Archinect
anchor

Summer Internship Atlanta

odee

I'm currently finishing my 2nd year of Grad School (M.Arch 3.5 yr program) at Georgia Tech and am looking for a summer internship in Atlanta.

I'm highly interested in design build firms, smaller studio environments, but would be equally as interested in larger firms.

I have done lots of searching and emailing, but have yet to get something set up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 08 12:38 pm
Apurimac

Get your portfolio set, make calls, pound pavement. Visit the firms in person to give out your resume and cover letter. Follow up constantly. Same thing applies for gettin' jobs anywhere. Don't just stop at email, if you can actually go to the firms your interested in and drop off worksamples/resume with an HR rep you stand a much better chance of getting a job. Do all of this as early as possible so you have the next couple of months to follow up with them.

Apr 1, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, and try and do all this through the GAtech career networking. I'm absolutely positive you will find something.

Apr 1, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

odee did you not go to the Ga Tech career fair? Thats how most of my friends got jobs.

Apr 1, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
odee

About the career fair, I had my midterm review that day so I missed it. Really bad timing, but my professor commutes from out of town so we couldn't change it. I didn't think it was that big of a deal then, but now it seems to be a huge disadvantage.

Thanks for the comments. I have been sending my portfolio, resume, and cover letter out but HR departments seem to be some sort of black hole. Anyway, I'm gonna keep trying.

Apr 1, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Maybe some of your classmates got direct numbers to HR or contacts within the firm. Emailing them or calling them directly would be much better then sending it to the black hole :)

Apr 1, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

odee, the profs are very helpful for finding openings for you... David Green knows a lot of people around town as do the others and call up alums they are all over the place

Apr 2, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i second that! quite a few people got jobs through him and some of the other professors.

Apr 2, 08 7:23 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

laurilan is an alum, maybe she can get you a job :)

Apr 2, 08 10:54 am  · 
 · 
odee

Thanks all, I will talk to David Green. Great guy I spent last summer in Paris with him.

I've decided I'm going to follow up with a phone call to the places I have sent my resume and such. That is the plan for today. Thanks again.

Apr 2, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
odee

laurilan, if you know of any places to look please let me know. ;-)

Apr 2, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

har. i think tzenyujuei is trying to be funny. if you'd like an internship down in good ol' orlando, i'll be vacating my position. opportunity to work on a huge LEED project.

sorry, i really can't help you out up in atl...

Apr 2, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

hey odee,

If you are looking for smaller "workshop" environments, I would look into these firms:

Plexus r+d (http://www.plexus-architecture.com/)

Bldgs (http://bldgs.org/)

Dencity (http://www.dencity.us/)

Lightroom (http://www.lightroom.tv/)

These firms are rarely hiring, but sending a resume never hurt! If I remember correctly, Lightroom Studio has some kind of summer intern program or fellowship. It probably isn't good pay, but could be very interesting.

Apr 3, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
odee

Bluesman, Thanks for the links. I will definitely look into those.

Apr 7, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Did you consider HOK? I know it's a big corporate firm and all . . .

Apr 7, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

sorry odee, but i dont think any of those firms blues mentioned are hiring. lightroom may be doing the summer thing, but a few years ago bill was offering a grand for a summer of 40 hr weeks. i know his architecture work is drying up with the rest of atl, so i think your best bet is corporate firms doing non local work.

Apr 8, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
odee

bucku, That's the story here in town, job market isn't looking so hot, especially for interns. I have been applying mostly to corporate offices here in town as well as NYC. We'll see if something turns up, thanks all for the posts.

Apr 10, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
asd

i did a search at the start of the year and had similar results.
i'd avoid the small places especially ones doing alot of residential work since that market is uncertain.

i know the small firms seem alluring but it's just a waste of time and ink, unless you have connections (i'd probably email work samples if you can get away with it).

http://careercenter.aia.org/search/results/?job_state=10&ss=0&sec=browse
has a few intern openings, as well as the ol faithful archinect listing

your best bet might really be to focus on the large offices
ditto bucku's comments on lightroom - flashing lights...

Apr 14, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
odee

asd,

Thanks. Lightroom thing looks interesting but, FREE, ouch! I've been hitting the big ones with emails, phone calls start tomorrow. They'd better look out! lol

Apr 16, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

I just heard, also saw, that lightroom is hiring right now. I dont know how much he is paying, but i know that he is looking for a new pupil. It may be worth a summer if you can get him to pay- if.

Apr 17, 08 8:26 am  · 
 · 
stone

be very, very afraid of lightroom ... unless, of course, you enjoy being taken advantage of simply to glorify somebody else.

Apr 17, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
med.

Cooper Carry, HOK. and TVS are large corporate arch. firms in Atlanta too. I believe both have a lot of work going on right now and are in need of staffing their projects.

Apr 17, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
odee

Thanks all for the help. The search is over, I received a summer fellowship at Lightroom which I am really excited about.

May 1, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

congrats odee,

Contrary to popular belief on this thread, I think you made a good decision and you will be learning many different medias. Let me know how it goes. I almost applied for the job opening, but have a pretty good gig right now at a larger firm.

Just be careful. I have heard Mr. Carpenter can be a very "interesting" person!!!

May 1, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

yeah congrats. Let us know at the end of your fellowship how everything went. I know bill and know his last employee but only have one opinion of someone who worked with him. I would like to see someone else's impression. Have fun.

May 2, 08 8:33 am  · 
 · 
odee

Bluesman7,

"interesting" huh?? can you please indulge?? I know nothing of Bill, although he seemed nice and enthusiastic at first chat.

May 2, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
bucku

odee, you done with your internship yet? i was wondering how it went this summer. were you enlightened?

Sep 4, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
odee

bucku,

I have completed my internship.

Working of Bill Carpenter was a great experience. Lightroom is a very multi-faceted and creative firm so I got to work on architectural projects as well as other design projects, website, graphic design and a movie. One process that taught me much about the profession was taking a job from schematic design all the way through CD's. Completing this process was most beneficial and I find myself referencing things I learned during this process everyday.

The freedom and creative environment embodied in small firms is very attractive and being exposed to this environment made me think more about taking this route in the profession. Although I do want to work in a large firm and get a feel for large scale projects and complicated programs.

But, yes, enlightened I am. Thanks all for the references.

Oct 7, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: