Archinect
anchor

freelance contract??

rootseven

couldn't find any topics...curious if there are any examples or references for protecting my current employer when i do freelance work. thanks if you have any links or boosts to topics.

Mar 31, 08 12:51 pm
treekiller

this is a new twist on this topic - a few other threads explore how much to charge.

First, ask them how you can proceed and keep them happy that their interests are protected. Some firms are more flexible and less paranoid about their insurance & liability.

I once got a verbal agreement with a boss as long as I didn't do any work in the office, use any equipment, or identify the firm as being associated with the project. Many principals remember when they were young and doing freelance stuff too. remember that your time is yours to do anything with - the companies time is theres.

be discreet and don't let the project interfere with any of your company responsibilities.

good luck!

Mar 31, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

most contracts in NL prohibit doing freelance work, but i found if you are honest and as TK said it doesnt interfere with your office work then there shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 31, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
rootseven

tree + p2an:
thanks for your insight, very helpful! i guess my main concern is if something gets hairy, they could potentially jump in after my firms assets. i'm curious if a release of liability clause would suffice...considering this proposed work wouldn't require my stamp.

thanks again all!

Mar 31, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
root7

: there always is a lingering possibility that your client might (innocently or not-so-innocently) decide at some future date that your current employer (or your employer's E&O coverage) could be tapped to take care of problems that might arise on the project.

in your proposal and in your agreement with your client, I recommend that you state very clearly that a) you are undertaking this work as an unlicensed individual; b) that your employer has no connection whatsoever with this project; c) that your employer is not supervising or standing behind your efforts on this project in any manner whatsoever; and d) that your employer will not stand behind or defend any errors, or alleged errors, that you might make on the project.

seems somewhat draconian, doesn't it? well --- it's not uncommon for the clients of moonlighting architects to infer - for whatever reason - that the individual's employer knows what the individual is doing and is somehow supervising the delivery of those services (*). for that reason, it's vital that you go the extra mile to make it absolutely clear that you're doing this work on your own, as a private individual and the client has no recourse whatsoever beyond you to your employer.

good luck!

(*) this can happen when you take calls at the office from your client; use office phones, e-mail or fax to support your client; use office time to "run out" to the site, or - as has happened once or twice here in our firm - allow the office's title block or name to show up on your drawings or in your specifications. firm's hate it when that happens!

Mar 31, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ie, don't give out your office phone number or use any letter head.

Don't even talk to the client on your cell phone while sitting in the office. if they call, step outside.

Mar 31, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet
This

one's not bad. I used it as a refernce for making my own for arch viz work. Not sure it has everything you need in there for architectural work though.

Also it's more about protectin yourself not your employer.

Mar 31, 08 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
rootseven

this talk really makes me want to start my own studio soon.

our office has some books from these guys:LINK. i found information on liability and contracts very helpful. i wish my pro.prac class in school touched more on this...or at least provided some more resources for those interested; but come to think of it, i don't think i was that concerned @ that point in time anyway. ha

thanks for all of the great insight!

Apr 1, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

You might want to track down a copy of this book ... it's strong:

Apr 1, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

that's my roadmap - I was lucky that Peter Piven taught my pro practice class at Penn.

Apr 1, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: