Archinect
anchor

Revit to 3dstudio

EcoArchSefa

Hi everyone..im a novice at 3dstudio max and fairly proficient with Revit. I'm wondering if anyone know of a link that explains some basic steps of importing a 3d Revit into 3dstudio max and applying materials. thanks

Mar 27, 08 1:42 am
FOG Lite

I think nPower has a translator for revit to max and back.

Mar 27, 08 2:04 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Wait until Revit 2009, direct export to 3d studio.

Mar 27, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
EcoArchSefa

thanks guys

Mar 27, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

probably direct output to a new version of Max, as they have no new reasons to upgrade (to Max)

Mar 27, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

Revit 2009 now has mental ray for render, instead of accurender.
Rendering in Revit will be looking much MUCH better

Mar 28, 08 8:08 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I doubt it. They put that Viz render in other products but it was useless outside of Max/Viz.

My money is on that they'll have just enough to make you interested, not enough to make a decent image. Why would they? They've got monopolies in most of those markets anyway.

I don't like their business approach, if you haven't gathered.

Mar 28, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

I would say more about the mental ray engine, but NDA limits stop that from happening. The best thing is the integration of .fbx exports, which allows for direct export links to 3ds OR any other renderer that has picked up the format. For a list check here.

Mar 28, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

all the more reasons to jump ship to Rhinoceros

Mar 28, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Does anyone know how to link a revit model (2009) to Max? I know how to direct output the model into Max, but it does not recognize changes that I make later on.

Jul 22, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
postal

you cannot "link" to max... however, that npower translator is supposed to do something like that...

Jul 22, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mertens3d

this thread is old and all...but just in case. We use fbx and import that into max. do this: (I've written a script that does it to make it quicker)
1) save your current materials to a temp library
2) erase everything in the file
3) import the fbx
4) re-apply the materials by name

Xref this file into other files as needed.

When you need to update the file, repeat the numbered steps.

Easy enough,

gregory
mertens3d.com

Jul 6, 09 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: