Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

arkitect.wannabe

lesov: i sent the portfolio to your e-mail...might show up as "dangerous" if you're using hotmail but yeah it's perfectly safe :P

Feb 25, 09 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

the girlfriend just got into UBC for urban planning!

so proud

now she's shadowing my acceptance to uic like crazy

Feb 25, 09 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

la_la ... what is the ucla rumor!?!?
i haven't heard anything and it's KILLING me.
gah!

Feb 25, 09 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

a friend of a friend of a friend got an email acceptance. i don't even know for which program...

i am totally perpetuating the anxiety, sorry.

Feb 25, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Andreas AT

switch, yes m.arch. I, Princeton it is. Portfolio swapping is doable:)

Thanks, I need it.

Feb 25, 09 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

ooh ooh i want to see, I applied for princeton m.arch 1 as well.

Feb 25, 09 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

10: doing calculus now...so painful (yet abstractly beautiful). Are you doing any of the pre-reqs?

Feb 25, 09 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

no i am starting calc. in late may. looks like it will conflict with at least one program I applied to (UMICH), but not conflict with at least one other (Yale).

As long as I get into Yale I'm fine. Right?

Any ideas if these schools have summer programs and if so, when they begin:

gsd
upenn
princeton
??

Feb 25, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

Summer programs....to take calc?... or summer programs b/c you have to start early? I think Yale and GSD have you start mid-august or so. Some of it depends on your status (ex. previous experience with architecture), but they also have a 1 week shop prep class which can't be waived (I think that was for Yale).

Feb 25, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

By the way...not that this will help the anxiety or offer much (or any) insight...but I poked my head into GSAPP's office today....very quiet and organized, no more mayhem of people running around filing papers into boxes like a few weeks ago... ahhh, the wait!

Feb 25, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

Wah, i was just about to say that the GSAPP-waiting is killing me already!!! LOL..

Feb 25, 09 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

meow-
summer programs for MArch 1s.

For example, Yale has you begin on July 13th.

UMich, I noticed, starts sometime in late June.

I am coming from a BFA so would probably need to take these. (can being well dressed provide advanced standing?)

Feb 25, 09 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

meow--

I just noticed you use a lot of ellipses in your writing... is that due to anxiety? Or is it strategic... (hmm)... repose?

Feb 26, 09 12:06 am  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

ha, no anxiety (well, none physically manifested). Ellipses make sense (to me, anyway) when neither a comma or semicolon seem appropriate, and yes, they do create a strategic pause (albeit grammatically incorrect). The increased occurrence of them in my writing might have something to do with that nice 1/2 bottle of pinot noir I just had.
As for the summer programs, sorry, I guess I can't be more help. I thought, perhaps naively, that planning on starting towards the end of August would suffice.
Yikes...you've made me ellipsis conscious! (this one was just for good measure).

Feb 26, 09 12:28 am  · 
 · 

After a half bottle of Nyquil I find myself drifting into hyphen territory. Extended multi-dash portmanteau-mash.

Feb 26, 09 12:33 am  · 
 · 

There should be an experimental program at these schools in which several students are accepted without the prerequisites, monitoring their progress through the volume finding and load-determining rigors of an architectural education. If they manage to fool everyone by their final semester, they get a mail-in rebate for the entire cost of their education.

Feb 26, 09 12:37 am  · 
 · 

at least a t-shirt. (made out of carbon nano-tubes).

Feb 26, 09 12:39 am  · 
 · 
meowkytekt

lol. I hope it was nyquil PM (or whatever its called) and you can pass out and dream of being accepted to your fave program.
Speaking of which, has anyone else had that dream yet?...where you get accepted to the program you want and then you wake up, happy?

10: Don't stress about calc/physics until you know which school you're going to, which you will in 3 weeks anyway. I've done quite a bit of research on it for NYC, let me know if you want more info.

I'm signing off...ah, hyphens, good stuff.

Feb 26, 09 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Nyquil "Truckdriver" TM, is an updated Nyquil blend designed with the safety concerns of a long-distance trucker in mind. Amphetamine dosage equivalent to all crystal meth consumed in Providence, RI in 2008.

I had the dream of getting into Princeton, except instead of Stan Allen calling me, it was Barack Obama. He said he was proud of me.
Naturally I woke up crying.

Feb 26, 09 12:50 am  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

N312 - No other word from U of Oregon yet. Also I tried to do the housing application online, but it requires a 2nd ID number (which they didn't send). I guess I'll just do the paper application instead.

Has anyone else started doing housing applications? Apparently you can apply even before getting an acceptance.

Still no call from UW either (I applied for the 3+ program). At least I have an out-of-control life-eating job to keep me from obsessively re-reading this page (at least *most* of the day).

Feb 26, 09 1:05 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

GOT INTO UofMICHIGAN! Found out 3 minutes ago on the wolverine site; after freaking out and running around the house. Applied to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/UofM.

Now I'm worried about the calc/phyics requirement, noticed its a 4 credit req; and my current undergrad department only allows for 2 credit courses. ahhhhh.

Anyways its a relief knowing I got in, so I feel comfortable sharing my SoP and portfolio now: will upload copies soon as I can find them.

Good luck to everyone else!

Feb 26, 09 1:32 am  · 
 · 
N312

Having a job would definitely help ... too bad I don't have one at the moment ... that also translates to no plan B.

Also no call from UW and no contact from any school I applied. Maybe I should stop following this thread religiously and move my concentration to something else. This is really painful.

Feb 26, 09 1:49 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

woohoo! congrats watanabe! i have a friend who graduated from UofM program and he looooooooooved every minute of it! though i wouldn't be surprised if you got into more of the schools of your choice.

Feb 26, 09 1:57 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

portfolio: http://www.box.net/shared/psv32flre5
SoP:
1. http://www.box.net/shared/0lfsspdnat (this is the text I submitted, but I lost the pdf w/the proper formatting)
2. http://www.box.net/shared/25jadm6jco (this is an old copy of the SoP, with the "layout" i had, but it's an older revision of the text.

Had a 3.8-9 GPA (easy Japanese scoring, 80-100 was an A) as well as a 710Q 610V 4(4.5? forget) writing score on my GRE.

The portfolio is a bit hard to "read": had a hand made cover/binding and there are pieces that are "missing" in the pdf because I used some traditional media for some places: IE: the darkroom section, and my table of contents that appeared above the white space in "this is not"(a portfolio) It was a 4x5" contact print w/table of contents superimposed over it, printed in darkroom.
Also, I used "layers": any section where there are zig-zagged lines going through were guides for me to cut out that empty space. Hope it makes sense :)

In other news; I'm so relieved, I have a 4 month old baby, finishing my undergraduate degree (3 days a week) and teaching English (3 days a week) in Japan. Was losing my mind with the prospect of having to do that for another year.

Looking forward to hearing back from the ivy's, but I am just tickled that I will be able to pursue a degree at all this year!

Feb 26, 09 2:05 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

sorry for the "excessive" quotes. Was a bit "excited."

Feb 26, 09 5:52 am  · 
 · 
switch

congrats watanabe!

just had a look at your portfolio, lots of text!

probably more on one page than I have in all of mine. perhaps that's something i should work on?

best of luck with the rest of your apps.

Feb 26, 09 6:44 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

I don't think the text was a good part of it; it's mostly rambling and the result of throwing the portfolio together in 3-4 days of no sleeping as a result of work/school/procrastination. I didn't touch on what I wanted to, mostly I wanted to show that there was *some* sort of thinking going on, as I think the photos on their own may or may not be read that way.

To be honest I am pretty surprised I have been accepted anywhere, I had pretty much resigned myself to having to reapply next year after reading about all increase in applications.

Feb 26, 09 7:08 am  · 
 · 
zdmdmz

congratulations watanabe!

BTW, in your "View application data" option, what kind of "degree type" does it show? Mine is "bachelor of architecture", which is wrong and should be "bachlor of science". I am worried whether it will matter. What about yours?

Feb 26, 09 7:37 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

I can't find "degree type":
Academic Career: Graduate Architecture
Academic Program: Architecture Three Plus MArch

under Application Data, at the bottom for the degree I (will) have:

Bachelor of Arts

Guess that's what you were looking for?

Feb 26, 09 7:57 am  · 
 · 
zdmdmz

Yes it is under "Previous School" column.

I guess I might call them to ask why my degree was shown as Bachelor of Architecture.

Well, I also apply to M Arch 3G in Umich but still no news and no new link of "view decision" now. A bit of worried.

Feb 26, 09 8:03 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Mine just showed up today; I had been religiously refreshing all my app's websites. The day before yesterday was rather glum when I read that someone else had gotten into U of M and I had no status update from them.

Seems like they're not rolling out everything all at once, but rather trickling out, so don't give up hope yet!

Feb 26, 09 8:10 am  · 
 · 
zdmdmz

Thanks for your cft!

No new is not the worst news!

Feb 26, 09 8:20 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

congrats watanabe! your post about getting in has completely derailed my morning routine before work as i checked wolverine and got in too!!! needless to say i phoned parents and boyfriend and have now just been generally unproductive. guess i should go make some breakfast and high-tail it to work!

congrats!

wheeee!!

Feb 26, 09 8:21 am  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Watanabe, The "View Decission" link will disappear in a few days and a "accept or decline decision" will appear to the right of it. Mine had changed to that and I freaked out for a second, thinking they withdrew my acceptance but after reading the link I relaxed. I'm anxious to get my official letter from UMich. From what all my prof's are saying, UMich has a lot of money and last year 6o-something out of 100-or so were offered scholarships. So let's hope!

Feb 26, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

My link was a Accept or decline decision from the start; my freak-out was in the split-second yesterday between seeing the word "decline" and then comprehending the "Accept or" bit! Was expecting the "view decision" link you had talked about.

Glad to hear about the money, another wrinkle to consider if I do get into one of the east coast schools but with no money/aid. Let me know when your letter arrives! Won't stress about it till then as I know it'll take extra time to cross the Pacific.

Feb 26, 09 8:39 am  · 
 · 
lauren bebry

For those of you who got into Michigan -- Congrats!! that's reallly awesome! quick question -- did you also get an email or call telling you your decision was available online? or, did you just check and it was there?

Feb 26, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

l.b. -- just checked the website - no notification that it was up.

i also only had 'accept or decline' from the start -- which i suppose was nice -- one less click ;)

fingers crossed some $$ comes my way, that out of state tuition will be hard to stomach in the face of in-state at texas.

so stoked :D

Feb 26, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
kaysc

Ok, so something really weird happened...
I checked my Michigan status this morning and the new link (Accept/Decline Admission) was on there.. so naturally I freaked out and told everyone I knew...
Just got to work and checked again and now its gone... I've refreshed the page a million times but it doesn't seem to be coming back! Is it possible they accidently updated my status and then took it back? This sucks :(

Feb 26, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

ooh yuck. i've got the same story.

Feb 26, 09 10:19 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

no

way

x3(me too)

Feb 26, 09 10:24 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

so who wants to phone? ;) i'm stuck at work.

Feb 26, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

maybe lost in stress can update us? sounds like he may have had a different process: ie: actually accepted.

Feb 26, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Oh wow, I can't check the wolverine access from my wireless at school. They restirct our access to certain sites. But I'll check once I get home. Let me try and call them and figure out what is going on.

Feb 26, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 

obviously you didn't accept in time,

Feb 26, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Just called, UMich. They turned off the link. We were not suppose to see that link. They will email all accepted applicants that they can check their wolverine access about their decision. Because they are still rolling out their admissions, we are not suppose to know. They colud not verify any acceptances over the phone. They also said that the official letters will be going out soon and we should be getting it in the mail in a week or so. I know it isn't good news, but atleast it isn't bad news.

Feb 26, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Just to make it clear, the person on the phone could not verify that if you saw the link that you were actually accepted. So just keep your eyes open for the email.

Feb 26, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

Thanks for phoning!

That's annoying.
But I guess it does make me feel a bit better.

Feb 26, 09 11:15 am  · 
 · 

My degree type for UMich was also listed as B.Arch when in fact it was BFA. Insulting, and worrisome.

Feb 26, 09 11:15 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

Thanks for calling lost in stress.

Do you know if that includes both 2G and 3G applicants, or just 3G?

Feb 26, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

I'm assuming both programs.

Feb 26, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: