wish they would just mush the two essays together like everyone else.

for anyone who's interested: i called the GSD who said that rec. letters received even as late as this friday should not cause major problems. email them w/a list of your relevant doc's if you desire a status check!

it's 5am where i am so.....i'm off to be reunited with my estranged bed for all of today/tomorrow. yay!

Dec 16, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
bardamu

@di-c:

just got through with today's nap after the Berkeley write-a-thon (more like hack and de-mush - a - thon) last night.

now to politely notify my recommender of the new MIT paper form he'll have to fill out...

Dec 16, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

"now to politely notify my recommender of the new MIT paper form he'll have to fill out..."

Ditto. Annoying.

Dec 16, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Does anyone know if the MIT portfolio deadline of January 2nd is "sent by" or "received by" ?

Dec 16, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

So I have decided that I might need some independent feedback on my portfolio, from someone who has never seen my work before.

However, I would like to not actually post it online until admissions is completely over with - if anyone, preferably with a good amount of experience, could check it over I would be very grateful.

What I am mainly wondering about is the order by which I am organizing my portfolio works, and if the narrative in each project comes across.

Dec 17, 08 9:28 am  · 
 · 
andimdone

has anyone received the email from Berkeley for access to the architecture candidate website yet?

Dec 17, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

says we should be getting something from Berkeley today

Dec 17, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

I was an MARCH/MCP candidate, so our deadline was Fri Dec 5. So lucky for that early date I know. ;) I think I got the email with the website info about 48 hrs later. That Sunday if I remember correctly.

Dec 17, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Yeah, I did the same thing. Do you know how we can upload the CV, GPA calculation sheet and scan of a transcript? I only have fields for the portfolio and department supplement but the department page says these things are needed.

Dec 17, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: